Official: Denno Coil - best anime this year!

Ramadahl

Hunter
Note - not really official :p .

I'd kinda been feeling that the majority of anime released recently was lacking in some respect - not necessarily bad as such, just not being able to distinguish themselves from the mass of other anime out there. While series like Lovely Complex and Darker than Black are entertaining, they still remain "safe", standard fare.

I noticed the name "Denno Coil" while browsing some blogs, and, while I recognized the name, I hadn't heard anyone talking about it so it'd passed me by. When I read a bit further though, it didn't seem as if anyone had anything bad to say about it. So, I went and got the first 5 episodes and watched them.

And it was awesome.

It's been quite a while since I last saw a show that had such a character to it - a show that, rather than being another iteration, really shone through as uniquely itself. It was a breath of fresh air.

In Denno Coil, technology has progressed to the extent that a virtual world overlays the real world, and is visible to anyone who buys a pair of special glasses. Especially popular amongst children, these allow both play in the virtual world, and access to all sorts of useful programs. Thus technology-wise, Denno Coil bears a certain resemblance to Lain, although the resemblance stops there.

The story follows Yuko, a girl who's just moved with her family to one of the most technologically advanced cities. The story itself has an interesting slice-of-life flavour to it - at the same time developing Yuko and the world around her, and hinting towards a larger picture.

The quality of Denno Coil is striking. Not the just production values (which are top-notch), but the quality of thought that has gone into both the characters and the world they live in. This shows itself more in the smaller things in the story - but it's these smaller details that really give it flavour.

So... please excuse my ranting ^^;
Anyone else seen this?

Denno Coil has been in development for nearly ten years and is the brain child of Mitsuo Iso (he animated Asuka's "last stand" in End of Evangelion), this is his debut. It's pretty damn awesome, and feels so assured compared with other anime. The animation is fantastic. So in short, I totally agree :)

Watching this anime in 1280x720 H264 on a hdtv is ridiculously awesome, I don't understand anything thats going on but still, its pretty damn good.

Ramen89 said:
Watching this anime in 1280x720 H264 on a hdtv is ridiculously awesome, I don't understand anything thats going on but still, its pretty damn good.

I would do that if my comp was better, I have to stick to the lower res releases most of the time.
The latest ep was great since it introduced Romi Paku's character Haraken (he's a shy guy so she doesn't get many lines so far :().
I love everything about Dennou Coil, another of those animes I hear nothing about then becomes my #1 :lol:

I agree the series has been fantastic so far. I loved the scene with Yuko’s dog Densuke being chased, the expression when he cried in the bin was priceless!
Regarding another forum topic 'Things you've seen in anime that you wish were real...' Well, i want their glasses!

Last edited by a moderator:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
I'll have to check this out. The style is great, really stands out.

Ditto regarding the interesting style.

Anyone else picture a trio of John Lennon's whilst staring at that screenshot?

Just me? - K, never mind. :lol:

Hyaku said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
I'll have to check this out. The style is great, really stands out.

Ditto regarding the interesting style.

Anyone else picture a trio of John Lennon's whilst staring at that screenshot?

Just me? - K, never mind. :lol:
I didn’t but I can see where you’re coming from.

I’d never even heard of it but looking at that screen shot I’ve got to say that if it’s animated even half as well as it’s drawn there is no doubt it must be one of the most stunning anime ever. I think it’s beautiful and oddly soothing to look at.

I've heard this compared with not only Lain (which still rules after a decade!) but Miyazaki of all people! The general impression I'm getting from the blogsphere is that it's been a hidden gem of sorts this season so I'll look into it as soon as my laptop's back in the land of the living.

Seeing sci-fi that's refreshingly different is rare and an opportunity not to be passed up, after all!

I am absolutely adoring this show.

Loving almost everything about it. xD.

The animation is absolutely spectacular in like every way; i wasn't too fond of the style at first, but you get to grips with it and find it extraordinary. xD.

Takes some time to get the understanding and storyline of what is happening; still not totally sure, but they're definitely is one.

Caught the 1st 5 episodes and it has me intrigued. Intresting character design, nice premise, room for expansion, only fear is it may stray into the overly spiritual (Eva style)

hopeful_monster said:
Caught the 1st 5 episodes and it has me intrigued. Intresting character design, nice premise, room for expansion, only fear is it may stray into the overly spiritual (Eva style)

Yeah i got that frame of mind from it; Just people seeing too far into what it is.

since its been in planning for like a decade, it most likely will. xD. still that'll won't get rid of the enjoyment, i extremely enjoyed NGE for what it was.

I’ve watched the first 3rd of the 1st episode of this today and it really does look awesome. I’d even say that it looks as good as a Ghibli film. This is the first anime that has made me want to download fan subs as I just can’t bear the wait of at least two years before they even start to release it in the US, never mind the UK.

The timing is pretty good too. Just as I was really struggling to find something good to watch, this comes along. Having said that, I’ve just started watching Kurau: Phantom Memory and that is a way above average anime too.

Well, I've seen the first two eps and it's...bloody weird. I mean this in a good way - I can see where the Lain comparisons come from, what with the internet and reality blurring, but there's a great assortment of Ghibli-esque critters.

It's quite kid-friendly in that it can appeal to all ages, although I'm still getting used to the inventive use of techno-speak and so on. Visually it's stunning - a little washed-out but distinctive and hugely imaginative. Once again Madhouse fail to disappoint.

I think it really could be the best of the season.

I watched up to episode five it seems to be going somewhere, but nothing really fresh, just the goonies or the little rascals in a futuristic setting. >_>

Back