MyM Magazine

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
Yesterday MyM magazine was launched.

I thought it was worth a mention as it features its fair share of anime and manga reviews, as well as games, movies, etc.

There is also the issue of the people who have written for it, because a few AUKN regulars are writing for it. I for example am the magazine's, "Manga expert". I believe christor is also writing for it.

I picked it up on Wednesday (WH Smiths must have had it in early)

Quite like it so far. Thought i'd got the wrong magazine first until I turned the cover round (some woman had some guys head on a belt?).

Was good though.

There is also the issue of the people who have written for it, because a few AUKN regulars are writing for it. I for example am the magazine's, "Manga expert". I believe christor is also writing for it.

Indeed I am good sir, the Bleach article is mine. Page 26-7 :D

I have yet to pick up my copy. I do intend to though; I've been talking to the person who runs the Twitter occasionally and they've been really nice (although we did have a bit of a Ritsu vs Mio debate, before settling on that they're best as a pair xD).

Cathe said:
Thought i'd got the wrong magazine first until I turned the cover round (some woman had some guys head on a belt?).
Sounds like the review of Lollipop Chainsaw I read. It does at least have KoreZom and HSotD DLC.

I got my copy today - my 100 words on Pocky was published in the YourMagazine bit! (I was challenged to write it by the guy who runs the Facebook).

I read the magazine as soon as I could sit down and I really like it. I noticed one error though - in the release dates section, it lists Pokémon Conquest as out on 18th June - that's the American release date; the EU one hasn't been announced it. Nothing big though.

Shiroi Hane said:
Cathe said:
Thought i'd got the wrong magazine first until I turned the cover round (some woman had some guys head on a belt?).
Sounds like the review of Lollipop Chainsaw I read. It does at least have KoreZom and HSotD DLC.
Plus, you know, they're so proud of their vaginas.

Question to the contributors: Is it permitted for the submitted articles to expatiate about series that have yet to be released in any fashion within these shores, or must the periodical make no mention of such things?

Joshawott said:
I read the magazine as soon as I could sit down and I really like it. I noticed one error though - in the release dates section, it lists Pokémon Conquest as out on 18th June - that's the American release date; the EU one hasn't been announced it. Nothing big though.
They've also got Akai Katana down as a PS3-only game on the release page, then down as a 360-only game (which it is) on the preview.

...and then a nice big bold font title of Saint Seiya: Sancruary Battle on page 50. Sancruary?

I like the magazine, but sloppy typos and misinformation don't give a very good first impression...I could get that for free, on some teenager's blog. Or Manga's Twitter.

Zin5ki said:
Question to the contributors: Is it permitted for the submitted articles to expatiate about series that have yet to be released in any fashion within these shores, or must the periodical make no mention of such things?

I'm think you'd have to take that issue up with the editor.

Ok so with my girlfriend and my newborn not coming home from hopsital until tomorrpw i finally brought this today. Have to say with this first issue they are already doing a better job than neo is currently. There is more wordage here than neo puts in one of theirs. Good start!

Yo ho ho. It's the Scuttlebutt here to bring you all the best and juiciest uh, scuttlebutt (geddit?) on the MyM vs NEO battle of the century.

Word went past your trusty Scuttlebutt that Tarik Alozdi, the man behind MyM used to work for Uncooked Media, the publishers of NEO.

Not only did he work for them, he even became a Director of the company for a while, until the other directors gave him a one way ticket to Splitzville. Word is that they did not part on the best of terms and that Alozdi has a score or two to settle.

Rumour has gone past the Scuttlebutt that a certain someone who shall remain nameless allegedly took a copy of the NEO subscriber list on the way out the door, and that list was allegedly used as a direct marketing source for sending some of the MyM Zero copies. The Uncooked Media bods were understandably less than pleased when hints of that rumour, and questions about NEO not protecting subscriber data in potential breach of the Data Protection Act appeared on the NEO forum.

Industry watchers, including your lovable Scuttlebutt were of course keen as the trade winds to get their hands on the first issue of MyM to see just how close it was to NEO and just how much Alozdi wants to piss on Uncooked Media's chips.

Comments about the mags being so similar that MyM even has adverts from the same companies that NEO does, including that one which sells T-Shirts with the blatant copy of the Coco Pops monkey (they even call it Coco) in manga character outfits, have been going around like fire up a ship's rigging the last few days. One sly old sea dog even mentioned that with a spelling error on page one of the mag (they meant Flugelhorn) the editor of MyM could have a bright future working for the Grauniad if MyM loses to it's older rival.

Speaking of the older rival, La Cox the editor of NEO and the woman behind the NEO Staff account on the NEO forum posted a stinging remark about MyM not having an editor on her magazine's forum yesterday, before editing the barb out and then removing the post altogether. The post reappeared in a further edited form later in the day laden with remarks from the delectable madame that some are referring to as "thinking denial is a river in Egypt" for trying to claim that NEO and Uncooked Media do not think that MyM is a competitor.

Word has also gone past yours truly that it is remarkable that nothing has yet been said in public by the Empress of Egy... NEO about Matt Kamen jumping overboard from the NEO ship and being picked up by MyM.

So, now that both mags are on the stands the fight is of course on and all us industry watchers are gathered around for what promises to be a truly spectacular sea battle over the coming months. Best of luck to both sides, and may the best crew emerge triumphant.

Some handy links:
http://www.otakunews.com/uk/article.php?story=1909

http://www.geeknative.com/25822/myms-ta ... comic-con/

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/tarik-alozdi/43/114/545

http://www.neomag.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8777

http://www.mymags.net/

http://www.neomag.co.uk/

Ahaha, seriously? That's not just some cross-brand marketing angle, right?

Kind of surprised that someone would work at NEO and then go on to run a similar magazine, I guess it really must be more successful than we assume!

wow, that did make me lol. Like Ilmae I'm much surprised that Neo's place in the market is valuable enough to actually battle over. Nonetheless more choice for print loving anime fans is always a good thing, and if it really is as bitter a rivalry as Scuttlebutt makes it sound then that too is probably a good thing. who knows, it might even encourage NEO to actually start writing some decent articles.

I'll have to have a gander at this new mag.

vashdaman said:
I'll have to have a gander at this new mag.

Don't have a gander - buy it! Christor and I are trying to make a living with this. We need people to actually buy the magazine, not just read it.

Sure, I'll buy the first one to sample it, but after that I'll only buy if I actually enjoy reading it- i.e. it's at least a fair bit better in regards to it's writing and articles than NEO is.

Since you guys are staff members, try and influence the editor (that's if there is one) to aim the magazine at slightly more mature and well read audience than NEO.

Scuttlebutt said:
Yo ho ho, etc.
Are we supposed to know who you are? Some interesting information there certainly, albeit presented in the manner of a tabloid gossip column.

http://www.neomag.co.uk/forum/showthrea ... 777&page=9

lol

To be fair though, I think it's a little unfair that people on NEO were calling scuttlebug a troll when it seems like he does have a fair point or two, albeit put forward in a provocative manner. Though it's not much different to when anyone on the net is called a troll is it, don't agree with you point of view often seems to = troll.

Back