Moriarty the Patriot Volume 2 Review

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
The first encounter between Professor Moriarty and a certain consulting detective takes place! But does the second volume of Ryosuke Takeuchi’s portrayal of the rivalry between two great minds bring a fresh new perspective to Conan Doyle’s characters?

Continue reading...

Just finished this volume myself since it got put in the SJ vault. I'm sort of surprised by the MI6 stuff being left out of the anime and I wonder if we'll see it pop up in the second cour or if its been deliberately put aside for good (which I'm not sure I'd mind...). If nothing else it has been interesting reading the manga just to see what is different between it and the anime.

I also agree re: the translation for Sherlock being grating. I'm hoping it gets toned down a bit going forward, even if that would prove inconsistent overall. 😅

Just finished this volume myself since it got put in the SJ vault. I'm sort of surprised by the MI6 stuff being left out of the anime and I wonder if we'll see it pop up in the second cour or if its been deliberately put aside for good (which I'm not sure I'd mind...). If nothing else it has been interesting reading the manga just to see what is different between it and the anime.

I also agree re: the translation for Sherlock being grating. I'm hoping it gets toned down a bit going forward, even if that would prove inconsistent overall. 😅
The anime has skipped a whole arc with Colonel Moran which makes much greater use of the MI6/Bond ambiance allusions in Volume 4, picking up instead at Volume 5. I can see why they've done it (but it's a shame as Moran is a charismatic character!).

The anime has skipped a whole arc with Colonel Moran which makes much greater use of the MI6/Bond ambiance allusions in Volume 4, picking up instead at Volume 5. I can see why they've done it (but it's a shame as Moran is a charismatic character!).

That is a shame and explains why Moran feels like such an underdeveloped character in the anime, at least so far.

The anime does miss out quite dignificant arcs (I understand why because they wanted to introduce Sherlock sooner) but I believe these are quite central to the story and character development.

MI6 arc - obviously how it was created and how Albert became M, also intro to Mycroft Holmes as the Intelligence Chief

Baskerville arc - development of Fred and Louis

Moran arc - Moran character development plus intro to 2 MI6 personnel. More from Mycroft Holmes

Again, I absolutely agree @Gemsy-chan; the character development that they've omitted or skated over is quite a significant loss in terms of what's coming next and why. (I'm hoping Mycroft will get more time in the spotlight but...)

Back