Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Part 1 Review

This review matches my thoughts on Wing after my rewatch attempt. Just meh and the paralels to 0079 are off putting and really poorly imitated (until Gundam Seed came and did it worse).

But I will always appreciate the nostalgia and it being the show that got me into Gundam when it aired after Dragonball Z. Plus Endless Waltz entirely makes up for the show.

Most gundams has parallels to 0079. The only one that doesn't is 00 cos its trying to be "Real" and sucks for that reason and IBO then again I view both of those serious space dramas so shouldn't have been gundams. Gundam even as it does have war it skipped all the nasty part of the one year war only Z is dark and Tomino tried to reverse immediately.

Also comparing Wing to NGE is unfair because they different types of shows. NGE isnt a mecha show imo it was once but it wasn't by the end. Wing is 90s shonen fun. They did after war that failed after this and G was one of the campest anime ive seen (and weirdly racist as its all stereotypes) the 90s was weird for Gundam because they basically tried it all. Wing was the most mainstream so people just **** on it. 0079 the TV has aged really badly nobody cares though, Wing near universally hated.

Most gundams has parallels to 0079. The only one that doesn't is 00 cos its trying to be "Real" and sucks for that reason and IBO then again I view both of those serious space dramas so shouldn't have been gundams. Gundam even as it does have war it skipped all the nasty part of the one year war only Z is dark and Tomino tried to reverse immediately.

Also comparing Wing to NGE is unfair because they different types of shows. NGE isnt a mecha show imo it was once but it wasn't by the end. Wing is 90s shonen fun. They did after war that failed after this and G was one of the campest anime ive seen (and weirdly racist as its all stereotypes) the 90s was weird for Gundam because they basically tried it all. Wing was the most mainstream so people just **** on it. 0079 the TV has aged really badly nobody cares though, Wing near universally hated.

Actually 0079 was never that good and flopped hard even during it's time, in fact it was almost cancelled outright but they managed to pull out 43 episodes. It was the films that became a rip roaring success.

Wing is just ****. With protagonist emo yui, his girlfriend suicidal Peacecraft and their enemies seemingly swapping sides (even at one point allying with a group they attacked the previous episode just cuz) I couldn't finish it. No it's not because it's mainstream, it's just bad but that doesn't mean it's wrong to not like it so I'm glad that you find enjoyment where I cannot.

Last edited:
I mean I despise 00 thats gots the worst MC. God I could write an essay on why I hate Setsuna. Yui is the weakest of the pilots imo I like Reelena though she's not sucidical she just naive and puts peace first, I mean I think she is a better female character than good old Sayla who is there then forgotten and back again now in Origin like we are supposed to care. (In hindsight i wish she wasn't Char's sister as they never have a proper scene which is a shame)
Wing isnt great no but I find it fun while the "Serious" new ones so 00 I dont like because its most of it being serious, IBO I do like but I dont feel its Gundam i feel it would have worked better as its own IP. AGE is **** but the second arc is great and the recap of that arc is great too shame its gets ignored because of the designs among other things.

Back