Ni No Kuni

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Just started today and I am finding it very easy. Surpising really considering it's a level 5 game and they are normally hard as nails games. Wondering if the the Ghibi tag has meant that they have had to make it easier for the younger audinece. Anyway I love the welsh farie thing. My mate reckons there is a awesome drinking game everytime he says tidy take a shot! I am on my way to the desert now and I haven't loved a JPRG like this for a long time. The battle system is really odd and different at the same time. And it wouldn't be a Level 5 game without loads of extra things to do and collect during the game. I already drowning in all the cool little things like the book and feeding the little creatures in your party.What do you guys think?

Received my copy but it is in a backlog of games so it will be a while before I get around to playing it (I have played a demo though and it seemed good)

I'm desperately trying to complete Final Fantasy 9 so I can get started on this, although my PS3 is making some quiet squeaking sounds lately and I'm hoping it's not about to die.

I think it's harder than it looks. Dessert bit was the first time I found it a little harder though. It isn't really hard like level-5 games usually but has a weird learning curve - it just tends to be that I struggle with something the first time I encounter it or the first time I have to do something new and then it clicks and it's easy from there on again. I don't think the boss in the Temple of Trials was easy though.

I'm not sure I get on well with the AI partners. Why do they always put their familiars away?

Anyway I'm totally agreed that I haven't loved a JRPG this much in a long time. It's beautiful.

I see what you mean Rusty's Nightmare used my stupid face as a mop the first time I fought him.

Then I remembered buffing is a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
devilrules666 said:
Didn't find the boss in the temple too hard. But then I am grinding like a bastard. :D On my way to the volcano.
Once I stopped caring for Ester, I found that boss a lot less annoying. Until you get to capture monsters, she's not much use.

On that topic, her Dad, totally Colin McFarlane (Voice of The Cube and the badguy from Oscar's Orchestra, aka; the only reason that show was worth a consummate damn), Annit?

Ok, untill I get that "Everyone Defend/attack" command, I'm just going to go under the assumption that Ester isn't going to live to see the end of the fight.

FourthLion said:
I don't think the boss in the Temple of Trials was easy though.
I was surprised at how little trouble I had with this. From the start of the fight the boss was fixated on Esther's familiar, but incredibly she wasn't dying, leaving me free to spam the ice spell until my MP was depleted. By then the boss was half dead and STILL fixated on Esther, who was somehow STILL alive, enabling me to get a few hits in with my strongest poke--er, familiar. Then her familiar picked up a golden orb and unleashed a special attack and that was that.

I haven't actually died on any boss yet, though my tactics have amounted to "use Oliver, run away, spam magic when get chance" for each of them. I have, however, died in plenty of regular battles, mainly because they're so mind-numbingly boring and I switch off and - oh - I'm dead. The battle system is just not fun to use and enemies being practically impossible to avoid is the final insult. I'm in the volcano at the moment and levelling extremely slowly, as if the game has decided I've reached the level cap for this area, but enemies are still taking lots of punishment and dealing lots of damage AND I CAN'T RUN PAST THEM.

Eff this game.

I can't believe how different my experience is to yours. I breeze through all the random battles and very rarely find them a chore but found one or two bosses pretty difficult. I think i went into the temple boss totally underlevelled though. I'd basically only had 1 fight with Esther before it and she flat out sucked.

I find it pretty easy to avoid enemies too (both inside and outside battle) unless you are already attacking them.

I'm loving the game but I am willing to concede it is not the wonder game that the press seems to make it out to be, it's just a good JRPG with great production values which is something you see so rarely this generation that it seems to have blown everyone's perspective.

FourthLion said:
I'm loving the game but I am willing to concede it is not the wonder game that the press seems to make it out to be, it's just a good JRPG with great production values which is something you see so rarely this generation that it seems to have blown everyone's perspective.
That's an usually balanced viewpoint! But I agree. It's a solid traditional RPG with excellent production values and lots of colourful locales. I don't think it's quite worthy of the praise it's received but I can understand why people are taken with Ni No Kuni when there have been so few worthy RPGs on this generation of home consoles at least.

I've also been having the boss' obsession with Esther. The Jellyfish thing after the half-way point of the battle - ended up having my two party members die and finished the battle with Mitey twatting the thing in between the little hops he does. Swaine was no help, constantly putting his familiar away and using his weak as hell weapon.

Felt so irked by this for the first ten hours or so but am coming around to it... but it's no way 'God Tier' as some reviews suggest. Feels like the surprised child between Eternal Sonata and Dragon Quest VIII

I've definitely not got the hang of battling with two characters yet, Esther keeps dying on me. It's especially annoying when a boss charges up a super attack, her AI will absolutely refuse to defend when it's unleashed! Other than that, I'm still enjoying the game. Just finished Old Smoky and am now on my way to the coast to get a ship/

Max Takeshi said:
I've also been having the boss' obsession with Esther. The Jellyfish thing after the half-way point of the battle - ended up having my two party members die and finished the battle with Mitey twatting the thing in between the little hops he does. Swaine was no help, constantly putting his familiar away and using his weak as hell weapon.
I didn't have trouble with the Jellyfish, but the following boss made me quit the game. If I wasn't casting a spell as a magic-using familiar only for the boss to start charging its most powerful attack a split second later, leaving me waiting for my spell to finish before frantically bumbling my way through menus to defend, it was defending one attack and not being able to defend a second attack during the first defend's cooldown.

Ath said:
I've definitely not got the hang of battling with two characters yet, Esther keeps dying on me. It's especially annoying when a boss charges up a super attack, her AI will absolutely refuse to defend when it's unleashed! Other than that, I'm still enjoying the game. Just finished Old Smoky and am now on my way to the coast to get a ship/
Somewhere between 12 and 15 hours into the game, Level 5 reveal that they've been trolling you up to that point by giving you an "all defend" option, which is triggered at the touch of a button and makes the AI instantly defend. Why such a helpful thing was withheld for so long, only they can tell you. As for Esther dying, you can keep her alive a bit longer by giving her a tank (i.e. high defence) familiar. That magic-user she starts with is far from optimal given the AI's ineptitude.

Oh, and yeah, the spoiler thing. You're gonna work like a dog for it. FETCH! GOOD BOY! FETCH! Etc.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I didn't have trouble with the Jellyfish, but the following boss made me quit the game. If I wasn't casting a spell as a magic-using familiar only for the boss to start charging its most powerful attack a split second later, leaving me waiting for my spell to finish before frantically bumbling my way through menus to defend, it was defending one attack and not being able to defend a second attack during the first defend's cooldown.

I know the one, just did it. Got the fella down to 20% health left on my first try but then he just spammed his most powerful attack. Leveled up a familiar a tiny bit for a lightening spell and beat it next time without any problems or magic using :?

One of these points might be that I'm now getting to the point where the familiars are able to change into their final form. Yay for over-leveling, I guess.

Really wish there was a way to see which creatures you've already captured while on the battle (if I haven't missed it that is?). Spent about an hour trying to get one only to realise I already had it.

Max Takeshi said:
[quote="fabricatedlunatic"Really wish there was a way to see which creatures you've already captured while on the battle (if I haven't missed it that is?). Spent about an hour trying to get one only to realise I already had it.

If you go onto the creature information screen the ones you have captured are marked by a heart after the creatures name if you have captured it.

Back