New Ghost in the Shell Anime announced

Yeah, much as I would rather see Kenji Kamiyama and Yoko Kanno on board, I can't say I'm not keen. I wonder if it'll continue the SAC continuity or if it's going to be its own thing...

Interesting, a lot of older shows seem to be getting sequels out of nowhere this year. While I still need to watch SAC this is good news.

Professor Irony said:
Yeah, much as I would rather see Kenji Kamiyama and Yoko Kanno on board, I can't say I'm not keen. I wonder if it'll continue the SAC continuity or if it's going to be its own thing...
I'm guessing it will be a new continuity if the staff are different and it has no SAC in the title.

20130115212448c00.jpg

Source: ANN

So yeah, new design most likely means new continuity. Also, Kenji Kamiyama (who directed SAC) has confirmed that he is not involved.

The ANN forum thread is awash with tumultuous celebration for the "new Gits", the usual connotation of which distorting one's reading thereof somewhat.

Perhaps through an accident of programming induced during my formative years watching The Fast Show, and therefore expecting to see that particular word capitalised, I read the title of this new series as "Ghost in the Shell ****". Quite.

After the initial high upon seeing the thread title, I echo Maxon's feelings of cautious optimism. Excellent as GitS is, Oshii and Kamiyama are not easy acts to follow.

cXLdT.jpg

Hmm. I don't know. I don't hate it.

It's difficult, as I thought the SAC designs were more or less on the money, but I suppose I could grow to like the new look.

I love the Major's new design. Goodbye to that stupid hair, and hello to a respectable (yet still sexy in an understated way) outfit.

I'm a little more concerned about the key staff. I'd feel a lot better about things if Kenji Kamiyama was on board, but I remain hopeful.

I actually really like her new design a lot more than her Stand Alone Complex design (which was better than her Oshii film design in my opinion). I would have preferred if they'd kept her purple hair (as that was the main thing consistent between her Oshii and SAC designs), but blue isn't bad.

EDIT:
Wait...in a recent MangaUK podcast, didn't Jerome say that they would love to rerelease Oshii's Ghost in the Shell as a blu-ray steelbook but they would probably have to wait until a new series/movie came out to release it on the back of?

Well. Damn.

Allow me to be the first to say it; I hate it. Not the concept of a GiTS reboot/revival, but the Major's new design. As has been mentioned, it reeks of Kaneda, and the hair - oh God, the hair. The SAC Major was perfect. Sure, her attire was often lacking (literally), but that was rectified in 2nd GIG. To me, she seems to be Generic Angry Female, not Major Motoko Kusanagi. I just hope the rest of the main cast haven't been given too similar a treatment.

Character designs aside, I look forward to this next installment in the franchise. I don't have high hopes of it being at the same level as either Oshii's or Kamiyama's works, but it's a vibrant universe, with much to be explored. Personally, I'd like to see more on how the political affairs of SAC grew and evolved into what we see in the series, ie. birth of the American Empire and more on the Third World War. With a subtitle like Arise, something akin to that seems appropriate.

Hmm. On the fence about the new look. Will have to see it in motion to properly decide. Given how much I hate a lot of modern character design, it could have been a lot worse, and a lot of long-lived characters have undergone redesigns. That said, I can't remeber any others that changed the hair shape, hair colour and eye colour from their most well known incarnation. It's a nice design IMO, but is it Motoko? Then there's the red outfit. I can't help but think it would benefit from a complete recolour in the colours we know and love.

ayase said:
That said, I can't remeber any others that changed the hair shape, hair colour and eye colour from their most well known incarnation.

uiDyM.jpg

c9MOh.jpg

Nene and Sylvia in particular underwent a drastic redesign. I'm sure I need not ask which incarnations you prefer...

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm sure I need not ask which incarnations you prefer...
I stand corrected. When taken as designs in their own right, the 2040 designs are actually not all that bad, but such drastic redesigns of much loved characters are never a good thing. At least you didn't post the Dirty Pair Flash designs - That would make me want to punch out the monitor.

ayase said:
I can't help but think it would benefit from a complete recolour in the colours we know and love.
Well ayase, you're in luck. You happened to have time on my hands, so I did you this:

ariserecolour.jpg

You need more free time. I like that colouring better. The Prof was on the money with his KANEDAAAAA remark, and red eyes are, well, hot. I say you email that pic to I.G. because who knows, they might take your suggestion on board (though it's more likely that they'll sue you for breach of copyright or something).

I quite like the BGC 2040 designs myself, but the visual design of the show in general didn't capture my imagination the way 2032's did. In other words, 80s > 90s.

Back