Manga UK announce Sword Art Online DVD and Blu-Ray

VoxPhantom

Stand User
Manga UK announce UK release of Sword Art Online

After hitting 30,000 subscribers on Twitter this morning, Manga UK have released a youtube video announcing their acquisition of Sword Art Online. The series will be released on DVD and Blu-ray, starting in December this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Manga UK announce UK release of Sword Art Online

I don't know about anybody else, but for me, MangaUK have found a way to make more UK releases that appeal greatly. Releasing AniplexUSA series over here on Blu-ray at prices that I can actually pay is a great strategy for me :p I hope they can keep it up.

I actually gave up on SAO around the ep 6 mark, but I think I'll pick this up for the pretty visuals and entertainment value when combined with alcohol.

Manga UK today revealed that they will release Sword Art Online, one of the biggest anime series of 2012, on DVD and Blu-Ray.

On YouTube a message from Manga's head of marketing and acquisitions, Jerome Mazandarani, announced the release after Manga UK's Twitter account reached over 30,000 followers.

The series will get its first release in December 2013.

Synopsis

On 6th November 2022 a new "Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game" is released. Sword Art Online is a video game set in a fantasy world in which players wear virtual reality helmets called "Nerve Gear". However, upon entering the game the players discover they cannot get out. All the players are trapped in the game, and are told by the game's founder that the only way to escape is to clear all 100 levels. If they die in the game, they die in real life too. The story follows experienced gamer Kirito as he tries to bet the game, as well as female player Asuna, whom be beings to fall in love with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how they're going to be releasing it? AniplexUSA is splitting up the series in four parts. Personally, I hope MangaUK release it in two sets - one for Aincrad and one for Fairy Dance. Looking at the American release dates, the last American volume (Fairy Dance Part 2) comes out in November, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not (obviously, MangaUK's release would be Region B locked).

This has saved me a lot of money. I was wondering about getting AniplexUSA's limited editions - I do like the series, but I'm not sure I like it enough to spend over £200 for. If MangaUK could at least get the soundtrack CDs though, that would be really awesome [/DoubtIt].

Ian Wolf said:
I'd say that the chances of getting the soundtrack with the release are about zero.
Yeah, unfortunately. To be honest, it's the main thing attracting me to AniplexUSA's release (Sword Art Online's OST was brilliant). Considering that CDs don't have the same region protection or ridiculous regulations like DVD/BDs do, MangaUK could always request to share stock and costs with AniplexUSA (like MVM do with Australian companies for blu-rays), but I doubt they'd do it.

If it were at all possible though, I'd easily pay around £30 for a 3 disc set though (2 BDs, 1 CD).

If it were just £30 with the CD I could see people from other regions importing ours just for the music ^^;

I'm keeping my US preorders. A solid choice of license for Manga, though.

R

Tbh, I am conflicted about the two. The US sets do look really pretty, but to import the entire series would cost around £300; yet I can't see MangaUK's release costing more than £60.

It's a pretty obvious license in terms of it's popularity, not a fan of the anime adaptation due to questionable moments but I can see that a lot of people will be happy about it.

I'm in the same situation. I'm very glad Manga got it so I get the chance to make up my own mind. It certainly appeals to me from what I have heard. Well done Manga :D

Whilst I don't think the series was as great as it's made out to be by a majority of people, I'm still going to be keeping my US pre-order just for the delicious extras. My only concern is the amount of space the four US sets will take up.

I'll admit though, I am a little disappointed that SAO went to Manga. I wanted Anime limited to get it for two reasons.
The first is that I see them as being more likely to throw in physical extras of some sort, and the second being that it would be good if they got a newer big title so that Manga doesn't just dominate the UK industry with them.

Back