Manga Ent. UK announce new UK licenses

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Manga Ent. UK have today shocked UK anime fans by announcing several new high profile UK acquisitions. In a press release sent to us, not only have they have confirmed they plan to release Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (a second 26 episode series of the popular cyber-punk thriller) in the UK, but they have also snapped up Mamoru Oshii's sequel to the original Ghost in the Shell movie- Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (with a UK theatrical run lined up for later in 2005 too). There are also suggestions they have licensed Robotech, but information on this at the moment is sketchy at best.

More new UK acquisitions from Manga UK are going to be announced at this weekend's London MCM Expo; so be sure to head on down there if you get the chance. Of course, you can rest assured we will be posting any news as soon as it filters through.

*Takes relieved breath after spending the last hour franticly typing up news stories*

Innocence is a great license and along with Steamboy and Howl's Moving Castle, I can't wait to own them.

This weekend is going be exciting waiting to hear what else Manga have up their sleeves.

As I pointed out in a few of the other Manga UK threads last week, people shouldn't rule out this company. They are far from the sleeping dinosaurs many people assume they are and I expect these announcements are but the beginning of what will hopefully be an exciting period for the UK community.

I hope that GITS 2 has got the corrected subtitles, and i would love Manga for ever if they get a dub done by the TV series cast, i really would :p

IanC said:
I hope that GITS 2 has got the corrected subtitles, and i would love Manga for ever if they get a dub done by the TV series cast, i really would :p

see everyone goes on about the hard of hearing subtiltes on the first pressing of the R1 Innocence, but Dreamworks apologised for this error not that long back and offered a replacement for faulty discs program. This issue has been addressed and I'm sure Manga will get both subtitle tracks...

So what is everyone's predictions for announcements over the weekend?

I'm hoping for Naruto, FLCL or Berserk. Some re-releases of cult classics like Wicked City, Cyber City and Wings of Honneamise certainly would be nice too :)

Naruto would be an excellent release but I never would have thought Manga would be the ones to release it. Fingers crossed anyway.

If Manga are going to go with classic rereleases onto DVD I personally think that Honnaemise or giant robo would be the best. Maybe a shock announcement of Patlabor 3 (or the patlabor TV & OAV's... please!)

and yet another rerelease of GITS, the super ultimate limited funkadelic edition...

I'd really like a DVD release of Wings of Honneamise and a confirmation of Robotech, both titles I've been meaning to import the R1s of for years. Can't see them getting Naruto though, it wouldn't fit in with the rest of their catalogue.

Exciting news, it's about time manga ent pulled their finger out and started releasing more new content. Some classics would'nt go amiss heres hoping Monster City and the FOTNS movie are'nt too far away.

I just hope they take their time to perfect the disc releases this time around. Much as I would like 2nd Gig, I'd be really dissapointed if we had a repeat of the problems that have plagued SAC's release.

Ohh Robotech goodness. Will be pissed off if its the original (now on Third version (Pirated japanese version, R1 DVD Version and the R4 undubed version.

By 'undubed version' i assume you mean SDF Macross, which was never dubbed in English, i personally would love a release of that but given its an AnimEigo title i would most likely be licenced by MVM.

Wouldn't be too bothered about RT though, i would love the orginals though

Well its not animego anymore..... They lost it. Madman got it straight from Harmony Gold, not AnimEgo.

Im hoping it will be some kind of uber 2 disc release. One disc for the Robotech version, the other for the orginal. That would rock.

AnimEigo didnt lose it, although it is out of print atm which is common enough with AnimEigo titles, Madman licenced it from HG but they bought the rights to the remaster that AnimEigo done and released the boxset, which is basically what they do with all there anime releases and what MVM does and what ADV Uk done with the likes of Hellsing and Last Exile.

Hybridchild said:
AnimEigo didnt lose it
Urm hello, they announced it at the end of 2004!! Why do you think TRSI are selling the 3 mini-boxes off cheap?

HG own the rights to the remaster, hence Robotech Remastered.

No it just went out of print, HG own the rights to SDF Macross in the US but they don't distrubte there titles they give the distro rights to other companys and AnimEigo are the company that have the disto rights to SDF Macross, ADV have most of there other anime stuff.

Before AnimEigo released it they took a poll to gauge interest in a Macross and asked people to pre-order it so they could remaster it because the masters they got from HG where terrible, there was a good deal of interest so they went ahead and spent a fortune of remastering it, so much so that there version looks better than the R2 version.

So they own the remastered version of SDF Macross the Robotech Remastered set is a new remaster done by ADV and it is a differant remaster, if you watch the two you can see the differances and a member of the Macross World forum done a comparssion between the two and the AnimEigo version is vastly superior to the ADV version

Back