Mary and the Witch's Flower Review

darkstorm

Writer Class Servant
AUKN Staff
If you love Ghibli, desire more of it, or are simply willing to look past this movie's Ghibli-related beginnings, then you’ll find a charming, magical and fun family movie with beautiful animation from a studio that clearly wants to make more delightful movies in the future.

Continue reading...

Good review, I actually watched it yesterday. It a good film which falls short of being a great one. I think being a standalone film restricts what we see of the magical world but I very much enjoyed it. 8/10 is what I gave it as well.

I enjoyed it at the cinema, but gave it a 7. I'll have to get it at some point to watch the dub which will help it seem a bit more authentic.

Marnie and Arrietty were both moved from England to Japan when those were adapted. Maybe that was a directive from above at Ghibli (Miyazaki did the script for Arrietty) and as their first film Ponoc decided to be more faithful.

I saw it in an Arts Centre a few months ago. Wonderfully animated though the story doesn't have a huge amount of substance, especially when compared with certain other recent anime films.

It's nice to hear a British dub for once, particularly considering the story is set here. Lots of other Britain centric anime tend to stick with American voices and I understand the reason, the actors may bot all be able to do consistent or varied enough accents for it to sound why good. On top of that, we don't really have a dubbing industry here outside a few one-off projects like this and a few video game franchise.

Lots of other Britain centric anime tend to stick with American voices and I understand the reason, the actors may bot all be able to do consistent or varied enough accents for it to sound why good.
A large amount of actors in US shows are either English or Australian, which I suspect comes down to cost (we're cheaper). In theatrical anime films, you tend to find that at least one of the main characters is voiced by an English actor. Springing to mind is Christan Bale in Howls Moving Castle or Minnie Driver in Princess Mononoke. They have English accents, they're just doing an American accent because...well...America :confused:

A large amount of actors in US shows are either English or Australian, which I suspect comes down to cost (we're cheaper). In theatrical anime films, you tend to find that at least one of the main characters is voiced by an English actor. Springing to mind is Christan Bale in Howls Moving Castle or Minnie Driver in Princess Mononoke. They have English accents, they're just doing an American accent because...well...America :confused:

Well we're only ever likely to get genuine British actors in productions like this,ones that have the money to afford those big name actors. In the wider anime dubbing industry that handles TV and most other films is pretty much all in North America and I don't know of any British actors working in that industry, probably because they would be expected to do American dialects most of the time (and it may not pay enoigh to maintain a Visa).

Truth be told its probably not easy for any British actor to maintain a career primarily on VA work alone.

Back