UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I'll mention this here if you were like me who decided to skip some Manga titles during the MVM sale due to the pay upfront system.

United Publications recently added the Manga titles onto their website and the prices are pretty good. So if you wanted to get a title during the MVM sale but didn't want to pay immediately, UP1 has a price that's basically close to what MVM had to offer, on average a £1-2 difference due to postage (£3-4 for the LEs). They charge on dispatch for those who hadn't used the site before. Postage costs will vary depending on how many you order and the current climate.

For example:

AnimeFormatUP1 (£)UP1 P&P (£)MVM Easter Price (£)
COP CRAFTBlu-ray21.991.3522.39
Demon Lord, Retry!Blu-ray21.991.3522.39
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?Blu-ray21.991.3522.39
ID: INVADEDBlu-ray & DVD Limited Edition38.493.5039.19
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon MaidBlu-ray21.991.3522.39
Mob Psycho 100 IIBlu-ray & DVD Limited Edition35.743.5036.00
My Hero Academia Season 2Blu-ray19.241.5019.59
NEW GAME! & NEW GAME!+Blu-ray27.491.5027.99

I watched the first season on SAO but I didn't really enjoy it towards the later half but I know it has it's fan base. But it looks like later seasons seem to have turned it into a harem anime anyway lol.

464118.jpg

The first season is a bit like that even though it's pretty clear who his number 1 is and the rest just are there being cute anime girls with a crush on the MC.

The first half of the second season mainly focuses on one new girl who does appear as part of the gang later, don't watch the OP if you watch it the bad guy is revealed in it! The second smaller arc is a bit generic, but the third arc is has the best story of the first 2 seasons.

But like the Doc says Alicization doesn't really do that. Although there is a funny scene in the third (last aired) cour where Asuna and the 2 girls he does meet in the new world have an argument over who's Kirito best girl 😄

Last edited:
S3 looks more like pseudo isekai so it can keep up with the modern trashy demand for generic isekai power fantasies.
The first cour was Kirito learning about the new world, he wasn't especially OP though. The second cour was a fairly generic boss tower and had a bit of the power creep like older Shounen such as Bleach and the 3rd cour knocked him out, so the star turned out to be Alice which was refreshing and probably the best part of the series so far.

For me it has been the best season (all of Alicization as I still view it as one whole season even though it’s now “3”) of it but I knew I would like it due to knowing bits of the LNs. If Progressive ever could be an anime that would be interesting.

I'm just waiting for the death of the generic isekai phase of anime/LN so we can get some different fantasy.

I've been enjoying Bookworm since its not following the general tropes. I wonder who'll end up releasing it if CR ever free it from its grasps.

That and Villainess, and even some parts of the SAO franchise (GGO, etc) have at least gone with female leads which definitely bucks the trend of the 10s.
I believe most(?) of the 90s shows that had the premise of going to another world were female lead like Escaflowne.

There is a large saturation of isekai it seems. Finding that gem in the midst of it all is great but it's sometimes annoying when you look at one and can tell by the description it's a standard harem overpowered setup. Not that those can't be enjoyable, because they can be, but then it's another game entirely finding out whether it can make itself stand out from the dozens like it.

it'd be nice if we could see more reverse isekai, i'd assume with Devil is A Part-Timer ending in the LN form that we'll probably get some sort of announement of a 2nd season

it'd be nice if we could see more reverse isekai, i'd assume with Devil is A Part-Timer ending in the LN form that we'll probably get some sort of announement of a 2nd season

It would be great if it happened but they only covered 2 LN volumes with the anime and there's 20 out now, I don't see any studio wanting to commit to adapting all that and if they do it'll probably be extremely rushed.

My annoyance with all the Isekai are the uncreative titles that follow them and read more like a synopsis as it really puts me off wanting to watch them. Are you stuck in another world a smart phone? Great have fun with that. Yeah it's a minor quip I know but still it's annoying lol. It tells me everything about the genre as well, protag goes in a video game and he has an item from our land like his PS4 controller and he get's into unfunny hijinks with it.

I hear Konosuba is one of the good ones and it doesn't have an offensive title so I might check that one out.

That and Villainess, and even some parts of the SAO franchise (GGO, etc) have at least gone with female leads which definitely bucks the trend of the 10s.

It having a female MC isn't what I meant by "general tropes". I'd rather not compare something actually well written to SAO.

I can't talk about villainess because I haven't read/watched it. Though I can see there has been a huge rise in characters isekai'ing into a otome world as the villainess character lately, and it makes me get vary of something when a bunch of stuff clones it.

Back