One Piece as it was intended

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Australia’s premier anime distributor Madman Ent. have come to the rescue of the hordes of disgruntled One Piece fans by announcing their plans to release Region 4 DVDs of the popular pirate anime uncut and bilingual (original Japanese language with subs as well as an uncut English dub).

One Piece is one of the most popular anime series showing on Japanese TV right now, however, since 4Kids licensed the show and premiered it on US TV, fans have complained that it has been severely edited to the point where whole episodes are being merged together and storylines changed. The 4Kids version of One Piece is coming to UK TV (Toonami) in April.
<span class=menu>Source: <a href="http://www.anime-ni.co.uk/">aNIme</a></span>

I find it really hard to stay subjective when a 4Kids issue arises, almost everything they do seems just plain wrong. Thank god companies like Madman exist.

However, the fact an 'uncut' English dub has been produced hints that FUNimation are no doubt planning something similiar. And if this is the case, perhaps a UK release by MVM is likely?

The uncut dub will probably have a dubbed OP/ED theme, i remember that 4kids did a dubbed version of the orginal OP, before they decided to switch to the crappy RAP

I think i'll give the april showing a miss and wait for it to come out on DVD. i can't really be bothered to buy an import copy and sort out a multiregion player. it sounds like it's worth the wait.

Really like Madman (one of the Ozzie anime companies) as the do have a habit of not directly copying form the States. They did a similar thing to this with the Macross saga. They don't edit as harshly, but give higher age ratings, eg no badly painted on bikini's for the steam baths in Tenchi.
Fortunately for me got relatives who l can get stuff from the madman website to them and they bring it over to me.

Madman's web store ships to the UK anyway - their shipping rates are pretty decent, and I don't ever remember getting stung by Customs on them either. I can't remember how much shipping is off-hand, but it's more than worth it when you can get the 10-disc Gundam Wing boxset for around £50.

yeah, all of FLCL for cheaper than the US price, i was impressed :D

I wont get GW from them though, since i have too much of it from Beez already.
Then again....

Back