New UK TV channel to show anime?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to reports at Digital Spy, there could be an interesting new digital TV channel coming to the UK courtesy of Jetix (formerly Fox Kids). Dubbed "GXT", it is apparently going to be a channel aimed at "12 to 17-year-old boys" with "Japanese animation" said to be a part of the schedule.

GXT is planned to go live in Italy on the 1st of May, with the CEO for Jetix Europe quoted as saying "Once we've seen how successful it is in Italy then we will make a decision as to whether or not to bring it to the UK." More news on this as we hear it, although a little research suggests that the Italian GXT is set to air anime series including Inuyasha, X, GTO and Ranma 1/2.

Just did a little bit of digging in Google and found the following anime lined up for the Italian broadcast:

the best of the Japanese animation with Gto, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Sayiuchi, X and Alexander.

Some promising anime mentioned in that list.

I'm trying to keep my hopes down for this after the whole Adult Swim let down, but I can't help but feel really quite optimistic :)

EDIT: Also, check out this Italian TV schedule - http://www.digital-sat.it/Imago%20notiz ... ggio05.jpg

Finally, a channel with anime in the right place.

that pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. and there's the availability of the channel to consider: is it going to be on standard digital terrestrial freeview, pay-per-view or Sky? i think i'll wait to see how the Italian version gets on before thinking too far ahead.

Sounds good, but as other have said there is alot of factors to think about and we still have to wait to see how well it is going to do in Italy. I wonder why they decided to go for Italy first, i suppose anime is perhapes bigger there, lets hope it does well

it appears they already have the rights to inuyashia and raman 1/2 so it remains to be seen

we got DBZ and GT a year after europe did

same with digimon and shaman king

Sounds great! Been waiting for an announcement like this for quite a while. Now it's up to our Italian cousins to do us a favour :wink:

Concrete badger said:
that pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. and there's the availability of the channel to consider: is it going to be on standard digital terrestrial freeview, pay-per-view or Sky? i think i'll wait to see how the Italian version gets on before thinking too far ahead.

If it comes under 'Entertainment' or 'Kids' it'll probably be part of the standard Sky package (although with our set-up we don't get Disney Channel so I suppose it might not be available to everyone). I'm also remaining cautiously optimistic, but there are quite a few 'ifs' in that article so I won't get too excited just yet.

The only reason im excided about this news is it will be bring the bigger serie of anime that we dont get to see and buy in the UK like Inuyasha and ranma1/2.

Well all just have to wait and see if this channel does go ahead, although i for one will be waiting anxiously with my fingers, toes, arms, legs and anything else thats humanly possible to cross just to be sure. :lol:

Back