MVM are releasing Amnesia in July!

I saw that on twitter and assumed they were referring to Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, but the competition page is definitely talking about something else. I know nothing about whatever this series is, but if it's going to be on BD then I'm interested.

What an unusual way to announce a license.

It's a weird series based on a very popular otome game. I thoroughly enjoyed it (and already have the US BD) but it's probably not for everyone. It's unlikely to change anyone's mind if they didn't like otome game adaptations in the first place.

Phenomenal theme songs, though.

My respect to MVM for continuing to give fans outside the stereotypical UK demographic stuff to buy.

R

Yeah, have to admit it is nice that MVM are supporting this sector of fandom, especially as I don't think their release of Hakuoki did that well. It's good to see those fans catered to though.

I wholeheartedly approve of MVM releasing more shojo shows, but I wouldn't even pay DOTW prices for this particular piece of crap. Can we have UtaPri instead? Interesting to note that they're doing BluRay for it as well, because they didn't with Hakuouki.

st_owly said:
I wholeheartedly approve of MVM releasing more shojo shows, but I wouldn't even pay DOTW prices for this particular piece of crap. Can we have UtaPri instead? Interesting to note that they're doing BluRay for it as well, because they didn't with Hakuouki.

Sentai didn't do Blu-ray for Hakuoki till the final season, right? So no Blu-rays for MVM to do.

ISTR it took a while for the series to go to BD in Japan too so they probably only negotiated DVD rights at first. Then when the BDs came out it would probably require a new contract setting up, which would depend on how well the DVD version did.

R

Sentai have also said that some of their BDs were only possible because of co-operation with other countries (i.e. us and down under), which is one of the reasons they sometimes go back and re-release something on BD when it was DVD-only originally.

Rui said:
ISTR it took a while for the series to go to BD in Japan too
Yup. The classic "girls don't buy BDs" line of thinking that gave us DVD only releases of Durarara!! and Otome Youkai Zakuro around the same time. 2010 seems like so long ago at this point.

ilmaestro said:
Yup. The classic "girls don't buy BDs" line of thinking that gave us DVD only releases of Durarara!! and Otome Youkai Zakuro around the same time. 2010 seems like so long ago at this point.
I had never even considered those two girls shows. I've bought two shows well within the BD-era that were DVD-only at first release - Kara no Kyoukai and Dennou Coil.

They are not "girls shows" per se, but they are shows that projected to have a higher than usual percentage of female buyers.

Dennou Coil and KnK were both years before these three shows, it's not as surprising that they were DVD only at first.

ilmaestro said:
Dennou Coil and KnK were both years before these three shows, it's not as surprising that they were DVD only at first.
Dennou Coil was broadcast in HD, so it was disappointing to find that the DVDs were noticeably worse than the fansubs.

black1blade said:
The reason KNK is DVD only because they want people buying the aniplex version.
I have the Japanese DVDs, which were released a few years before the BDs.

Shiroi Hane said:
ilmaestro said:
Dennou Coil was broadcast in HD, so it was disappointing to find that the DVDs were noticeably worse than the fansubs.
And it didn't sell well originally iirc. Interesting to wonder if enough people held off because of the SD release to have made it worth them moving over to BD that early. I have to suspect not since it was only Gundam 00 level shows that were seeing BD releases that early, but it was definitely a shame for shows like that that came out around that watershed time.

Back