Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop to Release This November

crashmatt

Death Scythe
I'm still convinced convinced about the casting here especially John Cho as Spike. Its great they have an Asian actor in the role im just not sure he looks the part. I will still give it a go and hope for the best

Cold Cobra

Wait... Wha?!
AUKN Staff
As per usual with these live action adaptations I don't see the point in making it and I don't want to watch it but I'll watch it anyway "just in case" and then almost certainly not like it as predicted....

😐

Magillanica Lou Mayvin

Time-Traveller

Even if the corgi is half as smart as the fictional version, Ein is the one character they/any anime live-action version cannot possibly miscast. Gotta watch, if only for the dog. I doubt it'll be able to play chess, though.

I'm still convinced convinced about the casting here especially John Cho as Spike. Its great they have an Asian actor in the role im just not sure he looks the part. I will still give it a go and hope for the best

I can accept Jet being black, him having had a black guy dub him iirc. His surname is 'Black', and Netflix clearly took that rather literally. I can also readily accept Faye being an attractive Mexican. She looks the part, with a purple wig. Why we're goin for a multicultural checklist when none of the main trio appeared to be, but okay.

Spike being played by a 5'10 Korean guy (with seemingly no martial arts training?), when given the art style of Bebop he was lanky and used kicks fighting?... I don't get it. Even a quick Google reveals he's meant to be 6'1 in the anime. In the live-action screenshots he looks barely taller than Faye! I guess a reasonably tall actor, with some martial arts background, was too much to ask.
It looks the part in those screenshots as an adaptation. Costumes and whatnot cool. But if they've miscast one of the most charismatic, memorable anime protagonists, it'll be like having a guy cosplay as Spike. His character was inspired by a Japanese actor, but Watanabe was clearly trying to appeal to Western audiences with his names and character designs. It seems so random to have a small Asian guy play him. He ain't even Japanese is the best part.

Last edited: