[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

IZIqrGa.gif

Updated version of Funimation's May 2017 line-up is up on my blog.

Basically there's some slight changes to the list I previously posted. Haruchika and Momotaro are confirmed to be subtitled only, while Gosick and The Seven Deadly Sins are a two-part combo pack release (TSDS also gets a DVD-only release). The sets that are UK Blu-ray compatible are Divine Gate and Free! Iwatobi Swim Club. Gosick does note B on the cover art but it's not final and is subject to change (plus the specs state A|1 only). Speed Racer is English only.

If we don't get the information soon (with equivalent levels of detail) I'll be preordering some of those US editions, which would be a shame as I like Funimation UK releases. It's disappointing so many are region locked as it means the UK versions will be too; it would be so much better for customers to use the same discs if they're in the Funimation stable anyway.

R

If we don't get the information soon (with equivalent levels of detail) I'll be preordering some of those US editions, which would be a shame as I like Funimation UK releases. It's disappointing so many are region locked as it means the UK versions will be too; it would be so much better for customers to use the same discs if they're in the Funimation stable anyway.

R
It will effectively be the same discs though, to be fair. By "customers" you just mean impatient people that want to import.

It will effectively be the same discs though, to be fair. By "customers" you just mean impatient people that want to import.

Yes, and we are not customers because...?

Since you already believe that you know everything about everyone I will explain more. Most of my equipment is locked to region A. I don't own any region free players. The US release is objectively better for me when they do it like this and we get titles I have to import anyway in the mix (One Piece), so I was providing my opinion. As a customer. The speed of release doesn't matter to me so much as the speed of announcement as that's when I make my decisions.

R

I'm not sure it qualifies as impatient when it's the same release for a similar price. Assuming they're all being given standard editions only, there's no good reason for them to a) Not tell us as soon as possible, and b) Not release them within the same month as the US.

And before you start, I say the same for any UK distributor.

I'd only import if a particular title was not being released over here. For the majority of titles I would wait for a UK release if i knew one was comming. That's why I think they need to at least tell us what they plan on bringing to the UK even if there is no firm release date.

Last edited:
I know that I'd be importing everything I wanted if not for the horrifying exchange rate.
At this point, I'd be interesting in doing the same for Funi UK titles as they've been handled appallingly, but with shipping and tax upping the cost, I see no reason to import titles that we will be getting at some point.

I'd only import if a particular title was not being released over here. For the majority of titles I would wait for a UK release of a knew one was comming. That's why I think they need to at least tell us what they plan on bringing to the UK events if there is no firm release date.

Yes, this! I don't tend to cancel preorders unless the alternative deal is unmissable but I don't mind holding off a little while to find out what we get. Waiting for months for crumbs of news doesn't do it for me. For shows like Grimgar I might splurge for the LE so knowing what the UK is getting is an important consideration. I'm not willing to miss out on a box just to show misplaced loyalty. Supporting UK Gosick is largely irrelevant to future rescue deals if it was rescued primarily for the US market anyway, and region A (or mixed region) discs are more useful than B for practical reasons. Information is critical.

R

With Free being a/b yes I am importing, Gosick I will try first and also disapperance of Haruhi is still locked with manga so that's an import too
I'm going to wait to see if Madman do anything with Free! Funimation's is B so Madman can just use their discs and it'll be dirt cheap on sale long before AL get a standard edition out, and the exchange rate is more friendly there.

Haruhi is one I may be tempted by; DVD for a 3 hour movie was a straight-up "no" from me so I still need to buy Disappearance.

Yes, this! I don't tend to cancel preorders unless the alternative deal is unmissable but I don't mind holding off a little while to find out what we get. Waiting for months for crumbs of news doesn't do it for me. For shows like Grimgar I might splurge for the LE so knowing what the UK is getting is an important consideration. I'm not willing to miss out on a box just to show misplaced loyalty. Supporting UK Gosick is largely irrelevant to future rescue deals if it was rescued primarily for the US market anyway, and region A (or mixed region) discs are more useful than B for practical reasons. Information is critical.

R

I may import Gosick it its confirmed to be a/b as it states on the box. Again though if say anime limited came out and said they were picking g it up I would wait. They risk loosing sales due to lack of information. Not all these titles will make it to the UK though Grimigar probably will in some form.

I may import Gosick it its confirmed to be a/b as it states on the box. Again though if say anime limited came out and said they were picking g it up I would wait. They risk loosing sales due to lack of information.

Very much this. Right now, I'm waiting on confirmation for Region B accessibility before I hit the import button on Nichijou and Gosick. Failing that, I'll wait for an Australian release. No information about potential UK releases will lose a UK distro a sale. It isn't the first time I've imported only for there to be a subsequent UK release. It's not so much of a deal when it was years between releases as it was for Blu-ray Baccano and Wings of Honneamise, but sometimes the delay has been just months, and that's the fault of the UK distros.

Back