UK Anime Distributor Manga Animatsu Discussion Thread

Cold Cobra

I'm entirely trustworthy...
AUKN Staff
Yeah, I was going to say that thinking "Saiyajin" is correct really takes me back a decade or two, before people became aware that it literally translates to "person who is a Saiya", or as we'd write it, "Saiyan".

Vincentdante

Student Council President
Yeah, I was going to say that thinking "Saiyajin" is correct really takes me back a decade or two, before people became aware that it literally translates to "person who is a Saiya", or as we'd write it, "Saiyan".
Yep. My Japanese lessons rarely get any use anymore but it is fun to read through the occasional misconceptions.

Last edited:

Azar

Magical Girl
Y'know I speak enough Japanese to tell you that this is an incorrect translation and Saiyan is legitimately more accurate despite what fans might protest.

I wonder if the Saiyajins speak Saiyago? :p
Im just going by what I hear, thats all.

Like, I was watching Death Billiards earlier and I was hearing the characters say Billiards but the subs were saying Pool, things like that just bug me... :p

Azar

Magical Girl
Another one that bugs me is when they translate the word manga to comics. Unless they're actually reading american comics, it just feels unnecessary. They never seem to translate anime to cartoon either.

Cold Cobra

I'm entirely trustworthy...
AUKN Staff
One of my "favourites" was Renji in the original Japanese Bleach clearly saying "Howl" in English, yet the Japanese subtitle track still wrote "Roar" to match the US dubbing... He literally spoke English at me and you're telling me I understood it wrong?! :p

One of my "favourites" was Renji in the original Japanese Bleach clearly saying "Howl" in English, yet the Japanese subtitle track still wrote "Roar" to match the US dubbing... He literally spoke English at me and you're telling me I understood it wrong?! :p
it's probably down to the translators only being handed the script and told to do your best, i remember when the Valkyrie Drive Game came out one of the translators said they had no context for all or most of the stuff and some of the translations they did they could've done slightly better had they had the source of it

it's probably down to the translators only being handed the script and told to do your best, i remember when the Valkyrie Drive Game came out one of the translators said they had no context for all or most of the stuff and some of the translations they did they could've done slightly better had they had the source of it
That might explain this from Violet Evergarden:
there was a scene with a wide shot of some mountains with a citadel on top one called Intense. Now the Japanese VA says Intense (as in the name of the place in English, or whatever the language of the area is) as it is a reference to something she remembers. The sub also says Intense, but they translated an English word (or reinterpretated it) to "beautiful" (as in it was a beautiful view) in the English dub!