MVM *ahem* cutting costs...

Espy

Thousand Master
Last week I ordered the three Urusei Yatsura movies MVM had for 99p each. I decided against it a few hours later and requested a cancellation. However, my request was ignored and the order remained static for a week, until yesterday when it was finally dispatched. I thought "Oh well then, they're only 99p each", so I decided to keep them when they arrived today.
I unsealed them all to check for dislocated discs. The first one I opened had an MVM questionaire card. Then I opened the second, and I recieved an ADV card, which was strange as I thought the DVDs were published by MVM. Then I noticed the last movie had a different case than the others, black instead of clear. I opened it, and found inside... a Playboy questionaire card. I suddenly realised what MVM had done, and why my order took a week. They had hastily put the guts of the DVDs into random boxes they had lying around, one of which was a Playboy box. I'm pretty annoyed by this, and I'm going to complain to MVM. My little brother likes this series and I wouldn't want him to ask "What's Playboy?" Who knows, they may have left even more in the case!

I noticed that all of my Serial Experiment Lain DVD's (ordered from Anime-On-Line) arrived with different cases, 2 being black, some having something on the back of the cover inlays and some not, some sealed and some not. I paid £4.99 for 3 of them, too.

i wouldnt complain too much over £2.97 although i guess its the principle.

1 thing i did notice though is that u can buy tenchi muyo vol.1-3 for £14.97 but the boxset is £45 and the only difference in content seems to be is that the boxset contains the rubbish non-canonicle(arguebly) mihoshi special... is this right or am i missing something?

True, it isn't a major problem, but I'd rather let MVM know that their cheap tactics have resulted in a screwup. Like I said, my little brother is the main reason I bought the (PG-rated) series, and he could have easily unsealed the DVDs before me. Who knows what else they might have left in there!

skikes said:

1 thing i did notice though is that u can buy tenchi muyo vol.1-3 for £14.97 but the boxset is £45 and the only difference in content seems to be is that the boxset contains the rubbish non-canonicle(arguebly) mihoshi special... is this right or am i missing something?

The mihoshi special wasn't something done by Kajishima but it the episode was done by Hasegawa who was the writer on the first ova. The mihoshi special is just a big exageration by herself and you could argue over whether or not its canon.

The box set was worth it when it first came out because MVM priced these titles at £11-14 each(play still have them listed at £16.99 so the boxset was a bargain), so you were actually saving money. The Mihoshi special is only available in the UK on this boxset though, it was sold in the states with the Pretty Sammy DVDs.

Under £15 is a bloody bargain though, i'll be buying that.

It is highly probable that this is stock that has been returned either because the original cases were damaged or the cases were damaged when they were returned.

Nyu said:
skikes said:

The mihoshi special wasn't something done by Kajishima but it the episode was done by Hasegawa who was the writer on the first ova. The mihoshi special is just a big exageration by herself and you could argue over whether or not its canon.

The box set was worth it when it first came out because MVM priced these titles at £11-14 each(play still have them listed at £16.99 so the boxset was a bargain), so you were actually saving money. The Mihoshi special is only available in the UK on this boxset though, it was sold in the states with the Pretty Sammy DVDs.

i'm aware of all that... im a HUGE tenchi fan(i dont think theres anything about tenchi i dont know) and i do actually consider the mihoshi part of the muyo canon and it all is just one of mihoshi's stories... i just find it hard to believe that they would charge £30 for just the mihoshi special... i've been meaning to pick up these dvds for awhile now and at this price now i have no excuse... i think ill just be burning the mihoshi special to disc :D

skikes said:
Nyu said:
skikes said:

i'm aware of all that... im a HUGE tenchi fan(i dont think theres anything about tenchi i dont know) and i do actually consider the mihoshi part of the muyo canon and it all is just one of mihoshi's stories... i just find it hard to believe that they would charge £30 for just the mihoshi special... i've been meaning to pick up these dvds for awhile now and at this price now i have no excuse... i think ill just be burning the mihoshi special to disc :D

Good to have you among the Tenchi ranks. Funilly enough i found this site through Tenchi, i was buying the boxset from amazon then googled MVM.

As i've said at under £15 thats a bargain, considering the price at play for ONE volume is £16.99. I already have the boxset but i'm contemplating picking these dvds up. These will be the last ones as MVM's license ran out in July.

Espy said:
I opened it, and found inside... a Playboy questionaire card.
Oh! I got one of those as well in an Urusei Yatsura release a little while ago (from the Clearence sale a few months ago). Maybe they got a bunch of cheap return cases from a supplier who don't check their stuff before sending...

Well, I recieved an almost angry response. Turns out it was a slip-up of the DVD manufacturer. If they explained that without words in all capitals, I would have been happy to "forgive" them and tell you all.

We DO NOT put the dvd's in ourselves. This all happens at the manufacturers where our dvd's are cased in, however our's are not the only ones they do. I imagine that there has obviously been a slip up, expecially if you have recieved a 'playboy' card. The reason your order took longer than expected was because of the overwhelming success we needed to reorder more stock.

No "yours sincerely" or anything. Great CS. Am I the only one that reads that as if I'm getting told off? Yeah, I shouldn't have assumed that it was their fault, but they could have explained things in a friendlier way.

Though I still don't know why they ignored my cancellation request. You'd think they'd be happy to if they were running out of stock.

Espy said:
Well, I recieved an almost angry response. Turns out it was a slip-up of the DVD manufacturer. If they explained that without words in all capitals, I would have been happy to "forgive" them and tell you all.

We DO NOT put the dvd's in ourselves. This all happens at the manufacturers where our dvd's are cased in, however our's are not the only ones they do. I imagine that there has obviously been a slip up, expecially if you have recieved a 'playboy' card. The reason your order took longer than expected was because of the overwhelming success we needed to reorder more stock.

No "yours sincerely" or anything. Great CS. Am I the only one that reads that as if I'm getting told off? Yeah, I shouldn't have assumed that it was their fault, but they could have explained things in a friendlier way.

Though I still don't know why they ignored my cancellation request. You'd think they'd be happy to if they were running out of stock.

I wouldn't take it personally probably had a lot of email complaining of the same thing.
Though you really should of aimed for money of vouchers while you were at it.

I remember when I asked MVM why there was such a long delay between the Haibane Renmei volumes during the time between volume 3 and 4 and I got quite a stroppy response from them. More than the response you got anyway.

I can understand why you emailed them about it though. Sure it was just a card but like you said it could have been more.

I emailed Anime-On-Line after my first order arrived unsealed and in a black amaray case. The response said it wasn't down to them, going on to say they'd sent out a "replacement" without even asking for the original copy to be returned.

All my orders outside of Serial Experiment Lain stuff have been fine.

I still think they could have at least said "sorry for the inconvenience" instead of "IT'S NOT OUR FAULT, GO AWAY!" They licensed, ordered and sold the product. They should look into their obviously dodgy DVD manufacturing company.

Back