One Piece questions

Was too worried about catching spoilers by accident online to look these up so I thought I would ask these here.

I know there is a jump in the storyline of two years where the characters get new looks afterwards but which episode number does this occur at?

How many episodes of One Piece on average get shown in Japan per year just that I was coming up on episode 100 & was shocked to see the copyright was 1999?

Finally this isn't the final Straw Hats Pirates crew is it, there are still more characters to be added?

Thanks.

Episode 517 (Volume 61 of manga) is where the jump occurs.

In Japan, One Piece has an episode once a week. They add filler arcs to keep the series moving then going back to the manga roots when there's enough to cover.

As for the crew I'm not too sure.

At least 52 a year on average with at least one film or a couple of specials to spice things up. I'd love to get back into it since its the only modern WSJ title that interests me, but I hope it finishes one day, and that Oda doesn't die because of it.

NormanicGrav said:
Episode 517 (Volume 61 of manga) is where the jump occurs.

In Japan, One Piece has an episode once a week. They add filler arcs to keep the series moving then going back to the manga roots when there's enough to cover.

As for the crew I'm not too sure.

So the jump is a long, long way off then. Do they use multiple animation studios to produce a new episode every week?

Am I right in thinking the show has only been dubbed up to somewhere in the 300s?

Not really... they're going to dub it all as long as it keeps selling. They can't simultaneously dub hundreds of episodes; it takes longer to negotiate and record episodes than it does for people to watch them.

R

Rui said:
Not really... they're going to dub it all as long as it keeps selling. They can't simultaneously dub hundreds of episodes; it takes longer to negotiate and record episodes than it does for people to watch them.

R

Is it correct the show has been re-dubbed on the earlier episodes, not sure how many episodes this applies to, but there was an original dub on these ones that has subsequently been replaced? If this is correct why go to the expense of re-dubbing?

robot monkey said:
Rui said:

R

Is it correct the show has been re-dubbed on the earlier episodes, not sure how many episodes this applies to, but there was an original dub on these ones that has subsequently been replaced? If this is correct why go to the expense of re-dubbing?

Correct, the episodes that had the original dub were re-dubbed because the version was edited and censored not to mention it had altered dialogue to make it kid friendly (they were basically aiming for a PG audience rather than the 12-15). The Funimation release restored the original cuts which is why it's known as Uncut when you look up the releases in the UK and Australia etc.

NormanicGrav said:
robot monkey said:
Rui said:

R

Correct, the episodes that had the original dub were re-dubbed because the version was edited and censored not to mention it had altered dialogue to make it kid friendly (they were basically aiming for a PG audience rather than the 12-15). The Funimation release restored the original cuts which is why it's known as Uncut when you look up the releases in the UK and Australia etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. That uncut issue does it also apply to the pictures as far being edited previously like the audio for a PG audience?

By the way as a general comment I had previously stated on another forum I thought Naruto was better than One Piece, well I retract that view now. There is just something more likeable about One Piece & though they are both twits Luffy is actually a more agreeable character than Naruto is.

NormanicGrav said:
I'm sure by the time Manga releases Collection 8, Funimation will make Collections 9-12.

Manga are releasing the four disc sets as that's where Funimation are with them, and it saves time and shelf space and is reasonably priced to stop imports rather than go the two disc set and then collection route that they normally do. By the time Manga get the next four collections out, maybe Funimation will have more collections for them to clone, but I think the closer they get to Funimation then the more likely it is that they'll switch to two disc sets like Naruto and Fairy Tail, and then issue collections further down the line to stay in touch with Funi.

Ath said:
...because the first dub was a 4Kids special job, complete with extensive bowdlerisation.

DON'T GIVE IT UP LUFFY

Needless to say it didn't become the next Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh and 4Kids lost the licence. Toei are just as responsible for signing off on everything 4Kids did though.

Wow, they got further than I thought butchering it, the UK satellite channels did seem to lose interest after a bit so I guess some of those were only shown in the US.

I for one am rather fond of that rap :)

Ath said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

WHY DID YOU POST THAT.
WHY HAVE I HAD IT ON REPEAT SINCE YESTERDAY.
I DON'T EVEN WATCH ONE PIECE.
ATH PLS. I CAN NEVER UNHEAR THAT SONG THANKS TO YOU, EVEN NOW.

On a more serious note is this series even worth bothering with? It seems to be the least bad of the big three, but 600 odd episodes is a bit daunting to say the least.

Mangaranga said:
Ath said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

WHY DID YOU POST THAT.
WHY HAVE I HAD IT ON REPEAT SINCE YESTERDAY.
I DON'T EVEN WATCH ONE PIECE.
ATH PLS. I CAN NEVER UNHEAR THAT SONG THANKS TO YOU, EVEN NOW.

On a more serious note is this series even worth bothering with? It seems to be the least bad of the big three, but 600 odd episodes is a bit daunting to say the least.
Here this should help.

I do hear that One Piece is the best of the big three too, but the size has always put me off and I've never started it. I don't think I have it in me to commit to a long Shonen Jump series anymore, though that might just be fatigue from the last 5 years or so of Bleach. :x

Back