UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I find it odd that they're releasing Boruto before finishing Shippuden, especially as after Set 37 in July they'll only be one left to release. I guess it counts as a separate license or something?

The last episodes (which are filling up 2 sets in Germany at least) are adapting some of the light novels, set a few years after the Manga ending. They take place around the time of the The Last movie. In terms of narrative and style they are much closer to the style of Boruto Arcs imo. So don't find it all that weird.
(Germany meanwhile seems to wait for Shippuden to finish, though.)

I'm much more curious about the video quality. Japan only has a DVD realease, so would that be proper HD on the BD then, or just on the CR Stream level? (France already has it, but Kana having accelerated audio kind of drowns anything else about the release.)

Thing that annoys me most about this is that Jerome will probably moan saying LE don't sell but its just not the case. if you get your SPR right and don't limit the release to Zavvi people will buy it. I didn't buy it as I had already imported and Manga were late to the party when they announced it.

Honestly this gives me zero confidence in buying long running series outside of AOT.

Also Doc made the point about MVM releasing Made in Abyss for £50, well I dint pay that and I bet a lot of other people didn't either. If isn't restricted you can shop around or wait for a sale.

I find it odd that they're releasing Boruto before finishing Shippuden, especially as after Set 37 in July they'll only be one left to release. I guess it counts as a separate license or something?

Of course it would be a seperate license While its a continuation its a completely different trademark, manga, anime production, etc.

Thing that annoys me most about this is that Jerome will probably moan saying LE don't sell but its just not the case. if you get your SPR right and don't limit the release to Zavvi people will buy it. I didn't buy it as I had already imported and Manga were late to the party when they announced it.

Honestly this gives me zero confidence in buying long running series outside of AOT.

Also Doc made the point about MVM releasing Made in Abyss for £50, well I dint pay that and I bet a lot of other people didn't either. If isn't restricted you can shop around or wait for a sale.
Zavvi is currently reducing Overlord II I admit if it goes below 40 I’ll grab it but that kinda shows it didn’t sell. So it’s a lose lose waiting kinda results in this as they base it on initial sales.

Zavvi is currently reducing Overlord II I admit if it goes below 40 I’ll grab it but that kinda shows it didn’t sell. So it’s a lose lose waiting kinda results in this as they base it on initial sales.

well Manga did annouce the set like the day after US copies started shipping. Some of the more hardcore fans thought we weren't getting a release due to the lack of FUNi titles, and ofc pre-ordered the US one instead.

There are a lot of factors to how iffy the S2 set sold here, but doesn't change that the end result was low sales.

Its weird that AoT S3 is gettign an LE though when its LE/CE is still not sold out, and probably suffered similiar issues, but I guess AoT is too popular regardless to how it sold.

Yeah AoT S3 getting a LE is a kinda surprise. S;G0 more so as it got quite mixed response I will only buy it as a love the VN.

Do you think the VN should be played before watching the series then? I've had it on my shelf for ages and never got round to playing. Was just gona wait for the series but sounds like the game might be worth doing first.

Do you think the VN should be played before watching the series then? I've had it on my shelf for ages and never got round to playing. Was just gona wait for the series but sounds like the game might be worth doing first.
I would say yes as it’s way better and makes more sense. The Anime trying to merge the routes makes it very confusing in my opinion. I can remember people being very confused by the anime ending, while the VN i felt was more clear.

I would say yes as it’s way better and makes more sense. The Anime trying to merge the routes makes it very confusing in my opinion. I can remember people being very confused by the anime ending, while the VN i felt was more clear.

Fair. I'll have to get off my lazy ass and onto my motivated one soon then and give it a go!

Having watched it without VN knowledge, I'd suggest doing so. There was a bulkload of stuff just implied, left hanging or glossed over. Both details and major plot parts. Some anime-only parts have been replaced/added, too. (Like episode 8, which in itself is good, but there is zero explanation of how it even happened in the first place.) I wound up reading up a good lot and watching parts as let's plays and looking at timeline explanations.
(Still having going though the VN properly fully on my plate.)

Having watched it without VN knowledge, I'd suggest doing so. There was a bulkload of stuff just implied, left hanging or glossed over. Both details and major plot parts. Some anime-only parts have been replaced/added, too. (Like episode 8, which in itself is good, but there is zero explanation of how it even happened in the first place.) I wound up reading up a good lot and watching parts as let's plays and looking at timeline explanations.
(Still having going though the VN properly fully on my plate.)
The VN of episode 8 was so powerful I can remember telling people it’s gonna be the best ep of the anime whenever it came. Though yeah it does skip over all the explanation to try and make it one ep when it kinda should have been two.

The VN of episode 8 was so powerful I can remember telling people it’s gonna be the best ep of the anime whenever it came. Though yeah it does skip over all the explanation to try and make it one ep when it kinda should have been two.
Still miffy about them never explaining, how he got to where he got. And how occurances wind up fixing whatever went wrong somewhere. But if they explained all that which I read up, that's certainly more than two episodes, as it's tied to the whole war business they pretty much left out almost completely, too. That being left out also made Kagari such a... well, actually pretty much not so really useful character. (Though some others Wind up being even more useless, but one of them seems to have been like that even in the VN?)
But overall, still think the biggest problem is the show's lack of competence in terms of multilayered storytelling and screentime management. The original did a really great job with it and could condense some lengthy characterization narration and exposition into sometimes just a few cuts. Still in progress the original VN, but it really feels slow and less poignant in many parts of it so far. Also, 23b does its 5 Minutes of divergence a better job at characterizing and dramatising 0-Okabe than then whole S;G 0 Anime. Which is just so sad...
(Do wonder, how the man got the job for director on S;G 0. Was he just especially cheap to get for S;G Elite's new Cuts or what?)

Just put in my Steins Gate 0 disk and it amused me that it felt the need to have a disclaimer stating it's a work of fiction.

I wonder if MangaUk will be re-releasing some titles from funimation on blu ray.

I wrote a list I might of missed some.

Aria the scarlet ammo s1
Baka and test s1 s2
Basilisk
Ben-to
Black blood brothers
Black butler s1 s2
Burst angel
Burst angel
Casshern sins
Cat planet cuties
D gray man