New to anime

Billyuk89

Completely Average High School Student
Hello everyone
I’m new to the world of anime and I was just wondering where is best to start
I love action so please let me know.

Thanks
Billy

I’ve seen the obvious Pokemon and dragon ball z grew up watching them, but need to know some more to watch I stopped watching but I want to start again.

Thanks for the welcome

Hey always nice to see someone who might become a new fan! I would say look for some shounen (teen boy demographic) for some in action that won't instantly put you off, some of them are long and serialized, with long overarching plots though, I'd say start with dragonball z or the original dragon ball and see what you think. There are plenty of others to recommend, but dbz has been long of shoenen in the West since it was on Toonami years ago

I’ve seen the obvious Pokemon and dragon ball z grew up watching them, but need to know some more to watch I stopped watching but I want to start again.

Thanks for the welcome
Ah... already? Haven't seen a few of the similar ones but they are naruto, bleach, attack on titan, you'll hear about big ones like that all the time. Just see what you think of then and hang around the community for a while, any anime community loves reccomending. I would also throw my personal favourite, claymore in there. It's almost a seinen (more mature title) due to a few darker narrative elements but it's very much got action shoenen trappings

Hey always nice to see someone who might become a new fan! I would say look for some shounen (teen boy demographic) for some in action that won't instantly put you off, some of them are long and serialized, with long overarching plots though, I'd say start with dragonball z or the original dragon ball and see what you think. There are plenty of others to recommend, but dbz has been long of shoenen in the West since it was on Toonami years ago
Yeah thanks I’ll give it a go and thank you for the advice :) always been interested in it ..but now I’m going to start spending my hard earned money on it :) and I’ve watched dragon ball z but I do want to rewatch it ..plus what is attack on Titan like?

I suggest then Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Formula wise its similar to all shounen, but with its 64 episodes of character building, and epic conclusion is pretty much a must watch for all fans. It shouldn't be a difficult show for a newcomer to get into.

Don't confuse it with its original anime from 2003, which is great in its own aspects (and better than brotherhood in some parts) goes anime original so if you want to experience the full canon story of FMA make sure to watch the Brotherhood version.

captaaainuniverse: thanks I’ll try them out and I want to check out attack on Titan so might have a look at that and I’ve got 2 weeks of work soon so I’ll have plenty of time to catch up.

Lambadelta:thank you ill check out this anime as well I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about this so I’ll let you know what I think of it and I like the character building bit makes it more interesting so looking forward it.

Yeah thanks I’ll give it a go and thank you for the advice :) always been interested in it ..but now I’m going to start spending my hard earned money on it :) and I’ve watched dragon ball z but I do want to rewatch it ..plus what is attack on Titan like?
It has it's problems like pretty much all shoenen do (a lot of them are continued for marketing purposes) but attack on titan is a world where humanity is on the brink of extinction, hiding behind 3 giant walls from man eating humanoid titans, one boy, eren, swears revenge on the titans for keeping them trapped

Yeah I’ll have a look at that during my days off..at the moment I’m watching fullmetal alchemist brotherhood episode 1 started :) so far enjoying it

Even better it’s on Netflix as well :D
As you have Netflix I would recommend Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop and if you want something a bit more cerebral Death Note (it has a few action beats, but is more of a thriller). Attack on Titan season 1 is also on there, but not season 2 yet, it is on another streaming service, but there's plenty of anime to get through on Netflix before adding more services.

A full list of streaming series can be found here
Also MyAnimeList can be useful for recommendations. As a popular series Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has a lot of recommendations, although some have tenuous links.

Thanks for the recommendations I’ll have to watch all these during my break :) can’t wait and yeah I saw the film on Netflix I was going to watch it tonight but not sure ..and yeah so far I’m enjoying brotherhood :) this should keep me busy for a little while and thanks for the help

Welcome to the forums!

These are the anime I'd recommend to a newcomer in order of different genre:
Mech/Space Mech- Gurren Lagann
Sci-fi- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex & 2nd Gig or Psycho-Pass
Slice of life- K-On! or Hidamari Sketch
Fantasy- Little Witch Academia
Comedy- Space Dandy
Drama- Anohana!
Action- Black Lagoon, Second Barrage & Roberta's Blood Trail
Sports/Hobbies- Yuri!!! On Ice or Akagi/Kaiji
Game/MMO- No Game No Life
Romance- Eureka Seven (this is technically sci-fi and mech but a lot of the focus is put on the developing relationship between the two main characters)
90's- Berserk
Post-Millennium- Naruto & Naruto Shippuden or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Some things I'd like to say though- don't be like a reviewer, their job is to be critical, when their watching the 20th different show with similar tropes in one day it burns them out and stifles their enjoyment of the last few things they watch and I got my eyes on the berserk manga, near 40 volumes, £400 odd. If you're gonna get into home releases and manga - budget!

Yeah ok then thanks for the advice ...I ain’t going to rush them I’m going to enjoy them :) and I have 3 boys so budgeting is important lol and thanks

Welcome to the forums!

These are the anime I'd recommend to a newcomer in order of different genre:
Mech/Space Mech- Gurren Lagann
Sci-fi- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex & 2nd Gig or Psycho-Pass
Slice of life- K-On! or Hidamari Sketch
Fantasy- Little Witch Academia
Comedy- Space Dandy
Drama- Anohana!
Action- Black Lagoon, Second Barrage & Roberta's Blood Trail
Sports/Hobbies- Yuri!!! On Ice or Akagi/Kaiji
Game/MMO- No Game No Life
Romance- Eureka Seven (this is technically sci-fi and mech but a lot of the focus is put on the developing relationship between the two main characters)
90's- Berserk
Post-Millennium- Naruto & Naruto Shippuden or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Ditto ;) :)

Seriously Billyuk you should visit the Anime for Veterans and Beginners thread for some off the cuff recommendations.

Anime for Veterans and Beginners

Also think of looking to Crunchy Roll for some free anime. It is a very ready source for those looking to bugdet and (re)find their feet in anime.

One thing I always suggest to new fans, something Captaaainuniverse and yourself have already hit on. Slow your roll. Too much, too soon will lead to a burn out (even if you are enjoying yourself) and being the old school sort that I am, it is a hobby that can get expensive (330+ titles, over 1000 dvd's and something short of a university tuition spent on such a collection. It was a hell of an education).

Find your feet, be willing to try new things, but watch what you buy, literally and figuratively. The backlog thread should give some idea of how insane things can get and hopefully keep things a bit more rational for you. If you need help give any one of us a shout and we'll certainly try.

I will throw this up as a PSA to Newcomers. Avoid Thai or Malaysian Specials on Ebay or Amazon. They are cheap for a reason. Even if overall quality isn't high priority, there is a good chance you are shunning the hand that feeds you, not to mention that odds are the titles you're buying are already available for free or on subscription on Netflix or Crunchyroll. Pay the producers their worth.

Finally I'll throw this out to you for some ideas (bear in mind I focus on older anime although there will be some newer ones)

Mech/Space Mech- Bubblegum Crisis OVA/Macross Plus/Battle Angel Alita
Sci-fi- Gungrave
Slice of life- Summer Wars
Fantasy- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Comedy- You're Under Arrest (if you're feeling bold try Excel Saga)
Drama- Cowboy Bebop (This title fits nearly all these Genre as well)
Action- Redline/ Riding Bean/ Gunsmith Cats (inc the manga)
Sports/Hobbies- Bamboo Blade
Game/MMO- .hack// series
Romance- Oh! My Goddess.
80's- Ninja Scroll/ Castle of Cagliostro
90's- Berserk/ Slayers/ Cowboy Bebop (really can't emphasis this title enough)
Post-Millennium-Soul Eater/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Back