Naruto heading for UK TV?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
A news post on the Anime News Service is stating that the popular ninja anime Naruto could be heading for UK TV sooner than anyone expected; "... Besides the USA, the animation's (Naruto) debut in the EU sphere also advances with telecasts planned for Britain and Italy. The broadcast licensing agreement includes these countries (and) final stages of production are underway there."

Since it was revealed that Naruto was licensed (by ShoPro Ent.) for US & Latin American TV broadcasts, many UK-based Naruto fans were desperately hoping this highly rated series would eventually make it onto UK TV screens too- these wishes appear to have been answered!

Without wanting to jump the gun, it will be very interesting to see how Naruto's potential success will shake up the UK TV channel's disappointing perception of 'broad appeal' anime. Of course, more on this exciting news as we hear it.

Very, very exciting developments for the UK community. I'm expecting it to appear on Toonami UK, but am trying to contain my enthusiasm until we hear an official announcement from them.

Provided Naruto reaches these shores relatively unscathed, this could mean a lot for the UK. Inuyasha was the show that kick started CN's interest with anime in the US and now I'm hoping Naruto will do the same for the UK. This could be the catalyst for something big.

While I dont really have much of a desire to see Naruto myself. I think that given its massive popularity this can really bring anime into a more mainstream light on TV , plus getting people more interested in anime in general. This is of course a great thing!

Excellent! i've only seen the first episode so i'm looking forward to it being on TV. maybe it will start an aimation revolution...well, we can hope, can't we? a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. or something.

You guys cant be serious. C'mon think this through. If naruto is license it means that we cant freely download fan-subs. This means that after being up to date with the series (123 anime episodes and running) we will ahve to start back at episode one. On top of this there will be a lot of editing, as there are quite a lot of bloodshed in naruto,(SPOILER COMING UP!!!) also we have the eechi scenes where kohonomaru rubbs his face into the 5th breats. In my oppinion naruto being licensed by Proshop may just ruin the anime seires for many serious dedicated naruto fans.

Gayle said:
You guys cant be serious. C'mon think this through. If naruto is license it means that we cant freely download fan-subs. This means that after being up to date with the series (123 anime episodes and running) we will ahve to start back at episode one. On top of this there will be a lot of editing, as there are quite a lot of bloodshed in naruto,(SPOILER COMING UP!!!) also we have the eechi scenes where kohonomaru rubbs his face into the 5th breats. In my oppinion naruto being licensed by Proshop may just ruin the anime seires for many serious dedicated naruto fans.

Well Naruto already is licence so theres not much we can do about that but i would be better haveing it over here then not haveing it over here at all.

And for those of us who don't download fansubs, this is finally a chance to see it. I for one am looking forward to ir, and to the chance that this means more anime on TV.

Gayle said:

The thing is Gayle, we weren't supposed to be watching Naruto fansubs in the first place. People won't have much sympathy since watching fansubs is technically illegal anyway (don't get me wrong, I regularly watch fansubs too and recognise them as a key factor in the worldwide success of anime).

Naruto has to make money to continue running and by it being licensed for TV broadcast all over the world, it's doing just that. As fun as it is to watch the fansubs each week, it can now reach a larger audience than ever before. I wouldn't worry too much about it being censored either, ShoPro/Viz aren't known for being as horrible as 4Kids and when you keep in mind Toonami US are going to be broadcasting Naruto at around 8pm- so many edits shouldn't be needed.

it would be kool if this series was comming to the UK
BUT, then the dub would be obviously ugly, and the super kol opening intro's and outro's would be ruined and made by a simple ugly music vid (like the dbz currently airing, or unless they be brave and put it on air in its original form *exept for the dub od course, that would be in english*, then newcomers wouldnt be put off by the bad OP's and ED's.
it would be great, but me personally the only annoying thing im expecting to see is the newcomers getting so happy about it, and i will be like ¬_¬ "prrfft" u r soooooo LATE!!!!
but i suppose it would be .......ok....

I've seen a dubbed version and i dont think its been done that well. the show is slow and made for a japanese audience.

drscachet said:
I've seen a dubbed version and i dont think its been done that well. the show is slow and made for a japanese audience.
Where'd you see that? There's been a lot of discussion (on other forums) about where the show's being dubbed and by which studio, and I'd be really interested to hear/see dub clips if they're around.

As for "the show is slow", you could say that about a lot of anime - look at Mamoru Oshii's Ghost In The Shell, for instance. It's been a huge success outside of Japan, and it's about as slow as you can get in a 90-minute movie, plot-wise. Even Kino's Journey has been well-recieved (critically at least, if not by the general public), and it's a slow burner too.

And all anime is made for a Japanese audience.

i think i know the one you have seen, is it the the half of episode 1? cos i have seen one dubbed version of that ep.
i just done like they way some studios get an exxxellent anime, then spoil it horribly with the dubs, and op/ed's.
(just to say it again, i would prefer, it wasnt licensed in the UK or in the US and just remained a japan only franchise, but it is inevitable-_- unfortuantely. (i hope you other anime fans understand wot i mean.....??? , u know, only on fansub downloads so that mere fools cant harness the POWER OF Naruto !!!!!!! (Evil laugh in the background............¬_¬ )
but the only thing im loking forward to is the DVD's that are gona come out in the US of Naruto, and hopefully it would bein its original form without being edited or anything.
i hope ADV does the DVD's for Naruto because they doa craking job! with the nice DVD cases and art boxes!

You all make it sound like the coming of the anime Messiah :lol:

I have no desire to watch Naruto (don't have SKY anymore, anyway!) but if it's done well, I reckon it could pull in a few new anime fans :D It is good news for UK anime and that is the most important factor!!

Ninja Boy! said:
(just to say it again, i would prefer, it wasnt licensed in the UK or in the US and just remained a japan only franchise, but it is inevitable-_- unfortuantely. (i hope you other anime fans understand wot i mean.....??? , u know, only on fansub downloads so that mere fools cant harness the POWER OF Naruto !!!!!!! (Evil laugh in the background............¬_¬ )
Are you stupid, or just selfish? The notion that an anime series that's as profitable as Naruto remaining unlicensed is beyond comprehension. Personally, I'm glad it's gotten licensed, because it's a good thing for the industry. I'm growing increasingly frustrated by the fansub crowd complaining that they can't download it anymore, too - if it's really the be-all-and-end-all series these eejits claim it is, then surely it's worth paying for?

but the only thing im loking forward to is the DVD's that are gona come out in the US of Naruto, and hopefully it would bein its original form without being edited or anything.
i hope ADV does the DVD's for Naruto because they doa craking job! with the nice DVD cases and art boxes!
ADV will not be doing the DVDs. I'd be 99% certain that Viz will be releasing the home video version of Naruto, which should be a good thing. InuYasha's DVDs are uncut versions compared to the edited TV episodes, and I don't see why Viz would piss off the existing Naruto fanbase (they must know it exists, even if they don't acknowledge it) by lobotomizing the DVD release. I'd expect the version shown on Toonami in the US to get through fairly unscathed as well, although whether additional edits will have to be made for the UK (given the BBFC stance on "exotic weapons") remains to be seen.

Back