[Overseas] Legend of the Galactic Fail

qaiz

Pokémon Master
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Premium Box Set (1000 Copies)
H3L7tuI.jpg

Spec:
  • Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
  • Runtime: 4430 min
  • Release Date: July 24, 2018
  • Price: $ 799.98
Disc Contents:
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 110 Episodes
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden - 52 Episodes
  • Film 1 - "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars"
  • Film 2 - "Overture to a New War"
  • Film 3 - "Golden Wings
Link: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Premium Box Set | Sentai Filmworks

Plus Sentai store exclusive so no overseas buyers unless using proxy/forwarding service.

I’m fuming and apparently they’ll be no SE either.

No show is worth $800 I dont care what it is. I feel sorry for fans of the show who are effectively priced out of owning it.

Its worth that, but a one lump sum payment is what makes it unaffordable. I would rather see it released in 7 box sets at $100 each, 4 for LotGH, 2 for Gaiden and one for the movies.
I was hoping for that as well. What makes it more galling is that it’s sentai store website exclusive and they don’t ship overseas.

Seems I’ll just have to make do with the novels and the new one that’s going to start airing soon.

What annoys me about this the most is Sentai have know SINCE THEY LICENSED IT that they would effectively price thousands of fans out of ever owning this set. They knew this because this has to be a stipulation from the Japan side when they licensed it. The fact they kept this silent for so long is pretty disgraceful.

I like may others have waited 3 years for this, I was actually watching a crappy ustream of the panel live as they announced it and I was so incredibly happy that finally I and many others would get to own this show. The fact that isn't going to happen now is incredibly disappointing and my feelings as a Anime fan and collector have never been so low.

The Japan mindset really really annoys me. Like I understand that this is one of the crown jewel's of Anime history. Often touted as the best series ever made by many. But for god sake it isn't a literal Diamond Ring, it's still essentially an 80's cartoon. A very good one sure but that is all it is. I mean jesus it's not even in Native HD!! The Japan releases were upscales incase anybody didn't know! Further disgusting me considering the price.

Then we get to how Sentai are releasing what they have, which is also a total train wreck. The set itself looks fantastic. But they are charging $800 for it 4 months out from release and when you pre-order you have to pay up front there and then!?!? WTF! Hell they don't even have a payment plan to allow you to pay in chunks, you know like freaking High Quality Figures and Dolls at a third of the price do! or basically close to anything that costs more than the price of a months rent for the average person. At $200 a chunk this might have been doable.

Lastly it's stuff like this that pushes people to pirate Anime. No Anime is not a right or privilage but for goodness sake, no cartoon should cost more than someone makes in a month, no if's or buts.

Sentai should try to do a DVD release for a standard edition. I'd buy them because a) They would be affordable and b) At the proper resolution of the masters.

Damn what a complete and utter letdown. F***********K! :(

Wow. Way to go, Sentai. What a disaster. And this from a distributor who went on record as saying 'we know this is important and we don't want to mess up the release.'

Just a quick FYI, for the benefit of anybody who's ever argued with me on this forum over the points I've made regarding accessibility and affordability of anime: THIS, right here, is EXACTLY the kind of thing I could see coming from several miles out. If anyone pays this sum of money for it, they need brain surgery. It's an absolute disgrace.

Makes that still-too-expensive GITS: SAC blu ray set look like a bargain, in comparison.

Last edited:
Hey folks I figured I'll separate the discussion into its own thread since it is big news and has a lot to talk about.

Now as for the topic itself, oh boy. I was not expecting Sentai Filmworks to actually give this release the 'complete series' treatment considering the amount of content available. When I was predicting how they were going to release the series I was expecting this:
  • Collection 1: Episodes 1-26
  • Collection 2: Episodes 27-54 (28 episodes total)
  • Collection 3: Episodes 55-86 (32 episodes total)
  • Collection 4: Episodes 87-110 (24 episodes total)
  • Collection 5: Gaiden: A Hundred Billion Stars Episodes 1-24
  • Collection 6: Gaiden: Spiral Labyrinth Episodes 1-28
  • Collection 7: Movies 1-3
Like sure a complete series limited edition is fine by all means but not as a shop exclusive, considering the show is too niche for the rest of the world to be able to distribute (like as mentioned the BBFC utterly destroyed the UK's chances of owning it). The most frustrating part personally is the lack of plans to release the series in standard editions, like what kind of drug are you smoking?

What's interesting from the situation is that the chances of an English dub are zero due to the lack of masters that can make dubs happen (something about SFX/Music track being missing).

Sentai ruins all the best stuff. Whenever I see an anime has been picked up by them I try to avoid watching it no matter how good it is meant to be.

The worst part of this for me is that I'd been squirrelling money away here and there since it was announced Sentai had the license. Got it up to a whole £110! I was feeling good about that. And now... well, I guess I'll put that toward my tax bill instead.

I don't actually think the price is disproportionate to the content included, but it is hilarious/tragic that they're not splitting it up into more affordable pieces and apparently making it exclusive for an outrageous lump sum. Also, as Blaize said, this is an upscale. There hasn't been any time/money/effort put into re-scanning and restoring the original materials. They've got no need to recoup a large amount of money in a short space of time.

They could have done an AL. Release the first set with the case, then the other sets maybe every month and the artbook with the final set. Would make it more manageable.

Back