PlayStation Retro Discussion (inc. PS3, digital PS1 & PS2 Classics & PS Plus Premium)

TL;DR:
  • New user interface
  • Option to save state & rewind your game at any point.
  • Digital purchases done from previous platforms (i.e. PS3, PSP/Vita) will carry over if the game is included in the line-up at no extra cost for download.
  • Select games will also be available without the need to have the membership.
So far the line-up for PlayStation includes the following - highlighted are those previously released on PS3:
  • Ape Escape*
  • Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf)
  • Kurushi Final (I.Q. Intelligent Qube)**
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Mr. Driller
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 2
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Worms World Party
*Japanese version was released on PS3's PSN store.
**European version was released on PS3's PSN store.

The line-up for PlayStation Portable includes the following:
  • Ridge Racers 2
  • Super Stardust Portable
For PlayStation 2 they are re-using the titles from their PS2 on PS4 initiative however it's not yet confirmed if they will be patching the games to fix the technical issues affecting most of the catalog (for instance many of them are technically unplayable on PS5).
It's a pleasant surprise that they will be honouring PS1 purchases made on older hardware. It's just a shame that the selection of PS1 games is looking pretty anaemic at the launch of the new service. No doubt it will follow the typical monthly drip-feed approach, but PS1/2 had such massive catalogues that it's a shame to see them act like they're hand-cranking an old jalopy here.

I really hope they add some more display options for the PS1 games, like scan lines or the ability to stretch the aspect ratio to proper 4:3. It's annoying that PS1/2 games get horizonally squashed to something closer to 5:4 on modern TVs, and that's not to even mention the awful vertically squashed 50Hz PAL versions of games.

I hadn't realised that there were problem playing the PS2 Classics line on PS5. I have a bunch of them, so I'm glad I kept my PS4.

It's a pleasant surprise that they will be honouring PS1 purchases made on older hardware. It's just a shame that the selection of PS1 games is looking pretty anaemic at the launch of the new service. No doubt it will follow the typical monthly drip-feed approach, but PS1/2 had such massive catalogues that it's a shame to see them act like they're hand-cranking an old jalopy here.
Yeah this is the best part of the news for me, hope it means we can buy them individually without having to subscribe as well.

The Asian region have started to get the new service and we have new stuff!

I took some screenshots of the Singapore PSN line-up which features the following for PlayStation 1:

RQmP5hfh.jpg

XP0QL6Mh.jpg

SGD12.90 (~£7.50):
  • Ape Escape
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Kurushi (I.Q.)
  • Toy Story 2
  • Wild Arms
  • Worms Armageddon
SGD6.90 (~£4.50):
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Worms World Party
Bandai Namco titles Mr. Driller & Tekken 2 did not have any prices listed, which leaves me to suggest that these two will be exclusive to the streaming platform. However, both of these were downloadable on PlayStation 3 so I am curious to see if that will still work out if you had bought those games prior.

But the big news for me is that Disney Pixar's Toy Story 2 is coming to the PlayStation Classics line-up! This game was released on PlayStation 3 but because this is a third-party title & a licensed game I did not think it would make a return. In fact, not only will the game be part of the service but it will also be available to buy without the subscription (not to mention if you've bought the PS3 version, you should be able to download the PS4/PS5 version for free).

wrJwA7Vh.jpg
qkntggZh.jpg

tB07ZPVh.jpg

Also downloadable are the Sony first-party titles like Ape Escape, Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf in North America), Jumping Flash!, Kurushi (Intelligent Qube in North America) and Wild Arms.

nXSwGACh.jpg

pGCruzbh.jpg
QxxEi5Mh.jpg

w6ES7yIh.jpg
ksvwhb7h.jpg
aV2K7sYh.jpg
jkhYYKhh.jpg
BfIYav3h.jpg
35r6Tsdh.jpg
4zean93h.jpg

Interesting that both Worms games are available and with different prices between the two. I do own Worms World Party physically but I lost the disc for some reason so it's nice to be able to have access to it once again.

gVOWKYWh.jpg
lg6MSe7h.jpg
I2Gzy4Eh.jpg

S2Z7x4Eh.jpg

As mentioned both Mr. Driller and Tekken 2 don't have prices listed though I did grab a screenshot for each.

nltJjpZh.jpg
0t9lKNfh.jpg

Mystic (PlayStation YouTuber) has gone into detail on the PS1 games on PS5 here:

The Asian region have started to get the new service and we have new stuff!

I took some screenshots of the Singapore PSN line-up which features the following for PlayStation 1:

RQmP5hfh.jpg

XP0QL6Mh.jpg

SGD12.90 (~£7.50):
  • Ape Escape
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Kurushi (I.Q.)
  • Toy Story 2
  • Wild Arms
  • Worms Armageddon
SGD6.90 (~£4.50):
  • Worms World Party
Bandai Namco titles Mr. Driller & Tekken 2 did not have any prices listed, which leaves me to suggest that these two will be exclusive to the streaming platform. However, both of these were downloadable on PlayStation 3 so I am curious to see if that will still work out if you had bought those games prior.

But the big news for me is that Disney Pixar's Toy Story 2 is coming to the PlayStation Classics line-up! This game was released on PlayStation 3 but because this is a third-party title & a licensed game I did not think it would make a return. In fact, not only will the game be part of the service but it will also be available to buy without the subscription (not to mention if you've bought the PS3 version, you should be able to download the PS4/PS5 version for free).

wrJwA7Vh.jpg
qkntggZh.jpg

tB07ZPVh.jpg

Also downloadable are the Sony first-party titles like Ape Escape, Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf in North America), Jumping Flash!, Kurushi (Intelligent Qube in North America) and Wild Arms.

nXSwGACh.jpg

pGCruzbh.jpg
QxxEi5Mh.jpg

w6ES7yIh.jpg
ksvwhb7h.jpg
aV2K7sYh.jpg
jkhYYKhh.jpg
BfIYav3h.jpg
35r6Tsdh.jpg
4zean93h.jpg

Interesting that both Worms games are available and with different prices between the two. I do own Worms World Party physically but I lost the disc for some reason so it's nice to be able to have access to it once again.

gVOWKYWh.jpg
lg6MSe7h.jpg
I2Gzy4Eh.jpg

S2Z7x4Eh.jpg

As mentioned both Mr. Driller and Tekken 2 don't have prices listed though I did grab a screenshot for each.

nltJjpZh.jpg
0t9lKNfh.jpg

Mystic (PlayStation YouTuber) has gone into detail on the PS1 games on PS5 here:

Apparently and most shocking is some of the PS1 / PS2 games have trophy support?!

Even for a launch lineup it's a surprisingly tiny selection, but features-wise the emulator looks like a massive improvement over PS3. I thought my wishlist of proper 4:3 and a CRT filter was pie-in-the-sky, but here it is along with rewind, save states and trophies. Now the main question is how accurate and stable the emulation is.

Quick update on the regional versions used in Asia:

PAL (50hz):
  • Ape Escape
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Kurushi
  • Wild Arms
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Worms World Party
NTSC (60hz):
  • Disney Pixar's Toy Story 2
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 2

Quick update on the regional versions used in Asia:

PAL (50hz):
  • Ape Escape
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Kurushi
  • Wild Arms
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Worms World Party
NTSC (60hz):
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 2
Hmm, looks like a 50Hz-fest is inevitable when the service hits the UK then. Disappointing, but not surprising. The tech is anachronistic at this point, but I imagine it has more to do with the terms of 25-year-old contracts tying particular versions of games to regional branches of companies.

I've recently updated the first page to include a table for the PS4/PS5 PlayStation 1 line-up.

Syphon Filter was available on Asian stores but for some reason didn't get added to the category until later.

Also it seems Capcom's Dino Crisis has been spotted in the advertising for the PS Classics range in some regions. I think in terms of which version they'll use, chances are it'll be the NTSC 60Hz one because I think there's some licensing issues with the PAL version due to the publisher (which was Virgin Interactive) - plus Europe never got those games when 1 & 2 were released on PlayStation 3.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry give their verdict on the PS1 emulation on PS5. Brace yourselves; they're not impressed.

It appears to be a disaster for the PAL titles. On top of the inevitable 50Hz slowdown, I hadn't realised that the PS5 can't output at anything below 60Hz, so those games will have interpolation judder too, meaning inferior performance to the PS3 emulator in that regard.

On the plus side, games are rendering at a much higher resolution than on PS1 for anything polygonal.

Digital Foundry give their verdict on the PS1 emulation on PS5. Brace yourselves; they're not impressed.

It appears to be a disaster for the PAL titles. On top of the inevitable 50Hz slowdown, I hadn't realised that the PS5 can't output at anything below 60Hz, so those games will have interpolation judder too, meaning inferior performance to the PS3 emulator in that regard.

On the plus side, games are rendering at a much higher resolution than on PS1 for anything polygonal.
Yeah it was made even more awkward when Sony released a patch to select PAL games to make them run at 60Hz which caused ghosting and other issues.

The ideal solution is pretty obvious in this situation which is either of these two options:
  • Use NTSC versions, which should have been the case for games that are just in English already, and then patch them later down the line for those who want multi-language support.
  • Provide both PAL and NTSC versions to allow choice.
That said, it's the Japan line-up has me more curious since they could have more titles in their line-up.

Also I've updated the first few posts in case folks are interested. I plan to download some more PS1 games on the PS3 store for various reasons (potential cheaper prices, and in case the PS4/5 versions end up being PAL permanently).

Below is the current list that we know of for the PS Plus, which includes leaked unannounced titles. PS2 won't be included as those are technically branded as a PS4 Remaster atm.

PlayStation 1:Format:File Size:Trophies?Purchasable?Prev. released
on PS3:
Ape EscapePAL1.67 GB
Yes​
Yes​
JPN
Dino Crisis----
--​
Coming Soon
JPN & USA
Disney Pixar's Toy Story 2NTSC1.02 GB
No
Yes​
Yes​
Everybody's GolfPAL500 MB
Yes​
Yes​
No
Jumping FlashPAL667.4 MB
No
Yes​
Yes​
KurushiPAL758.7 MB
Yes​
Yes​
JPN & EU
Mr. DrillerNTSC492.7 MB
No
--​
JPN & USA
Oddworld: Abe's OddyseeNTSC1.18 GB
No
Yes​
Yes​
Syphon FilterNTSC975.4 MB
Yes​
Yes​
Yes​
Syphon Filter 2----
--​
Coming Soon
JPN & USA*
Tekken 2NTSC1.21 GB
No
--​
JPN & USA*
Wild ArmsPAL2.69 GB
Yes​
Yes​
Yes​
Worms ArmageddonPAL1.95 GB
No
Yes​
No
Worms World PartyPAL7.24 MB
No
Yes​
No

PlayStation Portable:File Size:Trophies?Purchasable?Prev. released
on PSN UK:
Echochrome--
No
Yes​
No*​
Resistance: Retribution--
--​
Coming Soon
Yes​
Ridge Racers 2--
--​
Coming Soon
No
Super Stardust Portable--
--​
Coming Soon
Yes​
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror--
--​
Coming Soon
Yes​
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow--
--​
Coming Soon
No

*Game was made available in Europe but has since been delisted.

Iirc japanese games back then were using NTSC-J standard. So it's curious why this has a mix of NTSC and Pal
Multiple languages and the PAL having a higher resolution is probably the reason why they used those versions, but I do expect the Japanese versions to use the original without issue otherwise their own audience wouldn't be able to play those games lol.

Some of those file sizes are strange. The likes of Ape Escape and Wild Arms were single disc games (650MB max), so I wonder what's making the files so large.

Some of those file sizes are strange. The likes of Ape Escape and Wild Arms were single disc games (650MB max), so I wonder what's making the files so large.
My guess is that since they have some enhancements like 1920 x 1440p resolution and add-on features like rewind/save state etc, the storage space is probably to make room for that.

Downloaded another batch of PlayStation games from the PlayStation 3 store. Since you can redownload them on PS4/PS5 if they do appear on PS Plus I figured there's no harm acquiring more via the older store (and its worth noting you can't do the reverse i.e buy on PS4/PS5 and redownload on PS3).

That said, even if some of these could end up having to be repurchased I will at least have access to the NTSC versions!

So I have chosen the following:
  • Alundra
  • Bloody Roar
  • Disney Pixar's Toy Story Racer
  • Jumping Flash! 2
  • Tekken 2
  • Tomba! 2
  • Wild Arms
  • Wild Arms 2
Most of these were on my list, but Alundra and Bloody Roar weren't so I decided to add them when I could! There's a couple of other ones I could also go for like Cool Boarders 3, Everybody's Golf 2, Twisted Metal to name a few but I'm in no rush. It's good that I'm getting a lot of these acquired sooner so if Sony does decide to turn off the PS3 store I've gotten most of the English/Localised titles I needed.

UK PSN (PAL):
  • Guilty Gear
  • Metal Gear Solid
USA PSN (NTSC):
  • Alundra
  • Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad II
  • Arc the Lad III
  • Bloody Roar
  • Breath of Fire IV
  • Dino Crisis
  • Dino Crisis 2
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Guilty Gear
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Jumping Flash! 2
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mega Man Legends 2
  • Metal Gear Solid (yep I have two versions of this, thanks to the MGS Legacy Collection)
  • Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
  • Misadventures of Tron Bonne
  • Parasite Eve
  • Parasite Eve 2
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  • R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Suikoden
  • Suikoden II
  • Tekken 2
  • The Legend of Dragoon
  • Tomba!
  • Tomba! 2
  • Um Jammer Lammy
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Xenogears
Japanese PSN (NTSC-J):
  • Bushido Blade
  • Dead or Alive
  • XI[sai] Demo

Downloaded another batch of PlayStation games from the PlayStation 3 store. Since you can redownload them on PS4/PS5 if they do appear on PS Plus I figured there's no harm acquiring more via the older store (and its worth noting you can't do the reverse i.e buy on PS4/PS5 and redownload on PS3).

That said, even if some of these could end up having to be repurchased I will at least have access to the NTSC versions!

So I have chosen the following:
  • Alundra
  • Bloody Roar
  • Jumping Flash! 2
  • Tekken 2
  • Tomba! 2
  • Wild Arms
  • Wild Arms 2
Most of these were on my list, but Alundra and Bloody Roar weren't so I decided to add them when I could! There's a couple of other ones I could also go for like Cool Boarders 3, Everybody's Golf 2, Twisted Metal to name a few but I'm in no rush. It's good that I'm getting a lot of these acquired sooner so if Sony does decide to turn off the PS3 store I've gotten most of the English/Localised titles I needed.

UK PSN (PAL):
  • Guilty Gear
  • Metal Gear Solid
USA PSN (NTSC):
  • Alundra
  • Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad II
  • Arc the Lad III
  • Bloody Roar
  • Breath of Fire IV
  • Dino Crisis
  • Dino Crisis 2
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Guilty Gear
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Jumping Flash! 2
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mega Man Legends 2
  • Metal Gear Solid (yep I have two versions of this, thanks to the MGS Legacy Collection)
  • Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
  • Misadventures of Tron Bonne
  • Parasite Eve
  • Parasite Eve 2
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  • R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Suikoden
  • Suikoden II
  • Tekken 2
  • The Legend of Dragoon
  • Tomba!
  • Tomba! 2
  • Um Jammer Lammy
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Xenogears
Japanese PSN (NTSC-J):
  • Bushido Blade
  • Dead or Alive
  • XI[sai] Demo
fyi i'm pretty sure Tomba 1/2 on the US store are for some reason the 50hz versions upconverted to 60hz, the versions on the EU store were the 60hz versions, iirc their reasoning for the US store getting the short stick was licensing issues which is why it took years for them to get it

fyi i'm pretty sure Tomba 1/2 on the US store are for some reason the 50hz versions upconverted to 60hz, the versions on the EU store were the 60hz versions, iirc their reasoning for the US store getting the short stick was licensing issues which is why it took years for them to get it
The UK store delisted them anyway so it wouldn't make a difference.

EDIT: I think these are the list of titles delisted:
Ex-0k1UXEAoLpS8

UPDATE 2: I checked Tomba 1 & 2 which I got from the US store - they are the US NTSC versions.

Last edited:
Back