New Release Dates - Moribito Complete & Ikki Tousen: Dra

ilmaestro said:
Are they adding anything to the full collection, then?

I've asked MVM about the Moribito release, this is what they said:

-------------------
It will just be a basic one box, all disc set.

Regards
-------------------

It is not worth waiting for it and I don't need to have regrets, because I've bought the volumes. However, it's a shame that most publishers don't put any effort into their packages, anymore.

Well, if they released cheap collections after the initial version which were better in some way, fans like me would rage and stop buying things on release at all. Which would be a problem, as several US companies learned to their cost. The most effort should always go into the very first release if a company wants to keep its fanbase keen, I feel.

R

Rui said:
Well, if they released cheap collections after the initial version which were better in some way, fans like me would rage and stop buying things on release at all. Which would be a problem, as several US companies learned to their cost. The most effort should always go into the very first release if a company wants to keep its fanbase keen, I feel.

R

I agree with you, but they didn't but any effort into their initial release. That's why I hoped they make a better complete collection e.g. take a look at the German complete collection http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9135/moribito.jpg it can't be that expensive to produce, because the German release is only 28,75€. Ok, the initial release price was 45€, but it is still cheap.

Aside from their brief experiment with a few volume 1 + art box releases, MVM have never really done anything special with packaging first time around. They used to repackage the singles into really nice thinpak box sets some time after the release of the final volume (which may have deterred people from buying the singles) but sadly they no longer do that, most likely to save money.

Beez are pretty much the only UK distributor using anything like premium packaging these days.

I'd like some fancier releases too, but it seems that the market here is a lot less healthy than Germany's :(

When I R1 I've been supporting Funi's latest vol 1 + box LE experiment in the hope that it catches on (or at least lasts long enough that my season 2 of Black Butler looks as sexy as season 1...). Seems that a lot of people here though only want the lowest price possible, and don't care about the quality.

R

Rui said:
Seems that a lot of people here though only want the lowest price possible, and don't care about the quality.

R
If they wanted quality they'd have given up on the UK and gone US import only years ago. USA releaes being shite as well has actualy pushed me back to the UK for some things, in the vein hope they might fix authoring errors.

I'm now loath to buy S23, NISA, Bandai Ent, Viz, or FUNi (though they do tend to catch some and do product recalls)releases without a decent review or two out first to check for glaring errors.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Beez are pretty much the only UK distributor using anything like premium packaging these days.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but the only premium boxsets from Beez I know and that are still available are the limited edition of Gurren Lagann, Durarara!! and maybe Gundam 00, the rest is Anime Legends amaray stuff.

Rui said:
I'd like some fancier releases too, but it seems that the market here is a lot less healthy than Germany's.

Unfortunately, sales for anime Blu-Rays/DVDs in Germany might be the worst in all of Europe. Kaze Germany, Ufa anime release a lot less, compared to the us/uk, but they put more effort into the package/extras. However, they have no choice, people have expectations if they pay 70€-120€ for an 24-26 episodes boxset.

Mace20de said:
Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but the only premium boxsets from Beez I know and that are still available are the limited edition of Gurren Lagann, Durarara!! and maybe Gundam 00, the rest is Anime Legends amaray stuff.
No, you're right: Beez mostly do premium packaging for the initial releases.

A few years ago they would release half or complete series sets with art boxes (My Hime, Planetes, Witch Hunter Robin, Fantastic Children, etc.) and still do premium releases occasionally, like 2009's Bebop Remix digipack and the forthcoming Durarara complete collection.

fabricatedlunatic said:
A few years ago they would release half or complete series sets with art boxes (My Hime, Planetes, Witch Hunter Robin, Fantastic Children, etc.) and still do premium releases occasionally, like 2009's Bebop Remix digipack and the forthcoming Durarara complete collection.

I recently payed a small fortune for the old Witch Hunter Robin and Planetes Premium boxsets, a Cowboy Bebop boxset is nearly impossible to get as R2 release, maybe Beez re-release it one day. Do you have any news, when the Durarara!! complete set will be released?.

Beez's old half series boxes could hardly have been called "premium" though. Ah, I even remember complaining about them at the time. :: reminisces::

They were bare-bones releases (special features: Beez trailers! Woo!) with dirt-cheap boxes at premium prices. The coverings of the boxes is not dissimilar to laser printer paper. Anywhere my Cowboy Bebop ones have a crease (even where the cover is folded around the edges of the box) the print is wearing off and has been doing so since the day I got them. I could scratch it off with my fingernails applying only light pressure. They've gotten a lot better at the art of packaging since then, but it is a shame their Anime Legends releases are so budget as to only warrant plastic cases. Digipacks (minus the AL banner) would have been lovely.

Ah, I never bought any of the old half series box sets. The Fantastic Children collection they released has a nice sturdy, glossy box.

Mace20de said:
Do you have any news, when the Durarara!! complete set will be released?
Just what the Beez representative mentioned a couple of months ago:

beez_andrew said:
DRR I'm pressing for but there'll be a dubbed boxset by next year I believe. It's definitely happening anyway, with assets out there it would be a bad move not to do so.
and...
Won't got to Anime Legends immediately either - will instead get a nicer release with dub first - different to the US release too.

Mace20de: Thanks for the info on the Moribito box-set. :)

Reaper gI said:
If they wanted quality they'd have given up on the UK and gone US import only years ago. USA releaes being shite as well has actualy pushed me back to the UK for some things
Wait, what?

@fabricatedlunatic thanks, for the info. Guess, I will get a copy once it has been released.

ayase said:
Beez's old half series boxes could hardly have been called "premium" though.
Sadly, these boxes are "uber premium", compared to most of the stuff we get nowadays.

ilmaestro said:
Mace20de: Thanks for the info on the Moribito box-set.
Nevermind :), I was just curious myself. I had a slim hope that they release a better complete set.

Back