Odd-Pointless-Database-Project-Thing

arthur_webb

Adventurer
Recently, I've just been teaching myself PHP and MySQL code for use with website design.

As a little project to help with my learning - I made a little Anime DVD Collection Database with a web-based front-end. I'm pretty pleased with it, as I've been working on it for a week now, and it's finally finished.

http://adacub.100webspace.net/animedatabase/

It's only temporarily hosted at a free domain for now.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of it? Anything I should add/change? And, if you'd like, anyone willing to make a contribution or correct a mistake (the edit password is "shinku") would be appreciated.

Thanks. ^^

Looks pretty good.

It could do with a bit of colour maybe a banner since it's only a free web hosting no need to really go in to detail unless this is going to turn into a bigger project at a later date?

Not bad keep it up 8)

I think it is an excellent tool to build upon. The basic sql and php seems to function how you intended it, so perhaps the next step would be to work on the frontend to improve functionality e.g. make column titles (name, genre etc.) clickable so that you can order titles by genre and perhaps build in more functionality to the search tool.

Thanks for the input guys.

I may decide to make it into a bigger project at a later date, or perhaps combine the entire site into two PHP files which could be made available for others to download and use.

As for the clickable column names - that'd be great to do, but it's be difficult to implement. I could very simply have it re-order the database, but the question would be how to re-order in the current view. For example, one searches for ER, and gets all the titles that are series, then decides to order by Year. It would be difficult to keep the search term when re-ordered.

Again guys, thanks for your input. And, as always, it's work in progress, so anything anyone can add to the database will give me more to work with ^^.

Well done - the first hurdle is by far and away the hardest; basically just producing a site connecting to and manipulating a database. I've had a look and it looks like a solid job :) Perhaps some kind of rating feature would be useful to track your favourites from the database?

Paul, thank you very much for your kind words! ^^

Indeed a favourites tracked would be a nice addition, I'll have a look at implementing one in the next few days.

I wonder, is this forum backed by MySQL? If you can code, then I think I'd like to ask a few questions of you.

adamcube said:
As for the clickable column names - that'd be great to do, but it's be difficult to implement. I could very simply have it re-order the database, but the question would be how to re-order in the current view. For example, one searches for ER, and gets all the titles that are series, then decides to order by Year. It would be difficult to keep the search term when re-ordered.

It is a very basic way of doing it, but you probably need only use html/php to order the categories in a variety of ways.

Back