MVM May DVD cover-art

I like the Read Or Die TV cover :D , but then ive liked it ever since seeing the R1 one. Fairly indiffernt on the Trigun one , its not a series im interested in. Unfortunately , ugh...the more I see of the FMA charecter designs the more im put off the idea of buying the series.

I saw some Read or Die TV on fansub at a friends just over a year ago and I didn't like it. I guess the success of ROD the OVA is why this one has had a UK release so quickly but it doesn't compare in any way, it went from very exciting episodes filled with wonderful characters, to something very boring and they tried to make up for it by sticking loads of pretty girls into the story. There's just no comparison :(

Miaka-chan said:
I saw some Read or Die TV on fansub at a friends just over a year ago and I didn't like it. I guess the success of ROD the OVA is why this one has had a UK release so quickly but it doesn't compare in any way, it went from very exciting episodes filled with wonderful characters, to something very boring and they tried to make up for it by sticking loads of pretty girls into the story. There's just no comparison :(

I would have to disagree 1000%. :mrgreen:

I've watched about 5-7 episodes so far and I love the show. I thought it's really well done.

The early episodes aren't action-centric like the OAV's are. They're more about setting up the characters, and on the whole I thought those episodes were done really well. Afterwards, things start picking up in the action department.

The thing to bear in mind is that the series is taking a lot of its style from the OAV's, but they're still going a different route.

Anyway, I like what I've seen so far. :)

Well, if we all liked the same thing, that would be boring!! I didn't like any of the characters, or the designs. Sometimes OVAs outweigh the TV series and sometimes it's the other way around but for me I'll stick with the OVA!!

I'm really looking forward to getting Fullmetal Alchemist although i'm not really impressed by that cover art, i think something more ensemble would have been better. The R.O.D cover art looks nice although i've heard some mix reviews to back up what has been said here so i'm not sure whether i want to get that or not

Thing is, if they used different cover art people would moan saying "OMG FUNi isnt using the japanese cover art!! They suck!!"

I'm not particularly fond of the FMA cover-art either. A bit too bland for my tastes; Ed looks like He-man or something. Rest assured though, if you like good anime, you will like FMA.

With regards to Read or Die TV, the whole look of the show puts me off. I'm not into cute, fan-servicey shows and this looks like another Kiddy Grade or Chrono Crusade. The OVA mini-series was great though, so I'll check out the first volume anyway.

Fan service? ROD the TV* knows not the word!! (aside from the pencil boards in the R1 release that is :p) Oh and it is NOT cute either. Especially after the half way point :(

It is the best anime TV series ive seen, seriously (they could change after watching FMA though)

*thats its name, its not Read Or Die.

IanC said:
Fan service? ROD the TV* knows not the word!! (aside from the pencil boards in the R1 release that is :p) Oh and it is NOT cute either. Especially after the half way point :(

It is the best anime TV series ive seen, seriously (they could change after watching FMA though)

*thats its name, its not Read Or Die.

Yeah I generally feel the same way. Although I have heard that there's one episode that's pretty explicit mid way through the series. Can't say I've seen it.

THEManime.org said:
Recommended Audience: It was pretty okay until there was an episode which suddenly had frontal nudity in a scene, although this was not used as fan service nor was it used as a joke. It felt like it was more matter-of-fact, but this would probably be objectionable to some audiences. There's also some graphic violence and blood. For teens and up.

In general, I really like the characters so far. Especially Anita. Typically the youngest member of the group is the least interesting one, but the plot development for her has been really interesting

I'm with IanC on the R.O.D issue. The pencil boards contain more fanservice than the whole show, and the one case of nudity is, as mentioned, more "just there" than anything else.

Then again, I really enjoyed the slow action-less episodes near the start of the series, so what do I know?

im looking forward to getting R.OD. iv been keen on importing the R1 version for some time, but since i heard the R2 release, im looking forward to it. but i just love the extra's you get on the R1 versionm like the book shaped box, so that only the discs will go in it, and in the last volume (7) it comes with a normall art box and a figurine...i just hope the UK gets more kool stuff like this.....

Paul said:
I'm not particularly fond of the FMA cover-art either. A bit too bland for my tastes; Ed looks like He-man or something.
This is a much better "shirtless" version of Ed :wink: I agree, he does look like a miniature He-Man on that front cover!! It is a very offputting picture, as he's much cuter than that :(

Regarding ROD TV, I have seen the first 4 or 5 episodes but it was enough for me to know I didn't want to watch anymore. Maybe if I hadn't seen the OVA 3 years ago, I might I given the TV series more of a chance but it's too full of pretty girl for me, unless there are some really dishy guys I was unaware of??!!

Without wanting to gloat too much, guess what review discs turned up today? :) If you have any questions about these releases, shoot, I won't be reviewing them for a few weeks yet.

Miaka-chan said:
This is a much better "shirtless" version of Ed :wink: I agree, he does look like a miniature He-Man on that front cover!! It is a very offputting picture, as he's much cuter than that :(

That would have been much better cover art :wink:

Hmm , im still torn between which one of these shows to buy ( I cant afford both ) . ROD or FMA , ROD or FMA :?:

Back