UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

If it’s a legal or contractual problem, there’s every chance they literally can’t comment even if they wanted to.

That doesn’t ever make silence more useful than facts, merely more legal.

In this case, it works against Manga because lack of information in the past is a big reason people still are a bit wary of their products.
It doesn’t matter much that their silence may be justified (or legally required) this time, just that it is them withholding information yet again that could head off a potential PR kerfuffle.

That doesn’t ever make silence more useful than facts, merely more legal.

In this case, it works against Manga because lack of information in the past is a big reason people still are a bit wary of their products.
It doesn’t matter much that their silence may be justified (or legally required) this time, just that it is them withholding information yet again that could head off a potential PR kerfuffle.
I agree, of course. Just look at the rhetorical kicking AL have gotten over their Funi titles, which are presumably due to the same problem. It’s a worst-of-all-worlds situation for everyone involved.

They replaced them for people who complained on Twitter, then when others went to enquire about replacements their response was basically tough ****.
This is the reason I normally wait for reviews before buying any manga release, and if it has got faults I wait till the prices come down. I also don't buy part 1 before part 2 has been released.

One people love the show so to be extreme to those people who love the show its like trapping your balls in a door is an insult. And MVMs release of sailor moon was very flawed too it didn't get in major toy and supermarkets so a kid could spot and ask their parent and dub only means "us" hardcore people would never buy it in a million years it didnt appeal to anyone. And the industry has changed in 20 years as people love to tell me I dont think its unfair for people to ask for it again especially with the kind of resurgence Crystal has made it. Kodansha are giving us £20 manga CEs it must be popular. I think without BBFC costs we would have had it by now.

During its release wayyy back on VHS, we did actually try to get it into supermarkets but no one was interested. Remember Woolworths? We even tried to give them copies for free - FREE! - purely just to get the title out there and still declined.

Sad to hear, and I can understand why you wouldn't want to license it. Sailor Moon I can see why it isnt licensed but ill be honest if AL or someone does ever release the original CCS I would hope Sailor Moon follows. And even if we cant get original sailor moon ill take just crystal at this point if Toei ever release the dreams films.

I feel like if Sailor Moon is ever gonna come to the UK at this point the only realistic option to cover all the stupid BBFC costs and silence the people who pi$$ and moan about no UK release but then don't buy it and import anyway.
Kickstarter - money where you mouth is! If it doesn't meet the required amount to make it financially viable then it doesn't get done and everyone gets to move on with their lives and find something else to fixate on that's never gonna get a release here.

After how AL did kickstarters before no thanks.
Its 200 episodes and 3 movies so that a lot of BBFC costs. I have give up importing Madmans for now anyway ill get stars day 1 then move backwards. Crystal ill get when we get a date for the films, but we moan because now every other major country has it licensed bar us. America, Australia most of Europe ec. (Thats also another worry do Viz have it due to their getting most of Europe's rights)

Was Sailor Moon ever a thing in the UK? Given from previous comments it doesn't sound like it. In a lot of Europe (definitely Germany at least) it was the first Anime to be called Anime. Don't know about the anime in the US, but afaik the Manga was what cemented Tokyopop US there and was what started the Manga market there.
SM also seems a bit peculiar on its own; after rebroadcast over rebroadcast the crave for it had rather died down,, but then Takeuchi pulled the rights plug and suddenly it became this totally rare nostalgia gem quasi over night and this treasure hunting lasted for a more than a decade. (I very much think it helped generating more crave than it otherwise would have had.)

It aired briefly in the 90s but heavily edited such as Sailor Uranus and Neptune were Cousins and Usagi was called Serena. And it has the shittest most 90s OP ever also we never got Stars
Sailor Moon Opening (English) *HD*

So yeah when Viz got it and were bringing it back in a unedited form (Dubbed ) and Stars it was massive news.

Last edited:
It does seem to keep the melody of Moonligh Densetsu though, which is surprising, I thought the 90s English localizations were all doing their own thing back then. oo
Ours was its completely own thing, like that
which pretty much stayed the same across all seasons, even Stars, if I remembered correctly.
(Rebroadcast had occasional other openings, like this
but most were rather pretty bad. Like this:
was esppecially bad to my ears)

The melody of the ED (piano Version of the OP) wasn't all that bad though combined with the melancholic night atmophere of the visuals.

After how AL did kickstarters before no thanks.
Its 200 episodes and 3 movies so that a lot of BBFC costs. I have give up importing Madmans for now anyway ill get stars day 1 then move backwards. Crystal ill get when we get a date for the films, but we moan because now every other major country has it licensed bar us. America, Australia most of Europe ec. (Thats also another worry do Viz have it due to their getting most of Europe's rights)
As someone struck by the AL Kickstarters I'd rather someone else take a crack at it than them. (Still stings Patama was on shelves before I got mine!)
But I genuinely think if it wasn't for the BBFC costs someone would've released it here by now as the anime fandom as a whole has moved on from what it was in the 90's and something along the lines of a Kickstarter would be the perfect way to cover that costs and show if interest was there.
Or all UK companies can just band together and say never in a million years and you should all import it. Either way people will stop asking and we can all move onto Hunter x Hunter or Gintama :)

I also recall the faulty chapter markings in the SAC Deluxe Edition set that was rectified for the standard release. Would have appreciated a disc replacement scheme, even if I had to pay postage myself.

They replaced them for people who complained on Twitter, then when others went to enquire about replacements their response was basically tough ****.
From all I know who emailed manga they all got free replacements pretty quickly when they returned the faulty discs.
I haven't had anyone get refused once they returned the faulty discs though this was almost a year ago but might be worth asking Manga about it if possible.

From all I know who emailed manga they all got free replacements pretty quickly when they returned the faulty discs.
I haven't had anyone get refused once they returned the faulty discs though this was almost a year ago but might be worth asking Manga about it if possible.
They did give replacement discs to those who initially complained, once it was seen they were doing so more people enquired about it and were told there were no more replacements being handed out for the dodgy chapter marking.

My copi off overlord 2 is broken :( the blurays dics getting back 25% but wont but a new one wil get the standard releas if it comes if not getting the madman bluray

Last edited:
Back