Neo Magazine

devilrules666

Combat Butler
So I was wondering if you guys read neo magazine? I never see anyone talking about it on the forum. I was wondering if you guys liked or hated it.For me I have been reading it from issue one. It's not good as it was but it's not so bad that I want to stop buying it. There has been a slight problem with the Manga Ent reviews bias in the magazine when they are completey ignoring BEEZ'S tittles. They haven't reviewed the girl who leapt through space, sound of the sky, durarara! when they got released. They used to cover every new show when there were adv and relevation around. They used to give the same converge to everyone now it's Manga this and Manga that. besides that the rest of the magazine has always been a interesting mix of everything asian! What do you guys think?

It's... really not worth the cover price, IMO.

For news, well, you can just read it on here earlier.

And the reviews... uh.. 4/5 stars for Naruto filler isn't... uhm. Yeah.

I have every issue since No.1. with a continuing subscription, sure it's a bit out of date by the time it gets released for sale, but I like the articlas and stories from contributing writers like Jonathan Clements.

I had started buying it just before they decided to turn "Japanese". Once the new look happened, I for some reason was put off by it and stopped reading it despite having an on-going subscription. Since it most recently ended, I have come to the conclusion that I will no longer be buying it.

They are kind of backstabbers though. In a volume that came out a couple months ago, they did a whole 4 or 5 pages going on about how good High school of the dead is, and when it got to the review, they have it 3 stars! By the way they were talking i expected a 4 or 5. Same with The Sacred Blacksmith.

Also about 2 years ago there was a volume that had these feminine looking boys on the front cover and the sub heading on it said "here comes the boys". I was so embarrased to even buy the copy i nearly didnt! I only did because there were a few reviews i wanted to read!

So if Your ready this Neo, Dont do any more front covers like that!!!

Only buy it here and there these days, not really worth it as what I read it for either gets posted on HERE, UKAnime, ANN or Twitter/YouTube

If i did it is cheaper buying digitally these days

I read the first couple of issues, it didn't seem particularly good so I stopped buying it. "The internet" has very little in the way of good editorial-style content for anime, so I wouldn't be adverse to buying it if it provided that. I'm not a particularly big fan of Jonathan Clements, though, so if he is the main draw I will continue to pass.

sanji no 1 said:
Also about 2 years ago there was a volume that had these feminine looking boys on the front cover and the sub heading on it said "here comes the boys". I was so embarrased to even buy the copy i nearly didnt! I only did because there were a few reviews i wanted to read!
If they had more covers like this then I would buy it just to make other people feel as awkward and embarrassed as possible.

I had a subscription during my first year at uni. It wasn't anything truly amazing and I had ANN to get all my news back then (and then this forum too) but it was pleasant enough to come down once a month(?) to have a new magazine to read through. Though towards the end of the subscription I was starting to notice about how their features on "new" anime or anime on the horizon were about things I'd already seen.

Still have a free DVD that came with one of them on my bookshelf. Has a couple of episodes to watch...I'm sure I'll get around to it someday...

But this topic has made me realize I have no idea how I found out about the magazine, or how I subscribed. I vaguely remember a website I think.

edit: Oh and it came in a nondescript brown envelope which was a plus- especially for the witchblade issue cover...

I think I read the first issue of Neo to kill time, but it never grabbed me despite wanting to like it. I've got nothing against the idea of it but somehow I never felt like its target audience at all.

Also laughed at the pretty boys cover problem ;p I remember buying Manga Mania/Max as a youngster (relatively) and that was far worse for suspicious covers. They often seemed to involve printing the word "SEX!" in huge capital letters with a Shirow bishoujo draped over something nearby invitingly - and it seemed to get worse the closer the magazine got to its eventual cancellation. I was fine buying it but I bet their approach caused some raised eyebrows in other households.

R

I remember those Manga Mania/Max covers. Shortly before the transition from Mania to Max the publisher went through a period of using hideous live action models on the front covers, making them look like tawdry alternative wank mags. Crivens!

Fortunately a friend of mine owned a newsagent, and Manga Mania/Max wasn't even close to the most dubious of things I took off his shelves ^_^;

Oh, Neo? Nah. If I was going to buy an anime magazine, it'd be Otaku USA.

Has decent columnists writing in it.

edit:

fabricatedlunatic said:
I remember those Manga Mania/Max covers. Shortly before the transition from Mania to Max the publisher went through a period of using hideous live action models on the front covers, making them look like tawdry alternative wank mags. Crivens!
Christ almighty. :lol:

I buy it every month and really enjoy it.....and by enjoy it I of course mean enjoy ceremonially burning it while laughing hysterically, chanting "burn baby burn".

sanji no 1 said:
They are kind of backstabbers though. In a volume that came out a couple months ago, they did a whole 4 or 5 pages going on about how good High school of the dead is, and when it got to the review, they have it 3 stars! By the way they were talking i expected a 4 or 5. Same with The Sacred Blacksmith.
You must be the kind of person that thinks an above average rating is somehow a low one.

I currently read it, mainly for the reviews and Jonathan Clements. I know that they have had non-MangaUK titles on the cover (I remember them doing Gurren Lagann, which is a Beez title). They might cover Arrietty when it gets released in November, which would no doubt be a Optimum release.

However, they do seem to be dominated by MangaUK. Not surprising when you consider that MangaUK almost monopolies the anime market in this country.

I bought an issue once. In general it was unremarkable, but when I read the article they ran on Ayumi Hamasaki where they pretty much just slagged her off for a page, I knew this was little more than a rag.

Back