Original Hellsing Ultimate DVD release cancelled

kurosaki86

Kiznaiver
Has anyone else had their pre-order for hellsing ultimate cancelled?

I preordered from play and yesterday I recieved this e-mail:

Dear *****************

We regret to inform you that one or more titles you have ordered from us has been withdrawn from general release. Your order has been cancelled and you may rest assured that you will not be charged.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you. Titles affecting you personally are listed below:

5508919 Hellsing Ultimate: Volumes 1 & 2 (2 Discs)

Kind regards

Play.com

Checked on the play site and amazon and the title no longer appears when searched for.

Can anyone offer an explanation?

It was/is due out on the 11th or 13th of next month. Every other retailer besides Amazon and Play have yet to remove it.

Both Amazon and Play have also removed the Vol. 3-4 set.

Received this press release earlier today:

Please note that there has been a change with the DVD release of Hellsing Ultimate. The release will now be as follows:

HELLSING ULTIMATE VOLUME 1 – out to buy 13th October 2008

HELLSING ULTIMATE VOLUME 2 - out to buy 29th December 2008

Both releases will now be a single disc retailing at £14.99. Manga Entertainment would like to apologise for any disappointment this may cause fans. Unfortunately Manga do not have consent to release both volumes together.

Will be posting news on it later this evening.

Sounds reasonable enough to me. Good job on the quick contact though Manga. Shows they're not just leaving all info in the dark.

Still looks good. Top hole Manga Ent. Top hole.

The main selling point of Manga Ent. is that they sell 2-3 volumes together for the price of one. Although their quality has improved of late with their Bleach and Death Note releases, they've made up for low quality releases by selling them for cheap in the past.

A price of £14.99 (RRP) for DVDs with 2 episodes on, distributed by a company knowing for serious subtitle issues, is a bit much. It isn't anything too shocking since MVM released FLCL in the same way, but the MVM name gives more confidence than a distributor who have only just got their act together after years of poor releases.

...oh well, I probably would've waited for the Vol. 1-4 box set in any event.

So I'm guessing this means one OVA per release then? Nice work there Mangle :roll:

Still I can't complain too much, it was single releases in the US too. So long as it isn't cancelled entirely I can keep my cool - I'm just going to be slightly poorer.

Aion said:
A price of £14.99 (RRP) for DVDs with 2 episodes on, distributed by a company knowing for serious subtitle issues, is a bit much. It isn't anything too shocking since MVM released FLCL in the same way, but the MVM name gives more confidence than a distributor who have only just got their act together after years of poor releases.

...oh well, I probably would've waited for the Vol. 1-4 box set in any event.

It would have been better value than FLCL since the episodes are longer (about 40 minutes each I think) - though the way it sounds it could be just one episode a disc. Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

Ah, I assumed that since there are 4 DVDs/volumes there would be 8 episodes. It doesn't change much, though - 4 x 40 instead of 8 x 20.

Manga Ent. have obviously not done their homework and found themselves in a situation where they now have to release each DVD individually for the same price they were planning on selling 2 together for since they've already paid for the license to release it on our shores.

I do have a question: Since they aren't allowed (for whatever reason) to release 2 volumes together, does that mean they won't be able to release all 4 volumes together?

Yeah I'm assuming this is the Japanese putting there foot down to stop any reverse importation; though I have no idea why they are worried because the title has already been out in japan for an age anyway, so whoever would've wanted it by now would surely have bought it.

kurosaki86 said:
Yeah I'm assuming this is the Japanese putting there foot down to stop any reverse importation; though I have no idea why they are worried because the title has already been out in japan for an age anyway, so whoever would've wanted it by now would surely have bought it.
I still haven't worked out why the Japanese don't buy all their anime from Hong Kong for about 1/10th of the price. :?

Well, Manga have lost a customer here. I had it pre-ordered for £11.99. I'm not now going to pay £30 for the same thing.

ayase said:
Well, Manga have lost a customer here. I had it pre-ordered for £11.99. I'm not now going to pay £30 for the same thing.
Same, even though the nazi arc is pretty dull these OAV's are well animated and paced for mindless action. £12 I would have picked up the first 2 disks but I'd never consider buying them seperate for the same price.

I hope they're still going to go with the 2 disk Death Note releases though otherwise I might just drop that too.

Its a pity for manga, but i guess whoever they got the license off had a spefifc selling model in mind. I don't think this will affect their other releases mind otherwise Viz would of been up in arms already :p since they sell the vols of Naruto, Bleach, Death Note individually in the states

Well, if I wasn't willing to fork out for the FLCL pisstake, I'm certainly not going to buy Hellsing if it's released like this.

Think i'll wait untill it ends up in the £3.99 sale bin on Play.

Christ, it's starting to look like the 80s again - Anyone else remember when Animeigo charged £25 for a VHS tape with a single 20 min episode on it?

Some stats...

Volume 1

Episode 53 minutes (51 without the translated English credit scroll at the end)

32 minute interview

feature length commentary

16 minutes of promo videos for the series.

Assorted knick knacks including TV trailers and slideshow art galleries.

I've paid more for less in the past.

The RRP is £14.99, which means preorder prices will probably be as low as £9.99 is some retailers.

In realistic terms, you're being asked to fork out maybe £2.50 to £3.00 more. Maybe not buy a packet of fags that day?

S'not the end of the world.

EDIT: Hellsing is Geneon via FUNimation, while Death Note is via Viz. I don't think there is any danger of this policy applying across the board. Although it may be of interest to see if xxxHolic's half season set stays on schedule.

Back