UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I just checked for DanMachi. With Shipping and VAT the total is $104 from Amazon. So its £82 or so roughly atm. Not a big price gap between a large amount of extras.
Even with Amazon knocking 42% off the retail price, something that Manga won't be fortunate enough to have happen here, that's still more than double the cost of Manga's version. I own a couple of Sentai Premium Edtions (BtB and Chunibyo, which I got during happier days for the GBP) and honestly they're mostly tat. I'd love the booklet but I can only conclude it wasn't possible for the price. Jerome needs to clarify, though.

They should have chose better shows that two two cour shows full of tat for the sentai clones

But don't you want a lego style figure of a character!.

They were really full of crap, and not the best shows to use as a test. They should do how MVM copied NGNL's CE for their Deluxe Editions not too much crap but felt premium.

But don't you want a lego style figure of a character!.

They were really full of crap, and not the best shows to use as a test. They should do how MVM copied NGNL's CE. It was cheerful, and nice.
MVM are easily the best at CEs. Nozaki-kun and No Game No Life were perfect and reasonably priced.

I'm guessing he sees the fever for things like Tokyo Ghoul. He sees the sales figures in free fall for 'otaku' shows and wants to find a way to make them work, but at the same time everyone is clamouring for low prices and he tries to come up with a compromise that he thinks will get the otaku on board without being as pricey as the US edition it's borrowing from. Finding a sweet spot that has otaku and mass appeal all at once like TG must be a dream.

The problem is that the Internet exists and we already know what everyone else got and for how much. The show has less broad appeal than TG if you take the time to understand demographics. And the slimmed-down CE is still sort of expensive. It's a new show for the UK and it's also quite a big one to its creators; I doubt it was the cheapest license they picked up. While Jerome acts very open and uninhibited I don't think he actually has the freedom to frankly discuss some of the business realities behind his decisions.

Comparing apples to oranges here because that's what Manga tend to do (and in fairness there are very few titles similar enough for direct comparison anyway). I agree that Akame and Parasyte weren't great experiments. But they'll just blame streaming for Danmachi anyway; Amagi never got a proper simulcast here IIRC (I've certainly never seen it) so I'd like to see the fallout from that debate once all is said and done. Amagi should outsell Danmachi 10:1, right?

R

I wonder if I should buy multiple copies of Danmachi even though I don't like it just to stack the streaming debate in my favour when the sales roll in.

(I am absolutely kidding.)

R

Well fortunately for myself I have no interest in Manga's current lineup. If I see DanMachi for cheap I might grab it but it would be a blind buy.

I think if you have watched 12 episodes of something you will have a reasonably good idea of whether you want to buy a physical copy or not, as opposed to those who have not seen any and are now being asked to cough up for a CE. I believe those two episodes were OAVs in Japan, too.

But - and I'm saying this without the sarcastic tone it's possible to read into it - that's the logic that Manga believe the UK market works under, that everyone is blind buying all of these UEs and CEs and that's the only way to monetise anime at all. I sincerely hope it will be proven wrong once and for all, and we'll have a SE for Amagi for mid-price consumers and a free stream (Netflix isn't free) for those on a tighter budget. If it's a good show it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible, not just rich blind buyers and pirates. I don't even want to be part of a fandom where only those two groups are being served when it's 2017 and the US/Japan have cracked much better anime distribution for all.

R

We're unfortunately an incredibly small market, and we are under-served in terms of service due to it.

I also don't see whats wrong with DVD style cases as long as the packaging is premium along with the extras. My "A Lull by the Sea" CE has DVD style cases, and is a lovely set. Digipacks are not the only way to style a release, and I personally think DVD boxes are nice than blu-ray amarays.

believe those two episodes were OAVs in Japan, too.
Episode 14 was, but episode 13 was broadcast on TV.

free stream (Netflix isn't free) for those on a tighter budget
Aren't even AL guilty of having some streams only on paid services?

everyone is blind buying all of these UEs and CEs
I'm actually guilty of this. The majority of my anime purchases, including UEs and CEs are blind buys. I'd rather watch things on bluray once than stream them once and never buy them. Just in case I change my mind in the future and do want to rewatch after a stream disappears.

If it's a good show it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible, not just rich blind buyers and pirates.
This'll be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think we should have any streams, paid or free, of titles that are available physically. Simulcasts are great, they serve a useful purpose, but catalogue streaming for titles that have physical releases just encourages people to be cheap and devalues the perceived value of media. Once a title is available physically, a stream should be delisted, leaving just simulcasts and catalogue streaming for titles without a physical release for whatever reason. Though, ideally, everything should be available physically.

I'm guessing he sees the fever for things like Tokyo Ghoul. He sees the sales figures in free fall for 'otaku' shows and wants to find a way to make them work, but at the same time everyone is clamouring for low prices and he tries to come up with a compromise that he thinks will get the otaku on board without being as pricey as the US edition it's borrowing from. Finding a sweet spot that has otaku and mass appeal all at once like TG must be a dream.

The problem is that the Internet exists and we already know what everyone else got and for how much. The show has less broad appeal than TG if you take the time to understand demographics. And the slimmed-down CE is still sort of expensive. It's a new show for the UK and it's also quite a big one to its creators; I doubt it was the cheapest license they picked up. While Jerome acts very open and uninhibited I don't think he actually has the freedom to frankly discuss some of the business realities behind his decisions.

Comparing apples to oranges here because that's what Manga tend to do (and in fairness there are very few titles similar enough for direct comparison anyway). I agree that Akame and Parasyte weren't great experiments. But they'll just blame streaming for Danmachi anyway; Amagi never got a proper simulcast here IIRC (I've certainly never seen it) so I'd like to see the fallout from that debate once all is said and done. Amagi should outsell Danmachi 10:1, right?

R

I believe Amagi was simulcast on Animax UK? So nobody actually watched it streaming, but it will provide a convenient excuse when it bombs. Rather than the reality that a poor product and high price tag scared people off.

This'll be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think we should have any streams, paid or free, of titles that are available physically. Simulcasts are great, they serve a useful purpose, but catalogue streaming for titles that have physical releases just encourages people to be cheap and devalues the perceived value of media. Once a title is available physically, a stream should be delisted, leaving just simulcasts and catalogue streaming for titles without a physical release for whatever reason. Though, ideally, everything should be available physically.

I've never understood how more people having the capacity to watch or listen to something devalues it. If anything it increases it's value. Thank god, only Jerome thinks this -- Not even Aniplex are that stupid.

I find it infuriating when people link a work's commercial value to it's artistic value. Sherlock Holmes is public domain, it's commercial value for it's creators is effectively nil, that does nothing to lessen it's value as a fantastic and influential piece of writing. Meanwhile, Michael Bay's Transformers franchise is not public domain, it's commercial value must be in the billions, and yet, it's artistic value? Hmm...

I believe Amagi was simulcast on Animax UK? So nobody actually watched it streaming, but it will provide a convenient excuse when it bombs. Rather than the reality that a poor product and high price tag scared people off.

Amagi Brilliant Park has never received a UK stream.

Quite a lot of TBS shows did under Anime on Demand and Animax UK though, but they're all gone.

Back