MCM London May 2018 Announcements: Anime Limited Round-up (Part 1)

I have pretty good memories of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, certainly one of the better Gundam things released this side of G Gundam.

Not being a Gundam fan there really wasn't much for me this time around. A lot less interested in Amanchu! with how S2 has been going so far, too. ^^;

Although I probably won't pick it up I'm really happy to see Sound! return. I know how many people were upset when they lost that, so it's great to see it rescued - and so quickly!

I am absolutely thrilled to see Sound! relicensed, it definitely ranks amongst my favourite shows, and was very saddened to see it canceled the first time. I can only hope we get the Second Season and films eventually too!

oh sure they relicense Sound! after i brought the US Pony Canyon versions, though the Anime Limited version looks very nice tempting to get as well ;)

Just the Gundam stuff are must buys for me (where's Wing? ;_; and Turn A actually...), don't know much about the others but apparently they're both SoL which isn't really my thing (not for blind buys anyway but I may check em out streaming some time), Sound! also has Drama in it's genre, if it's more drama than SoL I may be more interested.

Interesting to see them license a Miyazaki documentary; while it is feature-length (70 minutes) it'd be strange to see something like that released standalone (though The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness was, I guess it must have done well for Studio Canal?). Maybe they're saving an announcement of Future Boy Conan for later in the weekend and it'll be a bonus disc :p

Hmmm...shall I still get the Funi Premium Edition of 00 and see what AL have up their sleeve or cancel the order before seeing what AL are doing with 00. I’m hoping for an ultimate edition on the same lines as Funi’s.

It's not really any different from a lot of other series you've enjoyed on your MAL. Don't judge a book by its cover!
Definitely has a lot more drama than a CGDCT show and they take the chosen topic a lot more seriously than those types of show with the practice and everything the characters go through in reaching for their goals.

Also
Moe Trumpet girls.
The MC plays the Euphonium 😜

Very pleased to see Gundam 00. Took me by surprise, I thought they might jump straight to Wing, rather than jump even further still. Either way, this will finally add another non-white-with-grey-specs Gundam release on my blu-ray shelf!

Not really interested in any of them but there is a typo in the description of the miyazaki documentary, it reads as "retire" when it should be spelt "making a new film" or at least that's what miyazaki thinks

Not really interested in any of them but there is a typo in the description of the miyazaki documentary, it reads as "retire" when it should be spelt "making a new film" or at least that's what miyazaki thinks
Yeah there was barely any info on the documentary until AL posted the round-up. I'll just update the article and use AL's description of it.

I have pretty good memories of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, certainly one of the better Gundam things released this side of G Gundam.
Memories? It's less than two years old Paul, don't make me feel even older...

00, along with ∀ are pretty much the only non-UC Gundam shows I'm really interested in getting, so I'm happy with this. Might give Amanchu a look, I like the funny faces gifs Grav keeps posting.

I'm not a Gundam or giant robot fan at all, so I'm not interested in any of the older Gumdam series, although I did seem to like the newer series from the past 2-3 years enough to buy those - IBO, Origin, and Thunderbolt. They just would be even better series if they had no giant robots in them.

I will probably end up getting the UK Sound Euphonium release, as I never bothered with the PonyCan releases. I'm a huge Moe and CGDCT hater as well, but I did watch the series anyway, and the story was much more drama than cutesy - so it's good enough for a purchase.

And, I'm definitely in for the Miyazaki documentary.

Last edited:
I'm not a Gundam or giant robot fan at all, so I'm not interested in any of the older Gumdam series, although I did seem to like the newer series from the past 2-3 years enough to buy those - IBO, Origin, and Thunderbolt. They just would be even better series if they had no giant robots in them.
Have you at least seen some of the older shows or films before? I can understand not liking them enough to buy them, but watching Origin without the rest of Char and Amuro’s story seems a bit like watching only the Star Wars prequels and then calling it a day.

I guess giant robots are pretty cool imo, if vaguely silly, but they’ve never been the main draw for me with Gundam. I appreciate characters and world building a lot more than I do action (which is why I can never get into most shonen shows). It’s the drama the action provides that I find myself enjoying more, and I’ve found plenty to like about the world and characters of the expansive UC. I’d say it’s definitely worth a look, even if just to see. If you’ve enjoyed Char in Origin then you’ll probably enjoy him in Zeta Gundam and Char’s Counterattack.

I think I liked Origin because there weren't any Gundam in it until near the end of Part IV... :p

I will never like giant robots, they just look to me like silly children's toys from back when I was growing up. Even as a kid, I thought robot toys were the most stupid thing a kid could play with, and I never wanted or owned a single one of them - or any other action figures, for that matter. Real boys don't play with dolls, lol.

Last edited:
Bah. Robots are a man’s toy and I’m a MAN! See you’d get that reference too if you watched Zeta. I should really dig out and dust off my original Optimus Prime at some point, I learned recently it’s probably worth quite a bit now...

If your distate for mecha is such that you find their very presence detracts from the story and characters, fair enough I guess. But I don't think they do. It's just like a show about police officers that has police cars in it, or a story about soldiers that has tanks or in it. They might be cool for those of us who like machines, but they're never really the main focus of the story.

Incidentally, where do you stand on Patlabor? That's pretty much "the mech show for people who don't like mech shows".

Back