New Magical Girl anime - Magical Canan =^_^=

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I'm in heaven :mrgreen: I have found a new Magical Girl anime to watch. It's based on a game rather than a manga and it's called Magical Canan. There are only 2 episodes so far but it is definitely enough to give a quick review incase any other MG fans are interested!!

Admittedly there is nothing new about this anime but rather than that being a bad thing, it is a good thing! Familiar characters, familiar baddies, familiar scenario (so far anyway).

Chihaya is the Magical Girl, so far she seems very sweet and likeable, much like Card Captor Sakura. She has the typical response to finding out she has been chosen to be the hero and has a very "interesting" transformation, was reminded a little of Full Moon Wo Sagashite at this point!! The monsters she has to defeat/purify are very similar to the ones in early episodes of Sailor Moon, where a human is the target and in good old Magical Girl fashion she waves her wand and the human is saved!!
Chihaya is befriended by a cute little purple creature called Chuu (he looks like a digimon *lol*) but in reality he is something far more interesting.
From what I can tell, it looks like there will be a host of very likeable characters, goodies and baddies alike! and I can't wait to see more of this anime!

The opening and ending songs were very lively and catchy and the incidental music fitted in well.
On the whole, I found this series, so far, lives up to the title Magical Girl anime but has the advantage of being CG created and therefore backgrounds and the such are worth looking at, rather than the flat, colourless backgrounds of older series.

Magical Canan is a true Mahou-shoujo and if that genre isn't for you, it might be best to avoid.

Before someone else mentions it, I will point out that this is not the original Septerm Charm ~ Magical Canan ~ which is the more....ahem....mature version, it is the totally new 2005 version :twisted:

Cap - Miaka, shoujo's for girls, why the fan-service?

Miaka-chan - Ahh Cap-san, it's not fan-service, girls really do just talk about boob-size and it's all in good taste, in the world of anime at least

Or words to that effect.

So yeah, Canan seems quite good, a couple of annoying aspects but if you are in any way open to shoujo stuff, give this one a try. I don't like it as much as Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (which I rate highly) but it is only the first episode I've seen.

Or, as I pointed out, magical girl anime has plenty of fanservice in order to attract male viewers. Just look at the costumes in ... well, everything. Even the shows that are definitely aimed mostly at girls. A little of that sort of thing won't put (many) girls off the show, and it might attract a larger male audience, so it makes sense to include a little.

Or does it?

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, it's a little of both. Mind you, Canan almost starts out with a typical girl's changing room scene, so it's hard to not take it as fan service.
Yet with all the filth available in Japan, why would you trawl through a show you didn't want to watch anyway just to see some cleavage?
*sigh*

Mind you, as Miaka pointed out it is based on a hentai game so comparatively it has been majorly toned down and would probably get a PG rating here anyway.

I think most fans tend to look for more than just boobs in an anime (yes, even teenage male fans). There's plenty of content in shoujo anime to appeal to boys other than scantily clad girls, anyway. In fact, I think that these days there is becoming less of a distinction between what is aimed at girls and what is aimed at boys.

Just wanted to point out something regarding Colin's comment on Sailor Fuku etc!
Naoko Takeuchi stated more than once that she was pretty annoyed at the treatment her Sailor Moon stories got from the animators! She states in one of the manga that her stories are for girls but when the animators got their hands on it, they added their own male orientated influence to it, which is probably why there are the odd panty shots etc (although in Sailor Moon itself, there aren't actually any "panty" shots as the girls wear leotards :lol: ). You might find that any fan service eliment is put there by the male animators for themselves rather than it being for any other reason.
You also get scenes where there appears to be fan service but infact it's just an indication that the male character in the story is a typical pervy teenage boy, who wouldn't be quite normal if he weren't peaking at girls :lol:
So really it's a case of deciding for yourself whether it's real fanservice or not. My personal opinion is in most shoujo it's nothing of the sort and it's purely the male viewers way of seeing things :wink:

Capuchin said:
Good, but I'd say that there is still a distinction amongst people who watch anime in the West.
I think the distinction tends to be somewhat forced; people try and define everything as either "shoujo" or "shounen". This is rather like describing every novel as either "fantasy" or "science fiction" -- firstly it can be hard to tell where one ends and the other begins, and secondly there's plenty of stuff that really isn't either.

Miaka-chan said:
Naoko Takeuchi stated more than once that she was pretty annoyed at the treatment her Sailor Moon stories got from the animators!
She might complain, but who designed those costumes? The skirts end where? It's surprise we don't see more of their underwear, really ... more than just Rei's, at least.

I never thought there was that much fanservice in Sailor Moon anyway, but I wasn't really looking for it. Sitting through episodes of Ikki Tousen and Mahou Sensei Negima at our anime society may have dulled my fanservice senses, though. It's hard to feel sad about this.

I personally can't imagine any magical girl in a long skirt :lol:
The short skirts/fuku aren't there to excite guys, they're an artistic vision of the creator! Mary Quant designed the mini skirt as a fashion statement, not for the titilation of men, it just so happened men liked looking at girls in short skirts :wink:

Charter_Mage said:
Well regardless of any fanservice, panty shots etc, i love Magical Girl anime

Exactly! :mrgreen: Even knowing Cutey Honey is 100% fan service, I still love it because it's magical girl!!

Charter_Mage said:
and i hope to get around to downloading this one pretty soon

While you're at it! you should also watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha :D

Miaka-chan said:
While you're at it! you should also watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha :D
I will defiantly give both of them a go, also Cutey Honey as i was wondering about that the other day....ah, three more to add to my list, it's about the length of my arm :lol: but i am so looling forward to watching them all

shaz said:
lol its also based on a hentai hehehehehehhehe :p

You might like to take the time to read my original post and note that I said before anyone says anything this is based on the original H-Game and the original 2000 version is also the H version :?

Back