New Anime Releases 01/06/09

Neferpitou

Stand User
New Releases for Monday, this week including 2 BLU RAY releases!

Death Note: #5
RRP £19.99

8903139x.jpg

Blue Dragon: 1 & 2
RRP £19.99

9267544x.jpg

(BLURAY) Afro Samurai Season 1 (Director's Cut)
RRP £22.99

9267545x.jpg

(BLURAY) Afro Samurai Resurrection (Director's Cut)
RRP £22.99

9258023x.jpg

Trailers

Death Note

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/olHfA4ADWqQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/olHfA4ADWqQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blue Dragon

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uYabt2iKjx0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uYabt2iKjx0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Afro Samurai: Season 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JdzlRY48w8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JdzlRY48w8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Afro Samurai: Resurrection

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/St9RnYZCrNY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/St9RnYZCrNY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Zero interest in anything other than Death Note, which I have preordered!

Nice to see some blu-rays over here. Would be nicer still if they were for series I wanted to see but Afro Samurai should do fairly well.

R

Have received Death Note, and watched it. :p

HMV are top for pre-orders in my book. I'm not really interested in Afro Samurai, but it is still good to see some Blu-rays out. I have the GITS films pre-ordered for later in the year.

I'll probably grab Blue Dragon. It'll be interesting to see if anime on Blu-ray picks up quicker over here than anime on DVD did.

Zeouterlimits said:
Bought the first four volumes of Death Note, not sure if I'll get the rest...

Give me volume 4, you ungrateful sod. You should be happy to have the chance to spend money on Death Note.

P.S: Blue Dragon has a MAL average of around 6.70/10. Melody of Oblivion has an average of around 6.55/10. Ye be warned.

Aion said:
Zeouterlimits said:
Bought the first four volumes of Death Note, not sure if I'll get the rest...

Give me volume 4, you ungrateful sod. You should be happy to have the chance to spend money on Death Note.

My point of view was I'd like to think Death Note ended in the middle of Volume 4. Less interested in the rest.

King Jimmeh said:
There are only 5 volumes in the UK :lol:

Yeah we got so lucky with the Death Note DVDs, we got double the episodes for the same price R1 payed for half.
The fact that the first volume was only £5 is what clinched the deal for me in the first place.

Nothing there that I like,I could never take to Death note and Blue dragon not my cup of tea either.As for Blu-Ray,I watch most of my anime on my 46" samsung 1080p HDTV and my blu -ray player and the difference between upscaling an ordinary dvd to 1080p and watching the same feature on a blu-ray disc is a slight improvement in both picture and sound quality on Blu-ray which does not however offset the major difference in price between the two formats.
The only way I can see anime taking off over here on Blu-Ray is if the main distributors start bringing out whole series on the format rather than the odd movie now and again.And these series must be ones that have yet to be released over here,because lets be honest how many of you out there who are collecting or have already the series you liked are willing to fork out more money for the same series only with slightly better quality?

ilmaestro said:
I already have with a couple of series, and I think the improvement is more than "slight" when done properly.
I have quite a few blu-ray & dvd releases of the same movie and believe when I say that the difference is slight because if you are paying maybe £10 or more for the blu-ray release over the standard dvd then surely you are entitled to a much superior expierence than what you actually get.
Plus if you look at the releases on blu-ray for anime on the main two internet retailers (amazon & play) for the upcoming months ,you can count the amount of titles on both hands .To prove my point let's take a title that has yet to released over here on region 2,Blood+ is a great anime and I bought the part 1 boxset on region 1 in may of last year (covering episodes 1-25,still waiting on the rest of the series to come out) and this would make a perfect blu-ray release.
But even Manga Ent. has said that the license is too dear and won't be bringing it over anytime soon.I just checked on amazon and if you want to buy it it will set you back £70 ,can you imagine how much the blu-ray release would cost?
They say that if you what quality you have to pay for it and normally I'd agree ( after all I bought a blu-ray player for £250 a while back ) but I just don't think the extra amount of money the companies change for blu-ray compared to dvd equates to that much better quality.Sorry for the long winded post but I really am curious what the rest of you guys on the forums think .Is blu-ray that much better?,if you already have a series on dvd and it came out on blu-ray would you buy it again?

Urzu seven said:
Nothing there that I like,I could never take to Death note and Blue dragon not my cup of tea either.As for Blu-Ray,I watch most of my anime on my 46" samsung 1080p HDTV and my blu -ray player and the difference between upscaling an ordinary dvd to 1080p and watching the same feature on a blu-ray disc is a slight improvement in both picture and sound quality on Blu-ray which does not however offset the major difference in price between the two formats.
I really am starting to wonder how much people's eyesight differs. I'm not being funny about it or anything, but I notice a huge difference even on my 27" 1080p set. And even upscaling on my PS3 I still notice edge artifacting in standard DVD's - and they certainly don't come anywhere near the sharpness of HD images.

What the TV is set to in terms of contrast and brightness etc., how close to it one is sitting and how good at upscaling the player is can all be of significance – the first of those in particular, I find (as the TV were I live has to be set to quite low contrast for the pixels in SD not to be noticeable as such but, though this makes the image seem perfectly clear, it also dulls the colours a lot and makes black in particular more of a grey). It's not all down to people's eyesight.

I think the show in question has an impact too with regards to blu-ray vs DVD quality. It's always a mixed bag with encodes on DVD and I have some blu-rays which look incredible and some which don't really blow me away. I certainly notice the difference between a *good* blu-ray disc and a DVD, however for most shows when I'm not familiar with the source material and they happen to be filmed/encoded in a DVD-friendly way, it doesn't bother me.

I'll probably upgrade my absolute A-rank shows if I think the upgrade will benefit them visually but for the majority I'm happy with DVD, unless the upgrade includes extra material as well...

But if a show comes out on blu-ray and DVD at the same time as is now starting to happen, I'll pick up the blu-ray version so long as it's not much more. A few pounds extra for [usually] more professional presentation and a better picture is something I can live with. The extra language tracks some companies stuff onto a blu-ray disc sometimes also add value.

R

Already have the region 1 version of Death Note (the limited editions with figurines). Not interested in Blue Dragon. As for Afro Samurai, the only good thing is the RZA soundtrack!! The show itself is very average. Might get it in a sale promotion.

With regards to upgrading my collection to Blu-Ray , it would depend on the show, and price.For instance,

Chobits maybe. DearS unlikely. Cowboy Bebop most likely. Ghilbi films most likely.

Akira already got.

Back