UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Was the feedback we want a SE, as they should have noticed that from what happened with universal and MHA s1 As I’m seeing deja Vu

The main points discussed were the lack of an SE, and the high price making the set look expensive in our market compared to other companies offerings (MVM/AL)

I just called it a repeat of the MHA situation

ye I said I would of preferrred they dropped the poster, and art cards (since the cards just repeat the art on the amaray case), and just keep the booklet so they can drop the price.
Agreed, the booklet and artbox are the only aspects of CEs that I care for tbh, artcards really aren’t worth the clutter.

I get so confused with acronyms now, SE used to mean "Special Edition" I'm fairly sure, it means "Standard Edition" now?
That would be better than this
The Uk anime industry is wrong
CE first is wrong its a bad profit first business model and im sick of it. Its why i import all other markets offer a choice we dont. Australia is smaller yet offer a choice Madman is releasing both Magus Bride is a joke. And we made this we did this to ourselves. AL changed the market im saying for worse as these CEs aren't as good as ALs and are more expensive.
If it helps doc, you can blame me. I was proposing something almost exactly like AL's current business model here on AUKN before AL even existed, as a way for UK companies to offer something better than the US releases (as an answer to what would make me support the local market and stop importing - something I have largely done).

I like to believe Andrew, at the time a rep for Beez, read my comments and the entire UK anime industry was from that point on reconstructed entirely around my own wishes. It's entirely possible I had this effect even if it wasn't intentional on Andrew's part, since I also had the power to will into existence the US DVD release of the original Dirty Pair and my greatest achievement of all, somehow altering the timeline so that not only did one of the limbs of Neo-ADV commit to the insane act of releasing Patlabor on TV on Blu-ray (a show so unprofitable on DVD that CPM stopped dubbing it half way through, then went bankrupt) but it actually became popular and sold. And I can't even imagine how hard people would have laughed a few years ago if I told them the much maligned, ayase championed Gundam ZZ would now have a UK Blu-ray release.

Last edited:
Was the feedback we want a SE, as they should have noticed that from what happened with universal and MHA s1 As I’m seeing deja Vu
We? Nope. YOU. You keep saying you want SEs. And then no matter what UK distributors do, you buy US releases. Mostly US CEs, well if you can even call an AOA release a CE, I might add. Stop being so entitled.

I don’t know If it stopped importing...
Especially due to past few years due to CR/FUNi. And delays I think it may have reduced it in the short term.
Also I don’t have a problem with the different CEs like AL do as that again offers people choice. It’s FUNi/Sony thinking CEs means we just want the clone of the US with the US price tag attached.

I get so confused with acronyms now, SE used to mean "Special Edition" I'm fairly sure, it means "Standard Edition" now?

If it helps doc, you can blame me. I was proposing something almost exactly like AL's current business model here on AUKN before AL even existed, as a way for UK companies to offer something better than the US releases (as an answer to what would make me support the local market and stop importing - something I have largely done).

I like to believe Andrew, at the time a rep for Beez, read my comments and the entire UK anime industry was from that point on reconstructed entirely around my own wishes. It's entirely possible I had this effect even if it wasn't intentional on Andrew's part, since I also had the power to will into existence the US DVD release of the original Dirty Pair and my greatest achievement of all, somehow altering the timeline so that not only did one of the limbs of Neo-ADV commit to the insane act of releasing Patlabor on TV on Blu-ray (a show so unprofitable on DVD that CPM stopped dubbing it half way through, then went bankrupt) but it actually became popular and sold.
If you were the one somehow responsible for the Patlabor Blu Rays’ existence then you have my thanks😉

We? Nope. YOU. You keep saying you want SEs. And then no matter what UK distributors do, you buy US releases. Mostly US CEs, well if you can even call an AOA release a CE, I might add. Stop being so entitled.
It's not just thedoctor on this one I'm afraid. I would also like a standard edition. I predominantly buy collector's editions (UK at that) but £50 for a 40 page book, artcards, and a poster is a piss take.
I'll also agree with the MHA parallels, it had a stupid price not reflective of what was included so most people imported the AU release.
Hell if people wanna spend £50 on it that's their choice and good for them but at least give the option of a standard. Guess that makes me entitled too :p

Yes because if I like a show enough to import then I will import a CE. Unless it’s on sale and sales don’t benefit importers much. And why can’t I want SEs of ahows I don’t love. I got Flip Flappers for £12 and I’m thrilled and so happy mvm gave it a SE (yes I always planned to get the SE even at £25 things just got ahead of it) and the AoA sets I buy oh the shows I love like monogatari, Fate and FMA I don’t buy AoA sets of meh shows I usually go to madman for those or if MVM licensed it them. And it’s the choice I don’t love Magus bride as a whole but I love the design of the CE and love part 1 that’s what swayed me. My importing is gonna drop probably most March due to circumstances outside my control so I do hope we get more good value CEs exist. And if I liked overlord I would buy this CE AND STILL MOAN. I did about MHA I bought it but said s1 should have a SE it’s a bridge show and I stand by it needing a SE. And as most of my import these days are Gundams I don’t need to say much why I import most of those.
And asking for a 99p discount on a £50 set is quite entitled to me...

giphy.gif

I be here watching. Fun times...

Monogatari is the dictonary definition of meh.

If they're going to force us to use a retailer, it should be one that doesn't charge shipping. The ony time I paid shipping last year from a UK retailer was for GITS:SAC because of Zavvi.
Oriemo is definition of so generic and dull I couldn’t finish one episode... but opinions differ.

Ouch.
£50 for that Overlord set is a bit much i think.
£35-40 would have been acceptable for the UK market for a 13 ep show.
Would have been better if they dropped the DVDs and poster and gave us a cheaper price point but nvm.
If it struggles to sell then hopefully feedback will be taken note of...

£50 is a bit steep especially when there is no early bird option. I know MVM sets are around the same price but at least they have sales and this Xmas early bird offers which made them affordable. Not doing a standard edition seems stupid, are they just going to sit on the licence when the CE sells out?

In terms of pricing if it's a cost issue, loose the poster and if needed the art cards to bring the RRP down. Most folks want a nice art book and box. I actually imported season 2 which I now slightly regret, however in the grand scheme of things it only cost me £5 more ( probably not even that once you add Zavvi shipping)

£35-£40 seems to be the sweet spot for pricing. I really hope they don't start moaning about sales with that price point. Season one sold out pretty quite as it was well priced

Back