No Valkyria Chronicles 3 for you.

Demon's Souls was published by Sony (who also helped finance it) in Japan.

Sega's Sakura Wars: So Long My Love was published in the US and Europe by NISA, so there is a precedent.

Sega will not be releasing Valkyria Chronicles 3 because the second game did not sell as much as they would like...
No ****. It was a turn-based strategy game for a handheld. You might have sold more copies, Sega, if you had given it a proper budget and development time-scale and released it on PS3 instead of saying "Wow, that was unexpectedly popular. Quick, churn out a sequel on a platform that's cheaper to develop for!"

F*ckin' handhelds.

Not terrifically surprising; how the PSP has such poor support over here is a mystery to me when it does so well in Japan.

I was shocked when I went to HMV a month or so ago and realised they no longer sell any PSP things. At least, the two stores near me don't. One of them closed down a week later; perhaps my one PSP game purchase that day might have saved them!

So I have no moral problems with just importing 100% of my PSP things now ^^;

R

How anyone can game on anything smaller than a 17" screen is beyond me. Honestly, sometimes I think certain people view gaming as a simple pastime rather than a serious commitment...

ayase said:
Sega will not be releasing Valkyria Chronicles 3 because the second game did not sell as much as they would like...
No ****. It was a turn-based strategy game for a handheld. You might have sold more copies, Sega, if you had given it a proper budget and development time-scale and released it on PS3 instead of saying "Wow, that was unexpectedly popular. Quick, churn out a sequel on a platform that's cheaper to develop for!"

F*ckin' handhelds.
Sounsa an awful lot like the Kingdsom Hearts series, I swear to god that it has more games on handhelds than on an actual console

I barely play my PSP anymore, probably start playing it again when I get around to aquiring the various FF games I want for it

ayase said:

F*ckin' handhelds.

In SEGA's defence, the PSP is the perfect platform for turn based strategy/SRPG's look at the fact its had the Disgaea's re-released for it, Tactics Ogre, that wierd R-Type tactical RPG, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, they're literally from the top of my head, and all bar the R-Type game have done well for themselves critically and commercially.

The PSP is attacked for "not having any games", when what people really mean is "I can't be arsed to see if it has any games I'd like", it does take a bit of effort, but its a bloody good console for the right type of gamer (i.e. those who prefered their games in the PS1 and PS2 era's as oppose to todays consoles, so me then :p )

Releasing Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PSP does evidently make sense, its a huge platform in Japan which is the key market for such a game, its a niche market over there from what I understand but its an even smaller market in the US and smaller still in Europe (especially the UK where if your game isn't FIFA or CoD you have no chance), which is why they've gone for VC3 on PSP too.

Yeah, okay, its also alot cheaper to develop for the PSP than it is the PS3, but with the world economy as it is, and the spiraling costs of games development, it also makes sense to have a small hit on a system like the PSP than it does to have a small hit on a system that requires the kind of work that the PS3 calls out for.

Well fair enough, it's probably just me. I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of portable gaming (not beyond the complexity of Tetris or Pac-Man anyway). To my mind strategy games call for four hour marathon sessions, not a quick go on the train to work.

Thing is, VC was a hit on the PS3... presuming PS3 owners who bought VC have/want PSPs is a pretty big leap of faith. I loved VC and would certainly buy another game for PS3 in an instant. However I have no desire to own a PSP. In releasing sequels for PSP only, Sega have seemingly ignored a large part of the demographic which embraced the game in the first place. Which is fine, if you're just into churning out cheap sequels and don't really give a toss about innovation or indeed the people who made your original product successful... oh wait, we're talking about the entertainment industry. Forget it.

ayase said:
To my mind strategy games call for four hour marathon sessions, not a quick go on the train to work.
Conveniently enough, four hours is how long my PSP battery lasts. I don't use handhelds on public transport but at home, usually in bed. Once I'm into a game I forget I'm using a handheld console at all... except with action games like the 3rd Birthday, which usually leave me in crippling pain after 5 minutes.

I'm under the impression that Sega chose to develop VCII on PSP because the first one didn't sell enough. It eventually sold reasonably well but it wasn't a resounding success upon release. No doubt Sega lost a lot of potential foreign sales because the PSP is dead in the water in the US and Europe, but that's offset by the cheaper development costs. For us, though, it's a crappy situation whichever way you look at it.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Conveniently enough, four hours is how long my PSP battery lasts. I don't use handhelds on public transport but at home, usually in bed. Once I'm into a game I forget I'm using a handheld console at all... except with actions games like the 3rd Birthday, which usually leave me in crippling pain after 5 minutes.
B... b... but if you don't actually need to transport your portable console around why not use the extra power and comfort afforded by a big, stationary computer and a big, stationary screen? You could move your TV and PS3 to the foot of your bed or better still, get in a seeping bag and use your PC!

ayase said:
B... b... but if you don't actually need to transport your portable console around why not use the extra power and comfort afforded by a big, stationary computer and a big, stationary screen? You could move your TV and PS3 to the foot of your bed or better still, get in a seeping bag and use your PC!

I play PSP in bed too! It's much easier to handle there and there's absolutely no way I can move my huge TV and PS3 into my tiny bedroom and not end up being asked for a divorce. Also you can play with the lights off and pretend you are not staying up late on a work night gaming properly*.

I actually really like the popularity of the DS and PSP because it means games are still being made out there which aren't all about graphics and flashy 'realism'; I get why people like those things but I personally crave a different experience and thankfully Japan keeps churning out dozens of lower budget handheld titles to fill the niche. My PS3 still gets used most days as well, but there's place in my heart for both.

R

* - I'm not 12 years old, honest.

I'm in the "play my PSP in bed camp" too, in fact I play it wherever I want. Having a family means you can't always play "big console" games exactly when you want to, because everyone has to compromise, so it suits to me lay out on the sofa with the PSP and a copy of Tactics Ogre for a couple of hours.

In fact the only reason I manage to play the 360 when I want is because it supports VGA so I can use it on the PC monitor. I've even took to buying a small portable TV to sit on the desk so I can play Monster Hunter Tri on Wii with my friend.

Maxon said:
PLAY GAMES THE WAY I WANT! BAAAAAAAWWWWW!
Maxon, I think I've said before that you don't need to take everything I say entirely seriously. Imagine Charlie Brooker or Clarkson articulating my posts, rather than say, Hitler. I question others and contrast them to myself because I'm interested to know how and why they think differently, not to convince them to accept my point of view as being correct. There aren't trolls everywhere y'know.

@Riva - "Family" and "compromise" aren't things I ever plan on doing, but I guess that makes sense. Different strokes and all that.

ayase said:
Imagine Charlie Brooker or Clarkson articulating my posts, rather than say, Hitler.
lolz.

Most of the games I play on handhelds aren't available on home consoles, and I echo Rui's sentiments about 2D and less graphically advanced games (though PSN, Live Arcade, and Virtual Console all have that covered as well). And often it feels like less effort to pick up a handheld than firing up one of the lumbering beasts.

Also, some reasons I like the DS (and to a lesser extent the PSP): NO LOADING. NO INSTALLATION. NO UPDATES. Just put game into console, switch console on, play game. Like it used to be.

I'm going to cut in and say two things
1) This sucks and at the moment saying no to localising anything is asking to be painted as yet another coming of the devil (along with Capcom and NOA)

2) War of the Lions is far better on iOS than PSP. The PSP port was a mess.

ConanThe3rd said:
2) War of the Lions is far better on iOS than PSP. The PSP port was a mess.
Oh? What have they changed for the iOS version? I was kind of tempted by it anyway, but this sounds even more promising.

Back