PlayStation Retro Discussion (inc. PS3, digital PS1 & PS2 Classics & PS Plus Premium)

Ah. I just tried searching for P4G on the app and no results came up!

So I guess you have to create a foreign PSN account, buy a card for the region and then go to the store for that account?

I've got a US and Japanese account from the very beginning of the PS3 era when our store was rubbish, so I would grab demos from the foreign stores. Forgotten the passwords and even not sure about the email addresses I used now though.
Yeah you pretty much set up a US account, buy the points and go from there. + what Grav mentioned. It’s a shame Sony couldn’t just merge the stores and have all these titles playable on PS4/PS5.

Ah. I just tried searching for P4G on the app and no results came up!

So I guess you have to create a foreign PSN account, buy a card for the region and then go to the store for that account?

I've got a US and Japanese account from the very beginning of the PS3 era when our store was rubbish, so I would grab demos from the foreign stores. Forgotten the passwords and even not sure about the email addresses I used now though.
Basically the foreign PSN stores aren't compatible with your local payment setup which is why the digital pre-paid cards are how many folks like myself grab the imports.

A quick double-post update, I have updated the first post of the thread with a bit more context for those who need a bit of assistance.

Also, YouTuber Radical Reggie (who is part of the Metal Jesus Rocks crew for video game collecting etc) has posted a recommendations video on some PS3 and PS1 Classics for those interested:

I never even thought of looking for PSN cards on PlayAsia (I need some credit for my HK account), but they've got a load of different values there - thanks to everyone who mentioned it! :D
Ah yes, I forget that Hong Kong's PSN store does have English versions for some titles (more handy for the PS4/Vita side at least for games that are exclusive to that region like Super Robot Wars).

I notice that some PS1 games have already been delisted. Resident Evil 2 is gone altogether, but you can still get 1 and 3. The individual listing for Ridge Racer Type 4 is gone, but it can still be bought as part of the Namco Heritage Bundle, which includes Tekken (I think).

Anyone who is planning to get some credit for the US store should get that version of Silent Hill, since the UK release was censored.

I notice that some PS1 games have already been delisted. Resident Evil 2 is gone altogether, but you can still get 1 and 3. The individual listing for Ridge Racer Type 4 is gone, but it can still be bought as part of the Namco Heritage Bundle, which includes Tekken (I think).

Anyone who is planning to get some credit for the US store should get that version of Silent Hill, since the UK release was censored.
Ridge Racer is definitely available on the US PSN store at least as I took note of the file size and prices a few days ago.

There has been a bug going around where the 'purchase' button is hidden but still works (in other words it's like buying something without seeing the option for it, it sounds bizarre I know).

Well I watched those vids and now my list of potential buys is looking even bigger.
Indeed, the PS1 range is larger on my list than the PS2 selection in terms of the wishlist.

I have yet to update the second post with some PS1 English-localised/released suggestions which I'll do later but hopefully it won't take me 5+ hours like the Japanese one did.

Indeed, PS2-wise my list isn’t quite as big, likely due to me having already acquired various titles from that era through sales over the years. A good chunk of the list appears to be the SMT/Persona titles I don’t already own plus some other series’ like Fatal Frame and Parasite Eve.

Last edited:
As an FYI, PlayAsia appear to only be accepting either crypto currency or Western Union to checkout on their website. Not sure if this a regional thing but was hoping PayPal was still an option.

As an FYI, PlayAsia appear to only be accepting either crypto currency or Western Union to checkout on their website. Not sure if this a regional thing but was hoping PayPal was still an option.
That's interesting. Since I use Monzo for my online purchases hopefully it won't be an issue.

That's weird. It's been years since I last bought anything from there, but I could have sworn they used to accept regular credit card payments. I wonder what changed.

Such news should surely be worrisome for those who have recently purchased a PS5 digital edition version, because certainly that will eventually happen to the PS5 digital store.

That's weird. It's been years since I last bought anything from there, but I could have sworn they used to accept regular credit card payments. I wonder what changed.
Indeed I’m also curious as to why I can use say PayPal to order. They appear to be the most secure way of acquiring these vouchers currently unless I can find another reliable website.

@HWR Good news, I just acquired the $50 PSN through Play-Asia using PayPal. Basically like a couple other retailers out there, the PayPal option is separate from the usual checkout approach so when you look at your basket you'll see two options like this:

ZfVllmIl.png

Got the code after the payment was completed and just added it to my PSN account.

@NormanicGrav excellent news, couldn’t see that as an option at all on mobile so will go through via desktop instead. Curious to see what titles you end up acquiring!

Back