Nisekoi

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
So, with the launch of Weekly Shonen Jump in the UK, I read the preview chapter of Nisekoi and absolutely fell in love with it and since then, I have caught up with the series (After a massive two day spurt xD).

Does anyone else here like Nisekoi?

I'd seen it mentioned as one of the better series currently in Jump, but didn't think that was saying much these days so hadn't paid it much attention... how would you sum it up?

ilmaestro said:
I'd seen it mentioned as one of the better series currently in Jump, but didn't think that was saying much these days so hadn't paid it much attention... how would you sum it up?
The series starts off as a romantic comedy focusing heavily on a love triangle, but as the series progresses it turns into more and more of a harem. I'd say an accurate description would be like it's To Love Ru minus the aliens, ghosts and fanservice - just more and more romance.

The premise is basically this: Raku Ichijou is a high school student, as well as the heir to a yakuza syndicate. One day at school, he meets a new transfer student called Chitoge Kirisaki and of course, they hate each other the moment they meet (to be fair, she does knee him in the face). However, Raku quickly finds out that Chitoge is the heir to a mafia family who is on the brink of erupting into a war with the yakuza syndicate Raku is the heir to. To prevent this war, the two of them are forced to pretend to be lovers.

However, Raku is constantly carrying around a locked pendant. He has a vague memory from 10 years ago of a girl whom he can no longer remember - that one day they will meet again and she, possessing the key to the pendant, will open it and fulfil a promise they made. Raku is also in love with a girl in his class, Kosaki Onodera.

I'm quite fond of Nisekoi, the author has a great comic sensibility and it's made me laugh out loud on many occasions. I actually preferred the original concept as presented in its original oneshot over the way it was finally done in the series. Still, it's a very pleasant read.

I heard the author's previous series Double Arts was absolutely amazing but got cut short way before it should have been...

I love the writing of Nisekoi. I can't believe Naoshi Komi managed to write a whole chapter about a classroom seating arrangement change and make it so entertaining and above all else, funny. I've also had moments where I've clutched myself and squirmed on my bed at the romance side of things.

Ath said:
I heard the author's previous series Double Arts was absolutely amazing but got cut short way before it should have been...

I've read Double Arts and it was amazing. Sadly, it wasn't popular so fell victim to Jump's cancellation policy. I've read a couple of chapters of Nisekoi online and liked it, but I'm probably just going to buy the volumes when they come out.

st_owly said:
Ath said:

I've read Double Arts and it was amazing. Sadly, it wasn't popular so fell victim to Jump's cancellation policy. I've read a couple of chapters of Nisekoi online and liked it, but I'm probably just going to buy the volumes when they come out.
One thing that does irk me is, volumes 1-4 are available on Viz's digital store, which we don't get here and the print version of volume 1 isn't due out until December >>

I'm just glad we're getting a print version. It looked for a while like they were only going to release it digitally. For me, no print, no buy.

Joshawott said:
ilmaestro said:
I'd say an accurate description would be like it's To Love Ru minus the entertaining bits

You have easily saved me from starting it, thanks. ^^;

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
ilmaestro said:
I'd say an accurate description would be like it's To Love Ru minus the entertaining bits

You have easily saved me from starting it, thanks. ^^;

However, it does have yakuza members who make Valentine's Day chocolates for their heir. It also has an assassin made to target the main character, which is similar to Golden Darkness' role in TLR xD

Back