UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Though this is true, it probably only counts for a small section of the market. It needs to be standard from release. I still don't see huge benefits of 4K for anime aside from the odd film or rescan. No the same jump that blu ray provided anyway.

It's all about that HDR. Colours really pop more on 4K stuff due to this.

I haven't seen any 4K animated content yet, so I can't say honestly.
That's part of my point, there isn't much of it about. Yeah it looks great but it's not the quantum leap that blu ray was over DVD. Its a harder sell to the general public. I think we will see more 4K releases of new anime films but I cants see it for TV series. Maybe Manga may try releasing the GITS film in 4K to test the waters.

Whats not to like about digipacks? Much nicer than an ugly blue case imo.

I suggested they license HxH but surely someone would of got that already if it was a possibility. :confused:

they stick out on the shelf and after a while the glue dries up and the plastic tray often falls out, also they sometimes get pretty squashed in the post

they stick out on the shelf and after a while the glue dries up and the plastic tray often falls out, also they sometimes get pretty squashed in the post

I like to separate my rigid cases from my amarays so they match up nicely. (Im assuming thats what you mean by sticking out)

Cant say Ive ever had a problem with the glue drying, apart from the Gurren Lagann UE where it was a known issue, and I've only ever had 1 digipack arrive damaged.

The only ones i had a bad memory of is the simpson's head shaped sets ones. They were cheap and very weak. But Ive had more amarays damaged even % wise than digipacks I think also digipacks always being in chipboard sets these days (Like the Doctor Who Season BDs) helps there chances

I like to separate my rigid cases from my amarays so they match up nicely. (Im assuming thats what you mean by sticking out)

Cant say Ive ever had a problem with the glue drying, apart from the Gurren Lagann UE where it was a known issue, and I've only ever had 1 digipack arrive damaged.
I find that digipaks and slipcovered regular Blu Rays tend to blend in fairly well, and ditto on GL UE. Digipaks are fine as long as the box holding them isn’t too tight. I’ve never received one damaged outside of my Sound Euphonium CE which came in a very tight box.

The only ones i had a bad memory of is the simpson's head shaped sets ones. They were cheap and very weak. But Ive had more amarays damaged even % wise than digipacks I think also digipacks always being in chipboard sets these days (Like the Doctor Who Season BDs) helps there chances
I own a couple of those Simpson heads, and yeah they’re very flimsy, look pretty garish too.

The digipacks of those simpsons head sets were the least of their problems! Those god awful flimsy plastic sleeves that didn't cover the whole spine, nor did they have the nice colours of the regular versions, they looked so out of place! Quickly replaced mine! Still got em though, somewhere. 😠

I just don’t have the desire to replace mine. I sort of feel a nostalgia for all the old Simpson sets I own. They’ll never get a Blu Ray release sadly.

Last edited:
Like the look of the collectors set, but at just short of £60 for half a season, it's a clear no from me.
Would have much rather Manga released FUNi's Franxx CE...

Back