New Sailor Moon anime announced

Sailor Moon to get a new anime series in summer 2013!

Source

As a big fan of Sailor Moon, I'm happy with this announcement. But I worry they may moe-ify the designs! Wonder if they are going for a remake or a completely new anime series.

Lawrence said:
JoJo's cool but a Sailor Moon remake? I mean lets be fair but unlike Jojo and Hunter x Hunter (which never adapted the source material in full), Sailor Moon did, it got a whole five seasons and it wasn't even that long ago.
Well, I'm game if only for a redo of the super S and Stars arc, cause those were appalling, even by Toei's low standards.

I'm a bit bored of remakes in general, however I can put that aside for Sailor Moon. I prefer the existing anime to the manga, but if they want to do a more faithful adaptation they can blaze through it quite quickly and it could be interesting. Plus, there'll be more Sailor Moon music!

R

i agree remakes are boring ................ unless -

its continuing the story to the manga
if the remake is better then the original * since when*

The idol group Momoiro Clover Z, publisher Kodansha, and creator Naoko Takeuchi announced on Friday that a new anime adaptation of Takeuchi's Sailor Moon manga is being produced. The new anime series is aimed for release next summer, and Momoiro Clover Z will perform a theme song.

Momoiro Clover Z made the announcement during a live event celebrating the 20th anniversary of the manga. Momoiro Clover Z sang the first Sailor Moon anime's theme song "Moonlight Densetsu" at the event via a live video feed from France, where they are guests of Japan Expo.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ummer-2013[/quote]

Ok, we now have a jumbled up thread with some bits from the old one joining Maxon's new one.

I think the reason I'm so much more excited about this news that about the other recent remakes we've been having, is that it's really been an exceptionally long time since the Sailor Moon anime was relevant in my life, and I loved it very much back then. FMA, HxH, Saint Seiya and Jojo have consistently kept popping up over the years before receiving their renewals, but aside from some live action projects and the manga revival in the US, Sailor Moon had seemed finished for ages.

When speaking to a friend a few months ago, I remarked that Sailor Moon is probably the series I've read/watched the most over the years, and in the biggest mixture of languages; when I started out with it, the English version was not available here, let alone the Japanese edition. Since the announcement some of my Japanese friends have been speaking about all of their memories with the series from as far back as their primary school days (which makes me feel horribly old since I was already a teenager when I was watching, but nevermind).

There was even a chapter of Kingyo Used Books (available in English from Viz) which briefly explored the nostalgia adult women feel for this particular series. I'm hoping worldwide actually means worldwide this time.

R

This should be interesting, I wonder if they can pull it off though?

I've fond memories of watching the entire series in German (my statalite picked up a few german stations - got to watch Dragonball too).

Well if eva dragonball and hellsling can get remakes why not miss moon as well? Just hope that if it gets dubbed that it isnt as bad as the original dub. Stupid new york accents....

As far as I know the manga was way before the original anime, so I don't understand how the anime can be "better" than the manga, certainly not in origination. I was excited when I read the headline, but my excitement soon wained when I read "adaptation" with no clearification that it would stay true to the manga. I'm fed up with alternate retellings of the same story. I can thank Tenchi Muyo for that painful injury that never seems to heal.

Does something coming first always mean that follow-ups cannot surpass the original in any way? I liked the anime more because, among other things, it had more focus on secondary characters and came with amazing music attached. The manga is ok, but it flies through some of the content very quickly, so my personal preference is for the animated version of Sailor Moon.

R

Mohawk52 said:
As far as I know the manga was way before the original anime.

The manga of Sailor Moon began it's run in 1991, the anime series started in 1992 - so not that long. Infact, the manga and anime were probably simultaneous near the end (around SM Stars period).

Hopefully the anime will have a new story, more akin to the SNES game, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story where past, present and future get mixed up and Sailor Moon has to save the day.

Or maybe it will be a twist on one of the Sailor Moon Arcs. I enjoyed Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon because it eventually came into it's own. Dark Mercury improved the character of Sailor Mercury!

I also hope for some more Outer Senshi action and general dark plotlines with some dosage of angst. It's probably why S is my favourite season. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sailor Moon <3

I used to watch it on tv all the time when I was younger. I remember I went to London for a day trip, must have been about 14...went shopping with my uncle and came home with a load of Sailor Moon goodies.

Then when I had to join a new school, they gave me an English test to see if I needed to re-do year 9 or if I could just go straight into year 10. The teacher gave me an hour to just write about anything, so I chose Sailor Moon.

Best memories I have of being younger.

So excited for this!

"Fighting evil by moonlight, Winning love by daylight..."

This should be pretty cool, Sailor Moon was my first experience of shoujo and moe back before I even knew what those words meant, heck then again I think it was the first ever experience of Japanese animation period, remember watching it on Fox Kids. So will definitley be looking out for this one closer to the air date!

Lawrence said:
Can't we reboot things once they're a little older than 20?
Twenty years is a pretty long time in entertainment. Delivery mechanisms, production processes, audiences change a great deal in that sort of time. How many people getting into anime today (or in the last few years) will really have seen Sailor Moon?

Considering I stopped watching Sailor Moon like half way through the series, I think this will actually be a good way of getting back into it, even though I usually hate remakes.

Back