Media of the year 2022

Aeon

Student Council President
Well, the big day is almost upon us when Santa breaks through our respective fireplace's while All Star from Smash Mouth plays, to celebrate, I thought it would be fun to make a thread where we say what our favourite media products were that came out this year.

This is different from the anime year review as here, any media can be covered including games, films, tv, music, books, comics, etc all in whatever style it is presented.

For me personally; it's a game, Elden Ring, this game is an absolute masterclass in level design, carried nigh on flawlessly to an open world, it is a game I gradually played throughout the year and not long ago, I finally beat it, I cannot recommend this game enough.

You can include as many things as you thought were the best of this year; it doesn't have to be just one thing.

Last edited:
I think I'll do some categories for my choices:

Music
Joint entry here Tekkno by Electric Callboy is a masterclass of pop infused electronicore. The catchy dancy choruses blend perfectly with the screamy metalcore sections to make an album that's super fun. Their music videos are also just a joy to behold.

Also Rise into Chaos by Broken By The Scream. This J-pop/djent/deathcore hybrid fronted by 4 supremely talented women (2 do clean vocals, 1 high screaming and 1 low growling) are backed by 3 incredibly talented dudes and the final product is one of the best metal albums I've ever heard. Had it on repeat for over a month now. Its so good.

Movie
Most of my cinema trips this year have been for Marvel stuff which I've all enjoyed but the best cinema experience I've had this year has to be Violent Night. David Harbours best work yet! It's equally hilarious and brutal and was just an absolute blast to go watch with mates.

TV
My favourite live action TV show this year was definitely Moonknight. The MCU shows have (on average) been a cut above the films in phase 4 and this has been my favourite of the shows. But a special shout out to Werewolf By Night which was incredible at adapting classic horror tropes/motifs for a modern audience.

Anime
I know it didn't originally come out this year but the blu ray did and it was my first time watching it but Vinland Saga left a big impression on me. It was brilliantly done and dint pull its punches in any sense. Just a great show.

Book
It was so nice to finally find out the end of the story to the Full Metal Panic! saga with the release of vol 4 of the lovely hardback omnibus editions by J-novel Club. I've been into the series for so long from the anime that it was great to finally get some closure for these characters I love.

Game
I'm not a huge ganer but for me it has to be Stray. Its an absolutely masterpiece of storytelling and was so fun to play. The world was so immersive and interesting. The characters were all incredible and engaging. The story brilliantly told. Loved it.

Game
I'm not a huge ganer but for me it has to be Stray. Its an absolutely masterpiece of storytelling and was so fun to play. The world was so immersive and interesting. The characters were all incredible and engaging. The story brilliantly told. Loved it.
Stray was a good one; I got to play it via PS Plus Premium and it was a great game that was very well paced; I so nearly beat it without dying only to fail that self imposed challenge during a chase scene very near the end.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I watched Vinland Saga around over a month ago and I literally binged it in 2 nights; I almost never get through anime that quickly but that one had me hooked.

Last edited:
Stray was a good one; I got to play it via PS Plus Premium and it was a great game that was very well paced; I so nearly beat it without dying only to fail that self imposed challenge during a chase scene very near the end.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I watched Vinland Saga around over a month ago and I literally binged it in 2 nights; I almost never get through anime that quickly but that one had me hooked.
Pretty sure I died in the first chase near the start lol. And died a whole bunch of times during the mad part in the sewers after you first get the gun! Big props for making it so far without dying!

Yeah Vinland really was excellently constructed. All the character dynamics were really well done and it was a visual treat!

One game I completely forgot about until earlier today (probably because it came out around the beginning of 2022) is Powerslave Exhumed, technically this is cheating a bit as it is a port of an ancient FPS for modern systems but the quality of this port is immaculate, I played it at 144FPS on PC, something that would not be possible had Nightdive studios not meticulously redone the game's code for modern systems; this was my first time playing the game and I don't think I could have gotten a better version.

The game itself is brilliant as well, it's like a mix of Doom and Metroid; mixing Egyptian mythology with Sci-fi, the levels are really well designed and the game rewards exploration; in fact it is required to get the good ending, oh and the music is really good as well; highly recommended.

My Top 10 Films of the year:

Aftersun
Athena
The Worst Person in the World
RRR
Benediction
All Quiet on the Western Front
Top Gun Maverick
The Banshees of Inisherin
The Northman
Kimi

I didn't include it in my original post as I was yet to play it at the time but now I can confidently say that God of War Ragnarok is easily one of the best games of 2022; Elden Ring's still the GOTY but this one is an easy runner up.

Back