UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Yeah, I was going to say that thinking "Saiyajin" is correct really takes me back a decade or two, before people became aware that it literally translates to "person who is a Saiya", or as we'd write it, "Saiyan".

Yeah, I was going to say that thinking "Saiyajin" is correct really takes me back a decade or two, before people became aware that it literally translates to "person who is a Saiya", or as we'd write it, "Saiyan".

Yep. My Japanese lessons rarely get any use anymore but it is fun to read through the occasional misconceptions.

Last edited:
Y'know I speak enough Japanese to tell you that this is an incorrect translation and Saiyan is legitimately more accurate despite what fans might protest.

I wonder if the Saiyajins speak Saiyago? :p

Im just going by what I hear, thats all.

Like, I was watching Death Billiards earlier and I was hearing the characters say Billiards but the subs were saying Pool, things like that just bug me... :p

Mom instead of Mama in The Promised Neverland 😠
There's something I've noticed a lot where the subs say "you", but the line uses the characters name. I can't think of a specific example at the moment though.

Another one that bugs me is when they translate the word manga to comics. Unless they're actually reading american comics, it just feels unnecessary. They never seem to translate anime to cartoon either.

One of my "favourites" was Renji in the original Japanese Bleach clearly saying "Howl" in English, yet the Japanese subtitle track still wrote "Roar" to match the US dubbing... He literally spoke English at me and you're telling me I understood it wrong?! :p

It's been a while, but wasn't he saying 吠えろ (hoero)? That's actually a Japanese word. (Through howl comes before roar according to jisho at least.)

One of my "favourites" was Renji in the original Japanese Bleach clearly saying "Howl" in English, yet the Japanese subtitle track still wrote "Roar" to match the US dubbing... He literally spoke English at me and you're telling me I understood it wrong?! :p

it's probably down to the translators only being handed the script and told to do your best, i remember when the Valkyrie Drive Game came out one of the translators said they had no context for all or most of the stuff and some of the translations they did they could've done slightly better had they had the source of it

it's probably down to the translators only being handed the script and told to do your best, i remember when the Valkyrie Drive Game came out one of the translators said they had no context for all or most of the stuff and some of the translations they did they could've done slightly better had they had the source of it
That might explain this from Violet Evergarden:
there was a scene with a wide shot of some mountains with a citadel on top one called Intense. Now the Japanese VA says Intense (as in the name of the place in English, or whatever the language of the area is) as it is a reference to something she remembers. The sub also says Intense, but they translated an English word (or reinterpretated it) to "beautiful" (as in it was a beautiful view) in the English dub!

Finally some listings after the BBFC revealing it
MHA S1 is getting released by manga
Overlord 2 SE Both formats have also been listed on AOL as well as hellsing ultimate collection on both formats (grav is writing up article as we speak)

Nice one Manga, put out a retailer exclusive CE of a show, tell everyone there won't be a SE coming down the line... only to release a SE a few months down the line.

Again.

Uh oh, Hellsing Ultimate is like the Naruto 5 movie collection all over again...

Good news for myself though, since i dont own any of them yet. £35 is a great price too!

I have no issue with there being a gap between a CE and an SE when a company is upfront about it. AL have always said when an SE would be happening later and that they like to give the CE some time to sell. The problem with Manga is that they basically lie about a SE ever happening only to release it after a few months.

I have no issue with there being a gap between a CE and an SE when a company is upfront about it. AL have always said when an SE would be happening later and that they like to give the CE some time to sell. The problem with Manga is that they basically lie about a SE ever happening only to release it after a few months.
No no no AL have rarely been upfront about it. 6 months they said Rec in G took two years. All the FUNi stuff won’t ever get a SE. Eureka Seven Hi evo a film still no standard edition. And all films they show in cinema gets standard edition same day bar Code Geass ofc. They don’t have a consistent policy. MVM do bar that time they delayed one to push CE sales at least they were open. I knew Overlord would get a SE it’s too big a title not too so I can’t see why people were pressured into it.
All three are bad at standard editions then again funi is repeating it now with stuff FMP IV CE only and it’s already sold out.

Last edited:
No no no AL have rarely been upfront about it. 6 months they said Rec in G took two years. All the FUNi stuff won’t ever get a SE. Eureka Seven Hi evo a film still no standard edition. And all films they show in cinema gets standard edition same day bar Code Geass ofc. They don’t have a consistent policy. MVM do bar that time they delayed one to push CE sales at least they were open. I knew Overlord would get a SE it’s too big a title not too so I can’t see why people were pressured into it.

Fair enough. From my experience speaking with ppl from AL and seeing them speak at MCM I've always felt they were upfront about stuff. I do agree about the inconsistent policies though which almost certainly makes it harder for them to keep track of everything.

With the Overlord thing Manga were basically saying on twitter that there were no plans for a SE to anyone that asked. For one to be coming out after only a few months says to me that they were lying. They were basically fooling ppeople into thinkibg they had to buy the CE if they wanted it. They did the exact same thing with the GITS:SAC blu ray

Back