Over-rated / Under-rated shows

Lutga

Mad Scientist
OK, so I might be opening a can of worms here, but I thought this might be a good place for people to debate the pros and cons of certain shows - and hopefully it can be a good place for people to recommend shows they feel haven't received enough attention. I enjoy reading people's thoughts on this kind of thing anyway

To kick things off...

Over-rated - Cowboy Bebop

This is probably absolute blasphemy to many - but while I agree this is definitely one of the finest anime ever made, and deserves recognition as part of the medium's 'canon', I have to admit I don't think my level of enjoyment of the show ever managed to match up to the regard it's held in. Maybe I need to rewatch it in a more analytical state of mind - but if I'm honest with myself, I'd always take something like Evangelion over this any day of the week. But maybe that's just me. In a sense maybe - It's not so much that I think it's over-rated, just perhaps that if I had one chance to show someone an example of a fantastic anime, it wouldn't be Cowboy Bebop.

Under-rated - Noir

It always makes me sad that this isn't mentioned/discussed more these days. As far as I know it was one of the first TV anime that went out in widescreen - and visually I think it still looks fantastic even today, it's certainly stood the test of time a lot better than many other shows of its era. It's also one of the first major shows Yuki Kakijura did soundtrack duties for, and one of the earlier titles that ushered in a lot of the ADV English dub regulars like Monica Rial. The dynamic between the two main characters is fascinating too in my eyes (even if Kirika is a total Rei Ayanami clone).

Ooohh. A tough one for me to say the least.

For Over-rated, I will probably go with Attack on Titan (I know it's an easy one, let me off for once haha). My reason for this is the fact that the story just ends up like a typical monster of the week style adventure except span across Dragonball/One Piece styles episodes. And another thing, I already have an idea on what the titans are (despite only watching the first season and reading the first 6 manga volumes) because this plot point has been used in quite a couple recent animes, I won't name them for spoiler reasons but you'll probably get what I mean.

For Under-rated, I'm going with Shiki. This show needs more love and I am outraged that it ended up on the Super Amazing Value Edition because it deserved to be an Anime Classic in my personal opinion. The thing that got me into the show was how the story progressed as the episodes went along, and when the second half happens.. that's when things get interesting. The characters are all likeable and each of them have reasonable character development. The music especially the opening/closing songs are great to listen to, inside and outside the show. The show is based on a manga of the same name which is on-going I think and also made me realise the anime version actually changes a couple story events. Heck the S.A.V.E. set is only £10 and has UK Blu-ray compatibility it can't hurt your wallet (unless you hate the show).

Now this will be a fun thread!

Overrated - Ghost in the Shell (the 1995 movie)

Now, in no way do I dislike Mamoru Oshii's film. I admire the cyberpunk aesthetics, dig the mood and atmosphere and I really like the soundtrack. I also think it has some very interesting ideas. However, when I sit down and watch the film, it just doesn't engage me as much as I expect. It's been a while since my last watch so I can't quite put my finger on the problem. Maybe it's because I don't find the characters that interesting here, that was certainly not a problem in Stand Alone Complex (which I do like very much).

So yeah, there's a lot that I admire about Ghost in the Shell 1995, but I would never put it in my top tier of anime.

Underrated - Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars

There's so much I like about this universe. It has quite possibly one of the most fully realised and believable central relationships that I've encountered in anime. I could watch Jinto and Lafiel converse and interact all day long. They're the heart of Crest of the Stars and the subsequent Banner of the Stars.

Surrounding this relationship is a compelling space opera with a fascinating point of view; we follow it from the 'conqueror/invader' side. This makes for a compelling twist on the norm. While the emphasis is more on dialogue than on space action, it's never boring.

I've given up on seeing any more animation in this universe, but Banner of the Stars III is a decent ending. Would love for more people to get the chance to see the Crest/Banner series.

I know I'm going to regret this, but you need to elaborate on this AF14. Why do you think Code Geass is overrated and Monster is underrated? Is it simply a case of availability, or something else?

While we've already had a stellar choice for most overrated in Attack on Titan, alas, that fruit ain't hanging low enough.

Sword Art Online, I choose you!
For a series dealing with teens being held against their will in a virtual world, where running out of magika can lead not to a trip to the nearest respawn point, but instead the pearly gates, SAO is emotionally stunted. It isn't a show that has anything deep or meaningful to say, despite thematically being a story which deals with the loss of innocence. Indeed, the show does attempt to marry its shonen trappings with its deeper themes early on, the third episode in particular.

However, SAO doesn't care about what you think or feel, other than in the most superficial of ways. This is perhaps most apparent in the odious second arc of the series. With all the subtlety of the Enola Gay's raid on Hiroshima, the writers invoke the threat of rape as a motivation for the overpowered protagonist. Boy, that escalated quickly, indeed!

If this show was anymore a male power fantasy, it'd be a video game.

For most underrated, I'd have to go with Seitokai no Ichizon/Student Council's Discretion
This is a series I try to revisit at least once a year - sometimes twice! - as it's one that continues to never fail to make me smile. Is it heady or cerebral? No, but its a series that knows what it wants to be - a somewhat smutty, self-referential, harem comedy - and never strays from the straight and narrow. The fact the writers are able to make a series set predominantly in one room more entertaining than the vast majority of other similar shows is a testament to their abilities.

Overrated: Akira
Don't get me wrong, I liked the film but I don't really see why it's so loved and praised. The animation is great but I found the story a tad confusing to follow to be honest and a lot of the time I was kind of unsure as to what exactly was happening. The characters weren't exactly up to much either IMO. I dunno, maybe I just need to rewatch it to appreciate it more.

Underrated: Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
I really liked this show but I've seen people **** on it and while I kind of get why, after you adjust to what it is, it's a good show. Yes, I like many people went in expecting a more action orientated show but what we got was a really well animated and funny slice of life show with a bit of a twist. It's not perfect by any means, the one episode they tried to shoehorn in a story felt out of place and the show needed more time to develop said plot (Which is why I'm crossing my fingers for a S2 which probably won't happen) but overall I really enjoyed it.

NormanicGrav said:
Heck the S.A.V.E. set is only £10 and has UK Blu-ray compatibility it can't hurt your wallet (unless you hate the show).

Where can I buy it for this price?

I could go on for ages about how I think SAO gets a raw deal (I particularly think the second series - ie. SAO improves a great deal on the aspects that made the first season iffy at times) - but I can see why people dislike the franchise as a whole, and I think if I had been watching the first season as it aired, I'd probably not be as keen on it (I went through the Fairy Dance arc very quickly so it didn't feel like too much of a slog).

I agree though - the show does have a serious issue with the way it portrays rape, particularly as it uses it again in perhaps an even more distasteful way in the second season.

I like Akira and GITS too - but again, can see the arguments against, as I felt exactly the same watching them for the first time. I think part of the issue is they're held up as 'entry points' for anime, but aren't actually particularly accessible entry points imo. I definitely didn't really 'get' either of them until at least my second of third watch of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overrated - Martian Successor Nadesico

Although this show isn't talked about anywhere near as much as it used to be (which may or may not be indicative of its lasting appeal) I was really quite disappointed after the praise I'd heard heaped on it. Nadesico just strikes me first and foremost as a show that doesn't know what it wants to be - Is it a satire? Is it serious? It seems to want to be both, which is certainly possible to pull off but it jumps around between the two so clumsily that it ends up not being very good at either.

In my opinion Full Metal Panic and Gurren Lagann manage to do everything Nadesico tried to do and do it better.

Underrated - Kurau: Phantom Memory

Perhaps this show wouldn't be so overlooked if it wasn't one of those releases from the final days of ADV UK that got cut short, but that may just be wishful thinking. It's probably not a show for everyone, but it is one for for people who like and are still capable of feeling emotion. It's one of few anime out there to portray genuine, caring relationships (that aren't just about sex or idealised romanticism) and the joy and sadness of them - It's an incredibly human and humane story with likeable and realistic characters at its core and a short-haired tomboy protagonist.

I tried to find my thoughts on Kurau I'd written up at the time I watched it, which I failed to do (or I only ever wrote episode summaries and never actually got around to writing a final review) but I did however find this endorsement from Paul so I can pull the American political defence - Kurau: Phantom Memory was beloved of our founding fathers so if you don't like it, you're just un-AUKNian and probably a terrorist.

Lutga said:
Over-rated - Cowboy Bebop
Agree to an extent. While I think the animation and direction is top-notch and the character interactions and development are great, the plot isn't quite up to scratch for a top-tier show (it's really an episodic show with a plot added right at the end to provide a finale) and it should come with a caveat that "you're probably not going to enjoy this as much as people say you are if jazz music causes your eardrums to feel physical pain".

GolGotha said:
I know I'm going to regret this, but you need to elaborate on this AF14. Why do you think Code Geass is overrated and Monster is underrated? Is it simply a case of availability, or something else?

AF17 has a well documented dislike for LeLouch and his various choices which is why I suspect he finds it overrated.

--

This is tricky now all the big over rated targets have been hit, Akira and Gits I'd probably agree with, fantastic in the day but haven't held up as well as I'd like.

Nice to see Noir and Shiki being mentioned as under rated (Noir was my first DvD series so I'd best upgrade to BD now it's out)

I'm rather fond of El Cazador de la Bruja, Madlax didn't really work for me but the third entry into Beetrain's 'Girl's with Guns' had just the right mix of action and fun.

Rosencrantz said:
GolGotha said:

AF17 has a well documented dislike for LeLouch and his various choices which is why I suspect he finds it overrated.

I'm well aware, hence why I said I imagine I'll regret asking this, but I asked it as he didn't give a reason to why he feels the others are underrated, like everyone else has done in this post....

Over rated: Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

I've always thought the original movie was more enjoyable and still do. Bloodlust has a nice art style and animation, but aside from that it's pretty darn dull. There's not even enough action in it, or at least not enough particularly great action. Totally mediocre.

Under rated: Glasslip

Seriously, this is a near masterpiece. Don't let the quaint setting fool you, this is genuinely complex, and surprisingly believable anime (despite it's supernatural aspects). Things are never clear cut in this, much like things aren't in real life.

I'm going to go with a bit of an oddball one now,

Under-rated - Negima!? (the Shaft one)

I'll preface this by saying, as a show, I actually prefer the Xebec version - as I think it remains more true to the original premise and is just a fun, straight-up harem comedy for the most part. But in terms of just absolutely ripping up that original premise and just taking it on a wild ride through all kinds of absolute bonkers-ness, you certainly can't fault Shaft's version for ambition. I don't think I've really seen anything else like it outside of Excel Saga - it doesn't ever feel the need to explain itself, and some of the comedy it aims for is frankly bizarre.

I think visually, it suffers in the same way a lot of earlier Shaft shoes like Moon Phase did in that the lower budget seems to show - and a lot of visual quirks haven't been polished to the degree they were by the time Monogatari and Madoka went out. But as a springboard for a lot of Shaft's trademark stuff, it's a fascinating sandbox for experimentation and I think the way it manages to somehow give all of the 30+ girls distinct personalities is pretty impressive.

1272659.jpg

Ok il say why I think code geass is over rated.

The character Lelouch is like light yagami but worse.

His plans make no sense and he was wrong about alot of things.

Code geass tries to be death note but with eye's.

The series is rushed in season two.

Giant robo...underrated

Despite it's silliness at times it has a really good story to it...I would say it's a diamond in the rough

Monster....underrated

It's the only anime with no Moe, school setting, no random fan service and has a great story and pasing

IncendiaryLemon said:
NormanicGrav said:
Heck the S.A.V.E. set is only £10 and has UK Blu-ray compatibility it can't hurt your wallet (unless you hate the show).

United Publications USA, actually the price is £16 (got the pricing confused with the likes of Cat Planet Cuties, OniAi & Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei (another under-rated show by the way, also Region B compatible) ~ all of them were around the £10 mark) but it's still a relevantly reasonable price for a 2-cour show. Michiko & Hatchin (also another under-rated show, and also Region B compatible) is nearly the same price as well.

NormanicGrav said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
NormanicGrav said:

United Publications USA, actually the price is £16 (got the pricing confused with the likes of Cat Planet Cuties, OniAi & Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei (another under-rated show by the way, also Region B compatible) ~ all of them were around the £10 mark) but it's still a relevantly reasonable price for a 2-cour show. Michiko & Hatchin (also another under-rated show, and also Region B compatible) is nearly the same price as well.

Ah right, thanks. These SAVE blu rays seem really good value, might have to start looking into what else is in that line if they're all Region B compatible.

Overrated - Love Hina
This is a comedy anime so enjoyment is always going to be subject to personal tastes, but I have a complete sense of humour failure with this for two main reasons.
Firstly, the male lead is a complete imbecile. A prime example - he moves into a building full of girls, sees a hole in his ceiling and decides it's a good idea to poke his head through and is surprised to find a half-naked girl? Seriously? How dumb is he? I know doing stupid things is common (even necessary) in comedies but this is just pushing my ability to suspend disbelief too far.
Secondly is the violence used as a punchline for every joke. I know I'm taking this far too seriously, and if I wasn't so bothered by the first point then I might be able to overlook this, but as it is I just cannot see such regular use of casual violence in a comedic light.
Like I said, my points are based more on my personal tastes than any kind of objective analysis so I won't be offended if no-one agrees with me.

I always viewed the violence in Love Hina as something akin to Tom and Jerry/Wil-E-Coyote and Roadrunner type violence. It's just so over the top it's ridiculous.

Back