Pumpkin Scissors

#1
Just seen the trailer and it looks like an anime to be watched, I think its had the first ep aired in japan already this week. Looks promising



Synopsis

The long war against Frost Republic scarred many places of the Empire; famine, plague, returned soldiers who become bandits… Worrying about these "war damages" resulting from the devastations of the nation and people's minds, the Empire Army orgnaizes the 3rd section of Information Bureau known as "Pumpkin Scisors", and they assigned the section for the duty of recovery from the war damage.

Three years have passed since the truce so called "thin ice agreement". The 3rd section hasn't accomplished their task, yet. Rather, they are absorbed in paper works, and without notice, people ridicule that it is an "Excuse Section" that suppress people's complaint. However, they strive to achieve their tasks. One day, a man offers a help to them. It was a big guy who used to be a soldier. Dangling an iron lantern from his waist, he handles a heavy gun one-handed.
[/img]
 
#2
I downloaded the first episode yesterday, just have to watch it now. It was like D. Gray-man, as the group rushed a quick 1st episode out the day after it aired in Japan!
 
#3
Miaka-chan said:
I downloaded the first episode yesterday, just have to watch it now. It was like D. Gray-man, as the group rushed a quick 1st episode out the day after it aired in Japan!
There was an article on Pumpkin in the Aug edition of Newtype, it sounds like a good'n,
Miaka what was D.Gray-man like? I've seen a couple of screen captures and the artwork looks good, but I don't know much about this one though :oops:

PS I dont' want to start another thread so i'll ask here, has anyone seen the 2003 Supernatural/Fantasy/Shoujo-Ai series Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito and if so is there a possibility that it'll be released in the US/UK in the future, or is it one of those obscure titles that won't be picked up.
Thanks
 
#4
D. Gary-man wasn't too bad, although it's hard to gauge from just 1 episode. The characters look like they're going to be very interesting and the overall storyline seems quite refreshing.

Pumpkin Scissors was the opposit! Very cliched storyline (post-apocolyptic world, military power, unhappy ex-soldiers = conflict!). The characters seem interesting enough and although they're also pretty stereotypical, if they're portrayed properly, it's probably something that can be easily overlooked - one can hope! I guess guys into tanks and guns might enjoy it a little more :lol:

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito isn't something I would have thought would get a license, but who knows, stranger things have happened :wink:
 
#5
Miaka-chan said:
D. Gary-man wasn't too bad, although it's hard to gauge from just 1 episode. The characters look like they're going to be very interesting and the overall storyline seems quite refreshing.

Pumpkin Scissors was the opposit! Very cliched storyline (post-apocolyptic world, military power, unhappy ex-soldiers = conflict!). The characters seem interesting enough and although they're also pretty stereotypical, if they're portrayed properly, it's probably something that can be easily overlooked - one can hope! I guess guys into tanks and guns might enjoy it a little more :lol:
Thats about the same conclusion I got from them, Pumpkin Scissors does look more promising.
 
#6
Miaka-chan said:
D. Gary-man wasn't too bad, although it's hard to gauge from just 1 episode. The characters look like they're going to be very interesting and the overall storyline seems quite refreshing.
If you didn't like Bleach, you won't really like D.Gray-man.

It sounds like some sort of weird halloween anime, but meh, I'll give it a chance.
 
#7
desert_skunk said:
PS I dont' want to start another thread so i'll ask here, has anyone seen the 2003 Supernatural/Fantasy/Shoujo-Ai series Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito and if so is there a possibility that it'll be released in the US/UK in the future, or is it one of those obscure titles that won't be picked up.
Thanks
Its rubbish. It kinda started off ok but wierd, and the character designs are interesting, the main lead is pretty cool. There was an interesting sexiness about it.

But its utterly barmy, the story is totally different to the game (to the point that game fans didn't know what was going on). Its got some kind of sliders type crap going on, where each episode is in a totally different setting. Its also got some really annoying characters, and frankly I just gave up after about 5 episodes.

If you want shoujo-ai/yuri anime you would be better off tracking down something interesting like Maria-sama ga Miteru, some people like Kannazuki no Miko too, and Strawberry Panic is frequently cited as a guilty pleasure. Theres also the obvious choice Nana and Simoun has a hardcore cult following (I thought it was horribly animated and scripted - maybe it gets better into it, but the rot had set in).
 
#8
Laughing Manji said:
desert_skunk said:
PS I dont' want to start another thread so i'll ask here, has anyone seen the 2003 Supernatural/Fantasy/Shoujo-Ai series Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito and if so is there a possibility that it'll be released in the US/UK in the future, or is it one of those obscure titles that won't be picked up.
Thanks
Its rubbish. It kinda started off ok but wierd, and the character designs are interesting, the main lead is pretty cool. There was an interesting sexiness about it.

But its utterly barmy, the story is totally different to the game (to the point that game fans didn't know what was going on). Its got some kind of sliders type crap going on, where each episode is in a totally different setting. Its also got some really annoying characters, and frankly I just gave up after about 5 episodes.

If you want shoujo-ai/yuri anime you would be better off tracking down something interesting like Maria-sama ga Miteru, some people like Kannazuki no Miko too, and Strawberry Panic is frequently cited as a guilty pleasure. Theres also the obvious choice Nana and Simoun has a hardcore cult following (I thought it was horribly animated and scripted - maybe it gets better into it, but the rot had set in).
Thanks Miaka and Manji, I'll think I'll give Yami to Boushi a miss, there's a box set out in Japan, it's cheap too, only £170 for a 13 episode series (without subs) :roll:
I haven't seen many shoujo-ai/yuri shows though I do have Kannazuki but it's on my to watch pile and out of the others I'd like to see the much mentioned Strawberry Panic get licensed.
On a side note I've read small articles on the following shows have you seen any of them? if so what are your thoughts?
Tona-Gura!
Juosei
Sky Girls
Coyote Ragtime Show (It's been licensed for a US release but I've seen a vast number of varied comments.)
Thanks again.
 
#9
Rukario said:
Miaka-chan said:
D. Gary-man wasn't too bad, although it's hard to gauge from just 1 episode. The characters look like they're going to be very interesting and the overall storyline seems quite refreshing.
If you didn't like Bleach, you won't really like D.Gray-man.
That's a little presumptious!
I liked Bleach until the never ending fights in the shinigami world! I gave up at episode 36. The likelihood is D. Gray-man will be a 13 or 26 episode series, so there won't be enough of it to get too bored!
Besides I give every shounen fight/action series a chance before I give up on it and then I usually watch a lot before giving up (i.e. Bleach 36 episodes, Shaman King 36 episodes, Groove Adventure Rave 20 episodes). I'm not liking Naruto very much and even after 17 episodes I'm still not liking it - I'm bored! - but I won't give up on it just yet ^__^

desert_skunk said:
Tona-Gura!
I think it's Tonagura! without the space ^__^
Anyway, it's a very generic ecchi anime. Very perverted guy + childhood friend who returns to live next door again. Guy has a gun toting younger sister, girl has sex starved older sister who pushes the guy on her younger sister (let's him in bedroom etc). It's a typical anime of it's kind, but quite amusing, reasonably attractive characters, but by far the most entertaining thing is the guy's gun toting sister - she's a riot ^__^

Only watch it if you like ecchi and don't care how new or fresh the idea is, or you just want something daft and light hearted to watch!
 
#10
desert_skunk said:
Thanks Miaka and Manji, I'll think I'll give Yami to Boushi a miss, there's a box set out in Japan, it's cheap too, only £170 for a 13 episode series (without subs) :roll:
Whoa! You were actually considering buying it? Listen, for a tenner, I will call over to your house if I am in the area and kick you in the nuts. The pain will disappear much quicker than 13 x 25 minutes of Yamiboshi, and you will save yourself £160. Deal? :lol

It was fansubbed by some crew, and at least the fansubbers gave extensive release notes, commenting on the wierdness of the plot, they tried to summarise the plot and they commented on how it was totally different to the original game. In untranslated japanese? Scary.

desert_skunk said:
I haven't seen many shoujo-ai/yuri shows though I do have Kannazuki but it's on my to watch pile and out of the others I'd like to see the much mentioned Strawberry Panic get licensed.
I think Kannazuki no Miko might be one of the first overtly yuri-ish show to get licensed. Normally anything girl x girl would probably be hyped to death. Strawberry Panic! might work better, if you want to hype a yuri show like that its probably better if it appeals to baser instincts (rather than trying to use something highbrow). But somehow yuri stuff is totally off the radar, boys-love shows are quite common. Even Kannazuki had some mecha action to disguise the yuri stuff.

desert_skunk said:
On a side note I've read small articles on the following shows have you seen any of them? if so what are your thoughts?
Tona-Gura!
I can't remember any of the few comments I have heard on it. I don't think fansubber interest is strong, so there is nothign for english speaking fans to comment on.

desert_skunk said:
Correction: Jyu Oh Sei tl: Planet of the Beast King

This was the unsung hero of the April season. When Utawarerumono, Ouran Host CLub & Haruhi ran away with the fanbase, this one was overlooked. It probably had the worst mix of loser fansubbers to ever grace a good anime. The few bloggers who stayed the course were astounded by it, I have seen the first ep myself, and I was floored. Fantastic production values, an interesting story and excellent potential. However the word out there is that the ending is a stinker (though it comes from the manga, I just wish that maybe Studio Bones used their well known talent for rewriting their source material in this case).

This is one show that really should be licensed.

desert_skunk said:
Sky Girls
Have it at home, but haven't watched. Meant to be pretty to watch.

desert_skunk said:
Coyote Ragtime Show (It's been licensed for a US release but I've seen a vast number of varied comments.)
Thanks again.
I enjoyed it, and found it fun to watch. Certainly for the middle stretch I was swallowing down the episodes as they appeared. It was never as good as it wanted to be, but its hard to be ambitous when your closest comparison is Cowboy Bebop. Its nice to have good action shows every now and then.
 
#11
Laughing Manji said:
desert_skunk said:
Thanks Miaka and Manji, I'll think I'll give Yami to Boushi a miss, there's a box set out in Japan, it's cheap too, only £170 for a 13 episode series (without subs) :roll:
Whoa! You were actually considering buying it? Listen, for a tenner, I will call over to your house if I am in the area and kick you in the nuts. The pain will disappear much quicker than 13 x 25 minutes of Yamiboshi, and you will save yourself £160. Deal? :lol
Ahhhh (places hands between legs). That's okay Maji, I love my anime but not enough to go that mad with £170 :)

Big thanks to yourself and Miaka-chan, you both seem to know your stuff and it looks like there may be some good shows hopefully to be released in the future, myself out of the shows already licensed I have Black Cat, Full Metal Panic 2nd raid, Ergo Proxy, Fate/Stay Night, Bleach, Guyver (new) and Noien on pre order to look forward to, and when they get a streetdate Black Lagoon, Witchblade and Coyote Ragtime will definatly be added to the list. Add that lot to the shows I'm already collecting there's no funds left to be forking out for a £170 kick in the nuts. :lol:
 
#12
Its Okay, I am in another country anyway, so flight expenses would probably raise my fee from £10 to £10+expenses.

That list of anime is a pretty impressive the word on most of them is that they are worth buying. Especially FMP! 2nd Raid, Ergo Proxy, Noein & Black Lagoon. If you had to save some money there, do it with Black Cat & Witchblade.
 
#14
WOW just watched it and OMG this is brilliant, the blue light the huge ghost like visage he creates

The comedy is light and doesn't detract from the story, like when the dog just randomly bites that guys head.

Backstories look good from the credits too, a super-soldier, a bride (I'm assuming groom killed in war or on the wedding day as the stereotypes usually go). An organisation that fights those who prevent the after war relief happening, whether they are bandits or super-soldiers abondoned and forgotten, and you know they're gonna run into a mad scientist who created these men and is still working away in a lab somewhere.

Bring on ep. 2
 
#15
I've yet to get to see this but I've heard good things from elswhere. Good things from here too it seems. Mental note.. clear some disk space.

And agreed on the comments about D.Gray Man being tricky to judge from episode one. I liked it enough, but hm. I reckon it'll one of those shows you have a to watch 5 or so eps to get into. =/
 
Top