Manga Twitter: Question about possible future Uk titles

Neferpitou

Stand User
All about possible UK licenses this week on MANGA Twitter. Including the following mentioned shows: <strong>One Piece, Nana, Sasami, Save Me Lollipop, Mar, Time Of Eve, Guyver OVA, Cycber City Odeo 808</strong> and more <strong>Blu-Ray releases</strong>!

“@MangaUK Hi again, Any plans to release any of old VHS Manga releases to DVD like: 12 part Guyver OVA & Cyber City Odeo 808?

@Dracule_Mihawk No, we don't I'm afraid. The license fees are too high for these old shows and I'd rather focus on new content.”

"@MangaUK Hi, are you still going to release Sasami & Save Me Lollipop which was announced by you some time ago: http://bit.ly/36ZChn. Thanks

@Dracule_Mihawk Not 100% certain at this stage. Sorry!"

"@MangaUK You planning on realeasing one piece? since one piece is the cool sauce

@unellmay I wish, but picking it up for UK i soooo difficult."

"@MangaUK Are you going to release the second season of Mar or is viz only coughing up the first half?

@ConanSan I don't know yet. The first series was a bit of a dead dog for us."

"@MangaUK do you have any plans on bringing the nana anime to the UK?

@tasukidaisuki No plans yet, but it keeps coming up in office conversation."

"@mangauk i'm counting on you for releasing more blu-Ray anime! ^_^

Maybe. Depends on Funimation, and whether series is in HD. I am not keen on putting out any Blu-rays that are not remastered in HD."

"Does anyone else love Time Of Eve? http://timeofeve.com/e/

@MangaUK Hell yeah. Why, are you releasing it? ::crosses fingers::

@animevision We're talking to the licensor in Japan. I am glad so many people like it. Up there with GITS:SAC in my book."

Time of Eve :thumb:

As for Blu-ray I'm not sure quite what they're saying there. Even upscaled shows have to be "remastered" in HD... there would be no point releasing something in standard definition on BD, obviously. Surely one of their big titles worth releasing on BD despite it being an upscale would be GitS: SAC?

Dave said:
Time Of Eve
Now that's encouraging. It looks like Crunchyroll's streaming of this series has had a positive effect over here.
The fact that resurrecting older licences isn't a concern of theirs comes as a slight disappointment though. I suppose general demand lies elsewhere.

Ah yes, it seems you're right. But it was animated in 720p rather than 1080p, so that's why the Japanese BD release is in 1080i. It is still an upscale of sorts.

ayase said:
As for Blu-ray I'm not sure quite what they're saying there. Even upscaled shows have to be "remastered" in HD... there would be no point releasing something in standard definition on BD, obviously. Surely one of their big titles worth releasing on BD despite it being an upscale would be GitS: SAC?
No, it's a key difference. Remastered means re-drawn at HD resolutions, or reconverted from film or something along those lines. Upscaled means just that - the original "smaller than HD" artwork is enlarged, rather than redrawn at the new resolution. It still can look better, but it's not like having a proper HD master.

For another good example, check out screenshots of a PS2 game being upscaled by a PS3, and compare to a screenshot of the same game actually being redrawn at a higher resolution by a PC emulator. Both are output in "HD", but the difference is stark.

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
No, it's a key difference. Remastered means re-drawn at HD resolutions, or reconverted from film or something along those lines. Upscaled means just that - the original "smaller than HD" artwork is enlarged, rather than redrawn at the new resolution. It still can look better, but it's not like having a proper HD master.
But that can't be done to things which were animated at a lower resolution can it? Film can be remastered at a higher resolution, but as I understand it, SD digital animation can only be upscaled to a higher resolution for it's HD master (softening the edges but eliminating artifacting and in some cases interlacing). Being a bit pedantic here, but either way it has still been 'remastered' ie: had a new, superior master copy created.

Additional: I'm not sure I understand what 're-drawing' is... it isn't possible to get detail out of something which didn't have it to begin with is it?

You're not being pedantic, you're applying your own meaning to the term "HD Master".

As for the additional, no, I mean literally redrawing the artwork in HD resolution, like for the HD Remix version of Super Street Fighter II, for example.

ilmaestro said:
You're not being pedantic, you're applying your own meaning to the term "HD Master".
Soo... Funimation's BD releases for series' which were not originally animated in HD for example - Have they or have they not had an 'HD master' made in exactly the way I described for those releases to be possible? Or is a master copy at an HD resloution not necessarily an 'HD master'?

(I could let this slide, and I may well lose this argument, but I'm having too much fun now) :lol:

ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
Soo... Funimation's BD releases for series' which were not originally animated in HD for example - Have they or have they not had an 'HD master' made in exactly the way I described for those releases to be possible? Or is a master copy at an HD resloution not necessarily an 'HD master'?

(I could let this slide, and I may well lose this argument, but I'm having too much fun now) :lol:
There is no "HD Master". Those shows are upscaled from an SD Master. You only have an HD Master with an actual HD image, you're willfully ignoring the difference between a large drawing, and a small one that has been magnified.

Oh, okay then. I'm bored now and when people start to accuse me of being wilfully ignorant I know it's time to stop (I've made that mistake with CG before). I'm not, by the way. Every time people accuse me of this it's the case that I do actually want to understand... perhaps my way of trying to understand other people by attempting to unpick their statements is a little combative. I'm worse in the flesh by the way, looking forward to our conversations on Friday. :p

OK, sorry, from the way you worded it I thought you were just doing it as a mental exercise rather than an actual question, my bad. Basically, just producing an upscaled image doesn't produce a new "Master" copy - it's just essentially a magnified and touched up reproduction of the SD master. I don't think you actually misunderstand, I think you're just applying the term too literally when it has a canned meaning.

I still don't have a twitter account (I should get one soon), but those mentions to one piece seemed to me that they were done by other fans asking Manga to pick One piece up, rather than Manga saying they are looking into it.

Maxon said:
That was rather uninformative. Why'd they get a Twitter account if they're going to be wishy washy about everything?
I believe that's the point. To generate fuzz, see how people reacts and take their marketnig decisions based on fan reaction.

The joys of informal marketing =)

ayase said:
... perhaps my way of trying to understand other people by attempting to unpick their statements is a little combative. I'm worse in the flesh by the way, looking forward to our conversations on Friday. :p
When everybody seemed to be getting along so well =D

I suggest getting them caught in a catch 22 like situation with one piece, ether they tell us why getting One piece is SOoooooo hard or we openly assume it's the French.

Or something, i'm outlinin' here.

Conan-san said:
I suggest getting them caught in a catch 22 like situation with one piece, ether they tell us why getting One piece is SOoooooo hard or we openly assume it's the French.

When i've asked at previous expos (and the answer by the way hasn't changed in a year), the short answer is Toei Animation's price with this also applying to the Dragon Ball Franchise. I won't say how much but its alot, per episode. So the likelyhood of it arriving here is very low unless letters are sent to Toei about it.

ThegreatPirateKing said:
Conan-san said:

When i've asked at previous expos (and the answer by the way hasn't changed in a year), the short answer is Toei Animation's price with this also applying to the Dragon Ball Franchise. I won't say how much but its alot, per episode. So the likelyhood of it arriving here is very low unless letters are sent to Toei about it.

WHOOOOOOOOs up for a letter writing campaign???? Not for One Piece of course...One Piece sucks. *Ducks*.

Back