MCM Expo Anime Panel Spring 2011 Discussion thread

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
20 mins left. If you're like me and didn't go, keep twitter open nao!!

If you don't have twitter, commence F5'ing.

[12] MVM - Haven't given up on anime. Still picking up new licenses, but less than previously. Source
[12] Manga/Kaze - Earthquake caused slowdown in recieving materials. Source
[12] MVM - No longer doing single volumes! Source
[12] Tiger and Bunny coming to DVD?!. Source
[12] ^released by Manga UK. Source
[12] Samurai Champloo re-licensed thru' 2016/18. Source
[12] Tower of Druaga sold exceptionally well. Source
[12] Ikki Tousen S2 licensed by MVM. Srsly? Source
[12] More licenses on the way, though. Source
[12] Summer Wars sold very well. Source
[12] Planning on releasing the rest of FMA: Brotherhood on BD somehow. Source
[12] ^Will cost a five-figure sum, though Source
[12] Manga interested in Panty & Stocking Source
[12] Manga licenses Freedom (Previously licensed by Beez, apparently) Source
[12] Will be released Oct 10th on 1-disc BD and 2-disc DVD Source
[12] Manga licenses Strike Witches. S1 October, S2 2012. Source
[12] Kaze have Jellyfish Princess Source
[12] Manga also have King of Thorn and Requiem of a Phantom Source

-Thanks to @theshillto and @ukanime for live tweeting!

Itll be interesting to see what the release for tiger and bunny is like,Iam guessing itll be something akin to manga and kazes release of the Layton movie.

I don't think Beez were there.

Unless there is more news forthcoming, I'm a little underwhelmed by this expo.

MVM's sole new licence is one that I'm not interested in, but it will no doubt sell like fanservice hotcakes for them.

Manga have King of Thorn (which they had already announced I'm sure), Requiem For the Phantom (more Beetrain, more assassins, a very Manga show, but nothing spectacular), they've licence rescued Freedom, and have Strike Witches, which I was hoping MVM would get.

The interesting announcements were from Kaze with regards to licencing physical media. Although given that they are releasing through Manga, that really does make them more Manga licences. The streaming model must be really thriving if Tiger and Bunny will be coming, although of their streaming releases, I'd have preferred Deadman Wonderland and Stein's;Gate. Tiger and Bunny will have great reach though, although we're stuck into waiting for the US licence and dub first so a good 18 months yet. Not seen Princess Jellyfish to comment.

As for the FMA BDs comment, sounds like a wishy washy non-commital promise. They're considering it, they want to release it, it would cost them. It's a hollow promise that hopes to fix the barn door after the FMA and Casshern horses have bolted. Please trust us, even after we've stiffed you.

MVM have Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny? [tony montana] I TOLD YOU, I TOLD YOU [/tony montana]

No brainer. The first series is still in print and still has a £30 RRP, so it must have done well for MVM. Too late for me, though, as I imported the R1 collection months ago.

Strike Witches? Interesting. Wonder what the BBFC will make of some of the fanservice in this post-Geass-boob-grab landscape.

And Kaze have Jellyfish Princess, which is the most interesting announcement there. I wonder if, assuming they plan a sub-only release, they can beat Funi to the punch.

Paradox295 said:
[12] Kaze have Jellyfish Princess Source

*does a little dance* Didn't think this would ever be licensed in the UK. Definite buy for me! Nice to see we're getting some josei.

As for FMA: Brotherhood, I'm waiting for sets rather than fork out for the singles for this series (well, I do the same for pretty much everything as sets are just much nicer), and if there is a Blu-ray box set, I'd certainly be tempted paying the extra for it.

I've heard Tiger & Bunny is rather good, but haven't gotten around to watching it (I've far too many DVDs to catch up with). So when it's released, I may take a look into it.

[12] Tower of Druaga sold exceptionally well.

:lol: It's like... why bother paying money to licence anything that isn't generic fantasy etc that people can easily recognize.

Was hoping to hear more news along the lines of releases that are actually the same time as the USA.

On that note, they also pointed out that Kaze has a good relationship with Fuji Television and its noitaminA time slot in particular - a hint perhaps of further releases from said slot in the future.
From the UKA site

What i find interesting there is that there is a few top notch shows with the likes of Fractale, Ano Hana and [C] broadcasted by noitaminA. Maybe we should expect some news regarding licenses in the future from Kaze for a few of NoitaminA's series? Im hoping for Ano Hana if that is the case

CloudedMinds said:
On that note, they also pointed out that Kaze has a good relationship with Fuji Television and its noitaminA time slot in particular - a hint perhaps of further releases from said slot in the future.
From the UKA site

What i find interesting there is that there is a few top notch shows with the likes of Fractale, Ano Hana and [C] broadcasted by noitaminA. Maybe we should expect some news regarding licenses in the future from Kaze for a few of NoitaminA's series? Im hoping for Ano Hana if that is the case
Kuragehime was the one that was most popular in the USA (of those streamed by FUNi), by quite some way.
Fractale bombed Japan side, so the licence might be cheap.
Much more interested in the older notanminA shows than the new ones, like Mononoke and Library Wars, not to mention Honey and Clover which Manga are supposed to have anyway.

I felt really outdated. There I am sitting with a pad and paper, everyone else is using Twitter on their phones. What else have I missed?....What? Video on plastic wheels you say? Madness!

Tiger & Bunny seems to be the big announcement of the day. All the more reason to finally watch it.

Shame to hear MVM don't intend to license as much. Their roster has always been pretty interesting.

Great news about Tiger and Bunny. Now, if Manga get Panty and Stocking, a lot of fans will be happy, I suspect!

BUT - the part that made me smile from ear to ear was news of FREEDOM being rescued. It's a decently entertaining little sci-fi potboiler, and really deserving of a wider release. I'll be snapping that up to replace my imported R1 copy, as the NTSC playback on my DVD player makes it look horrible in places.

Plus, any anime with an open Rush reference has to be cool, right?

You should probably edit the opening post, its misleading.
Manga aren't 'planning' to release FMA:B on Blu-ray.
They're running cost analyses on it see if there's a way to make it profitable whilst covering their initial 5 digit outlay.

Another thing to note is that Kaze and Manga seem to be doing joint research into means of cutting the costs of their BD releases.

I asked a few question's to Andrew while praising the Kuragehime license.

For Anime-on-Demand I asked if there is any chance that we can get any anime streamed that is UK exclusive (not available in the US), he said that it is possible to get a license for only UK, France and Germany. That brought a smile to my face.

Plus he has huge interest in Usagi Drop (aka Bunny Drop), so I would imagaine it would get a stream in the summer season. I would also add that Andrew wanted to get a stream for Anohana but something happened at Aniplex that wouldn't allow it.

I did ask for a future release for Madoka Magica but I know it's too early for that, i just wanted to put forward some interest. Either way the response was basically when it comes available we will look into it.

Nothing else to add but seeing Tiger and Bunny & Kuragehime licensed was my highlight.

Lawrence said:
I get the feeling someone likes noitaminA titles, no complaints there though, I expect that Bunny drop will be one of the better titles of the year.

Shame you asked about Madoka but didn't pester him about Kaiji though.
Though it is good to hear that they are willing to consider Madoka as a license in the future.
Well Madoka (and Bakemonogatari) is being licensed in the USA, we just have no idea by who yet. That's the big news form FanimeCon this weekend from Aniplex.
I just hope FUNimation doesn't get it, they take forever to release anything.

Reevothemusefan said:
I would also add that Andrew wanted to get a stream for Anohana but something happened at Aniplex that wouldn't allow it.
:(

Don't suppose you happened to ask him about AoD catching up with the shows they took a few weeks to start, did you?

Yeah, and that a dub doesn't censor Fire Emblem like mad xD

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having action figures of all the heroes...but I imagine the most we'd get is wallscrolls of Blue Rose xD

Please, Viz, get Ocean to dub it. And not Blue Water Ocean, the actual ocean. Everyone else they use usually suck.

As long as they're doing it & Steve's voicing Tiger, it should be perfect!

Back