Minami-Con not the first in the UK?

butch-cassidy

Straw Hat Pirate
Forgive me for the title I want to get your attention :wink:

I was browsing 'www.animecons.com' and discovered a listing for a Con that took place in the UK two years prior to Minami-Cons first outing. Can anyone confirm what this was?

ContAnimeted
October 22-24, 1993 New Cobden Hotel
Birmingham, UK

Anime Con's is a very reliable site and require third party evidence before they publish. My guess is that it was an animation festival that has been misbranded as an anime con, but I am wondering if anyone has been with the way of the anime for long enough to remember the old days of 1993...

butch-cassidy said:
I am wondering if anyone has been with the way of the anime for long enough to remember the old days of 1993...

*raises hand*

Contanimate was a series of anime conventions run each autumn in Birmingham from 1992-1995.

Even earlier than that was Animeday which was held in Sheffield and ran every year in the spring from 1991-1994.

Minamicon took over the Spring slot from Animeday and has been run every year since. Other autumn conventions have included Ayacon and Amecon, but there hasn't always been one every year.

raises hand

"Even earlier than that was Animeday which was held in Sheffield and ran every year in the spring from 1991-1994." March 1991 Pt.1 ANIME DAY – The first Anime convention in the UK

UK's Anime Cons 1991 to 1995, details can be found here;

"Contanimate was a series of anime conventions run each autumn in Birmingham from 1992-1995." More detail are here; About

Back