Optimum drop Spirited Away Special Edition

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to Otaku News, Optimum UK have dropped their plans to release a Spirited Away Special Edition DVD; revealing that they have been encountering problems acquiring new extras for a third DVD disc.

Can't say I'm all that disappointed; I have their "normal" DVD release of it, and it's already got more than enough features.

It's a bit of a shame though, judging by the Otaku News article, it would have been something unique for the UK. I wonder if it was a case of lack of extras or just unavailability of the ones I assume are currently exclusive to Japan.

Could never really justify buying this for the extras myself. Have the 2 disc R1 edition , so cant say im that dissapointed about being dropped , theres a fair bit in the way of extras on the Uk release as it is.

Yes, it was going to be a unique DVD for the UK.
From what they told me it sounded really good too. It's a shame, but things like this happen quite a bit with anime DVDs. Often it's because rights are held by a different company than the main feature (eg TV documentaries or interviews), or they want a lot of money for the rights or perhaps are unwilling to sell only to one region.

That the thing about Otaku News, the stories I can't publish are actually a lot more interesting than ones I can publish for lots reasons. But that's probably the same with many anime sites.

that is a shame. i had no intention of buying it personally, but was interested in what they could possibly add to top the 2 disc version's extras! it would have been a rare chance for UK fans to get a better deal than those stateside as well...

Although the idea of UK exclusive was appealing, I didn't really have any intention of getting this. I'd rather see re-releases of old titles that were originally released on VHS only.

Richy said:
Can't say I'm all that disappointed; I have their "normal" DVD release of it, and it's already got more than enough features.

Sam here, so its no worry to me at all. But its still sad for the people who have been waiting to get it.

Oh well, least this way they can concentrate on putting out other Ghibli titles...

exactly. Nausicaa and Porco Rosso are already out in region 1, so here's hoping a region 2 release is in the pipeline. it would be nice to see My Neighbour Totoro as well.

On the subject of Miyazaki, has anyone seen the short film On Your Mark which was done (i think) for a music video? its only a few minutes long and would make a great bonus feature for one of the other DVD releases.

Back