Memoirs of a Geisha - STUNNING

Melainy

School Idol
Seriously peeps, you need to check this one out.

Mangaminx and I watched this the other day and were absolutely hooked from start to finish. The artistic direction is just fabulous with a superb leading actress you instantly want the best for, accompanied by twisted, malicious rivals you love to hate. This is the sort of film that just makes you feel everything!

It's a tough watch - it's a pretty intense drama. It'll have you bawling your eyes out at certain points and it's nowhere near action-heavy, but my gosh is it a good film. A must-see for any Japanaholics ;)

Saw it when it came out at the cinemas with my girlfriend, loved it it was amazing, the whole thing was just stunning and very well acted

i've been meaning to see this..i just need to get it next time i get he chance..always looked good when i saw adverts and clips from it. so i'm hoping it will be worth it for me

How does it compare with the novel? I had mixed feelings about the story itself but the film looks great visually, and Ken Watanabe is a brilliant actor.

Martin said:
How does it compare with the novel? I had mixed feelings about the story itself but the film looks great visually, and Ken Watanabe is a brilliant actor.

I haven't actually read the novel! I'm certainly planning to now that I've seen the film, but from what I've heard from other people the film seems to top it. I loved the story in the film - it's very epic.

Yet another DVD thats on my list to watch, will probabgly see it in a few weeks with my gf when she moves in as she has been dying to see this

Martin said:
I had mixed feelings about the story itself but the film looks great visually, and Ken Watanabe is a brilliant actor.
Ditto. The moral is apparently "strange middle-aged men will elevate you from a life of adolescent poverty to the wonderful world of prostitution and groom you into being their mistress 15 years from now". How very Romantic...

Visually of course, it's brilliant, though we're all supposed to grumble under our breaths about the Chinese A-listers taking the main parts. Not that hollywood hasn't interchanged the caucasian nationalities a thousand and one times already. Sean Connery. Russian Submarine captain. I rest my case.

Back