PS3 JRPG's What do people like?

Hokum

Straw Hat Pirate
What's out there and what is any good? Some mini reviews would be nice ;)

OK so we've had

Final Fantasy XIII: not bought it yet but want to

Eternal Sonata: Not sure haven't bought, put off by the setting

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope: not bought it yet

Enchanted Arms: Played on the 360 and kind of liked it, enough in fact I've picked it up for the PS3 and may play it again some time.

Folklore: Not sure haven't bought but want to.

Valkyria Chronicles: Not strictly a JRPG but reason enough (IMHO) to buy a PS3! A stunning game from beginning to end.

White Knight Chronicles: looks like its a bit Final Fantasy online, so it puts me off..

Demon Souls: Want to buy but not willing to import, looks good though.

What are peoples opinions on these and other games which i may of missed?

From your list I've got Final Fantasy XIII and Folklore
FF XIII is your cliche FF. I like the battle system, but I liked the battle system in XII a lot more. The battle system in it is the best ATB so far, but in my opinion it's far beyond the point where we should have something more Bayonetta-like.

I'm stil on chapter 3 of it, so I can't offer an in-depth opinion yet, but so far it is very enjoyable.

Folklore was a great game. More action than RPG though. Possibly one of the most under-appreciated games of the ps3 yet.

Final Fantasy XIII: Ryo has bought, but not played yet. (I've got other games to finish.)
Eternal Sonata: Ryo's bought, but it hasn't attracted me to it.
Folklore: Looks like an iteresting game, but I'll wait for price to drop and when I get money.
Valkyria Chronicles: Almost finished, but I need to get back to it (after Bayonetta).

Other than that, I'm not sure about what other JRPGs there are... The only other thing I want to get is Dante's Inferno, which should be a gourging piece of meat.

I highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles. I've not got far with it since it's difficult and you really need to dedicate some time to it. However, it's by far the best JRPG game out on PS3 right now. Eternal Sonata I may look into one day.

End of Eternity will be out at some point in the future. This video convinced me to get it. It's hilarious (and yes I know it's from the 360 version).

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vobp1r1BAzY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vobp1r1BAzY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Valkyria Chronicles is excellent. Initially overwhelming because there's really nothing else like it, but when it clicks... oh man, what a game.

The only other one I've played is Folklore, and that bored me. Both the adventure aspect and the combat are too simplistic for my liking, and having to make your way through dugeons twice, once with each character, makes it feel like a real slog.

Will be getting Resonance of Fate at some point.

White Knight Chronicles is meant to be your typical JRPG, but is also meant to have one of the most complicated menu systems ever seen in such a game. If you play JRPG regularly, that probably isn't a problem, but I am waiting for it to go cheap before purchasing.

Speaking of pricing. ShopTo.net have been really good on pricing recently. I just ordered Red Steel 2 on Wii with the motion plus device for £29. Everywhere else it's £37-39.

Anyone have other recommendations for cheap games online? I use the other well-known sites too (HMV, Game, Play, Amazon).

None of them above are really good by last-gen standards, at all. Also avoid Star Ocean, it's like THE worst JRPG I have ever played.

I haven't played Valkyria yet, I'm already aware of how well praised it is universally so naturally it can't be bad, might pick it up soon though.

I'm intending on picking up Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles pretty soon. I'll play ES first because I hear its shorter and I think I'll enjoy it, with the plus being its now cheap and be worth the money now. VC I will try to play. I didn't exactly love the demo but I know that's not representative of the whole game so I'ma gonna get it a well. Looking forward to playing both.

I was intrigued by Star Ocean, but I suppose I best leave it if this thread is anything to go by.

Jayme said:
I was intrigued by Star Ocean, but I suppose I best leave it if this thread is anything to go by.
Yeah, so was I until I actually went out and bought it, came home and put up with fourty hours of torture and I haven't even finished it.

Tales of Vesperia was a great game by the way, the plot was REALLY lacking but the characters save it, not sure about it ever getting released on PS3 over here, very unlikely.

Lupus said:
Jayme said:
Yeah, so was I until I actually went out and bought it, came home and put up with fourty hours of torture and I haven't even finished it.

Tales of Vesperia was a great game by the way, the plot was REALLY lacking but the characters save it, not sure about it ever getting released on PS3 over here, very unlikely.

it is, was confirmed ages ago

Namco Bandai have said that they have no plans to release the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia in the US. And no US release means no European release. But I'm hoping they have a change of heart, as I'd probably buy it even though I've finished the 360 version.

If we are listening to Wikipedia, they apparently also said the same thing about Eternal Sonata and that came out eventually.

Back