Pet Shop of Horrors

Miaka-chan

Stand User
After falling in love with Count D in the manga books, I decided to try out the anime OVA, which had a nice choice of tales from the wonderful manga series. It's worth watching just to see Count D come to life, but each of the four tales are told really well and for lovers of a nice bit of "Tales of the Unexpected" type horror stories should really enjoy this short, but sweet OVA series.

I was actually pretty impressed with the animation quality, it was nice and bright and everything was adapted very well from the original manga.
Count D looked fantastic, the only complaint I have is his costumes weren't as elaborate as I was expecting, but I guess they manga-ka had more time to take over his clothes than the anime company!
The creatures were done really well too and basically everything had been brought to life wonderfully.

There was no opening theme, which is quite common in short OVAs, but the closing theme was nice and the BGM was really eerie and fitted perfectly with the scenes (especially the ones in Count D's shop!).
The voice acting was pretty good too and I had actually dreaded hearing Count D, but he sounded perfect. Just a little bit effeminite but still very manly *lol*

OK, taken on it's own merit the anime didn't really do enough or explain anything about anyone and my recommendation is read the 10 volumes of the manga first and watch the anime after, purely to see Count D and the creatures come to life in wonderful colour ^_^

The first episode starts off with the end of a previous story about a tiger and goes straight into the very eerie tale of Alice the bunny rabbit girl. The second is the tale of the Mermaid, the third the tale of the Medusa and the fourth the tale of the legendary Kirin. Each of the stories bring across the gruesomeness of the tales and of course the moral behind each one. They were all very well adapted from the manga, but cut a little short in places.

The Count's true personality doesn't come across overly well in the anime and Leon seems like a loose cannon, but all of this is explained in depth in the manga - so go read it!
There is one part of the anime I was very disappointed with; none of the Count's pets were shown in his shop and that's one thing you love about the story in the first place - everyone just sees strange animals, but you can see the wonderful humanesque features they take on!
I definitely feel this should have been a TV series and the whole story of the Count and his family and Leon's quest, plus all the other weird and wonderful tales in the manga could have and should have been turned into an anime!

There isn't an awful lot of character profiling, but still the Count is just wonderul. He's mysterious and very cool and just loves his sweets and cups of tea. Some of his personality is brought across in the anime, but to get to see the true Count you need to read the manga.

In the anime Leon doesn't seem to fit very well into the story, but again everything falls into place in the manga, as he has a lot more depth than is shown.

The characters from the individual tales are portaryed very well, from the over-indulgent mother of Alice, to the sad and once loved movie actor and Medusa. I especially loved the way Medusa was brought to life!

It is worth watching even if you haven't read the manga, but it is a little too "bitty". So try out the manga first, then have the pleasure of seeing Count D in all his glory in the anime :wink:

Back